Votes: 10 11.9%
  • I smoke but want to stop

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I started smoking whilst at school

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I stopped for more than 3 months, but started again

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
i have just gone 5 days without one, then had a few pints today and out came my tobacco!

However, I am not a big smoker, roughly 5 a day. I am 27 now so thats 10 years worth off and on.

I played five-a-side football with my mates on Sunday and I was so ashamed of the state of my body! I was a wreck after 5 minutes of running around! Now thats not ALL down to smoking i know, but it certainly adds to it.

I'm currently trying to limit smoking to 'special occasions' or as a 'treat'.

Basically I think you have to really want to quit to be able to.

Its concerning that you 'panic' if you have 10 fags left and you always try to have 60 on your person!! I think there's more to the addiction than just the nicotine.

It will take A LOT of effort, but try and work out what the trigger is for you to need a cig. A big unconscious part is the actual inhaling of the smoke, the need to have something to hold between your fingers etc.

Maybe a scare tactic might work? Research what smoking 60 cigs a day does to your body.

I've never smoked in my life and will never start to smoke ever. A lot of people start this devasting habit while in school simply because they "see their mates doing it". That to me shows three things, non-obedience to the law, lack of autonomy and lack of respect for your own health.

With regards to smoking in public, I think it's wise that people are only permitted to smoke out in the open because it's an unhealthy habit that shouldn't be affecting other peoples wellbeing.

Well, things are getting pretty stressful around here now. It's not so much my giving up. That's going fine (I have strong willpower when I have a reason to use it), my mother in laws exacerbation of her chronic obstructive pulmonary disease the other day has stirred lots of things up. There's the anger where my wife and other in laws tried telling her she needed to quit smoking or shed end up dying, but that was all ignored. So this was preventable. Yesterday m-I-law went to doctors to get a check up and was told that if she has a single cigarette, it could kill her. And next time she has an exacerbation it will probably kill her. My wife is still smoking but I think I've found the key to getting her to stop. Does she want our daughter going through what she is going through with her mum?

Most reactions

Back