Votes: 10 11.9%
  • I smoke but want to stop

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I started smoking whilst at school

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I stopped for more than 3 months, but started again

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
It's true Inchworm. I remember my dad teaching a class at my Church when I was younger about smoking and how it was bad for you.

We were brought up at a time when smoking was not only socially acceptable but sophisticated and desirable. Do you remember the old advertisements we were constantly bombarded with? Check these out:
http://www.chickenhead.com/truth/1950s.html

Then there was also our big screen heros like John Wayne (The Duke) who could so expertedly roll a cigar from the one corner of his mouth to the other and then strike a match on the sole of his boot..... it was such an art and every little boy of the time wanted to be a real He-man like him, so in a way, that also promoted the "want to smoke"

I'm at work right now, so cannot open your advert links right now... will do so when I get home, but I'm sure I'll remeber them.

3 packs a day?? youre lucky to have made it this far! Ludwig, my friend.. please give it up.. you have at least 2 reasons to stop.. your health and Nita`s peace of mind

still cant believe that...3 packs a day.. goodness me.. you must have more money than sense :lol: ( if you were paying UK prices.. youd be spending over £5,000 a year.. thats a new car, a very luxurious holiday.. not to mention a few 10 ft tanks :lol:)

you can do it.. i know you can , but i spose it has to be because you really want to,no one can "tell" you when and how..... oh i hope you give it a go
good.gif

lots of love
shelagh xxxx

From time to time, I have switched over to smoking pipe exclusively, but although it is reported to be (not healthy), but a "healthier" way of smoking (than cigarettes) I find myself coughing a lot more and it is also much more of a hassle when you have to carry all the additional equipment like pipe cleaners, extra filters, tabacco etc. combined with the chores of cleaning which makes cigarrette smoking a lot more convenient and I always revert back.

Another form of smoking, which I also do only when I have a barbeque at my house or entertaining friends, I light up the bubbly and send it around very much like a peacepipe. This again, is reported to be worse than cigarrettes isf as health aspects are concerned.

Do you think pipe smoking or Bubbly smoking is any worse or better than cigarette smoking??? (also electronic smoking - is reported to be harmless.... do you agree with this)

(and of course - I also enjoy the occassional cigar)

I have read somewhere that electronic smoking increases the risk of a type of cancer due to inhaling water vapour/nicotine mixture. I don't know how much scientific evidence can back it up but it gives you something to ponder or to research on while you quit maybe? :hey:

If I was in your position I would limit myself to 1 pack a day for 6 weeks, after that then I'd go cold turkey.

How are you planning to do it?

Do you really, really want to quit?

I started smoking in 1966.... I know it is not good for me and I am thinking of giving up... currently on almost 3 packs of 20 per day.

Have you ever smoked and given up?... How did you do it?... Merely saying that it's "willpower" will not help me much. I enjoy smoking, so find it difficult to just put 'em down....

Give me a good way (not a reason) to stop smoking

HOW MANY!

I think if you want to give up then you will; my dad gave up using patches, you can now get inhalor things to help - apparently they are really good. If you don't want to give up and enjoy it then you'll find it harder. I do think willpower has a big help in it.

My dad gave up smoking; saved what he was spending on smoking and he's been able to treat himself (Holiday, new gold clubs) etc.

I've never tried smoking and never will.

I have been smoking since I was about 13 (now 28). I quit for 3 years at one point. Just woke up one day and decided I was going to quit and that was it. My downfall was one news years eve I was out with a group of friends (all of whom smoked) and decided "hey its new years eve. Why not have a couple of cigs"

Then I remembered how much I enjoyed smoking :)

I don't smoke much (compared to some others), normally between 10-20 a day (10 is about average). But I do feel the effects on my health. My other half smokes as well (more than me but still not as bad as some) and I tend to use this as an excuse for not quitting now "Its hard to quit when someone else in the house is still smoking". The simple truth is that I enjoy it and I don't really want to quit right now.

We don't smoke in the house though (we go outside or at worst stand at the back door). I also never smoke around non-smokers.

Although its annoying because its aimed at me as a smoker I must say I'm happy that the younger generation all seem to be so anti smoking.

I probably will quit again mainly due to cost (between me and lyn we could save close to £4000 a year!!). Health issue comes into it as well but I have always been of the opinion that everyone dies anyway and no matter what you do when its time to go, its time to go. I could have never smoked in my life and have a car crash tomorrow so I do the things that I enjoy doing while I can.

I just need to get to the point where I don't want to smoke anymore (which is coming, especially as we are skint at the moment and the money we waste of smoking would be much better used elsewhere).

When I did quit smoking it was actually pretty easy. The first month I had cravings but because I actually wanted to quit it was easy to ignore them. When you are quitting when you don't want to though it is seriously hard.

If I ever get elected into office (High enough to make a difference) my first mission/Goal is to make smoking illegal in all public places so the only places you could smoke is on your property,or I would try and make it illegal.

That approach has been tried before in the US. They tried it with alcohol in this country once. It gave us the bootleggers who eventually evolved into the first truly organized crime groups of the 1930s. After prohibition was repealed, the crime organizations survived and changed what profitable ventures they went into. They keep changing their focus but are still with us today. What will you do when bootleggers are running cigarettes in from Mexico and Canada?

Thats a very very good point oldman47,but proabition had its flaws,one the border wasn't as tight as it was now.two though i think it would be more logical if it was law no smoking in a public place,i think it was california who might have this law if i am not mistaken.also if i did make it law and all this smugglers came in ,i would dispatch national guard to the borders to help ,and lastly possibly as an extra bonus some one who didn't smoke would get a bigger tax rebate so like 50 cents back,haha just kidding,i know i am very ambitious and have things easyer said then done,but i lost my grandfather to a smoking related death (he didn't smoke but all the uys at the fire house did this was back in this 60's,70's and parts of the 80's, his death to me is concidered a murder to me and if it was illegal to smoke in a public place i may not have to be typeing this,and i would have a gramdpa to go fishing with but this would be my ideal.

That was a nice curve ball oldman47 got any
more?

Ouch!!!... so much for trying.... :lol: This was empty at 6 o' clock... It is now 11 o'clock!!

Smoking.jpg

[/quote]

thats never 5 hrs worth of cigs?

Lud, you really really need to stop. I myself am an ex smoker (20 a day), I see people day in day out die from smoking related illness and its not nice knowing someone is suffocating and I cannot do anything about it. Can you imagine suffocating?

I just saw those pictures of smokers lungs and I've never even tried smoking (except cigars a couple of times..)

It gives me a headache and irratates me the smell of other smokers smoke. Also I have family members who got cancer from it so, not good at all.

Most reactions

Back