Votes: 10 11.9%
  • I smoke but want to stop

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I started smoking whilst at school

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I stopped for more than 3 months, but started again

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
I started smoking in 1966.... I know it is not good for me and I am thinking of giving up... currently on almost 3 packs of 20 per day.

Have you ever smoked and given up?... How did you do it?... Merely saying that it's "willpower" will not help me much. I enjoy smoking, so find it difficult to just put 'em down....

Give me a good way (not a reason) to stop smoking

sorry but to actually anwser with what you asked (not a debate)

maybe put the money you would spend on fags a day into a container and set your mind on something you would like...
in a few weeks you might be able to afford it..

well its not really a way to give up but it might intice you to try..

be careful Ludwig cos I know two people who have given up after 30-40 yrs and then popped there clogs almost straight away!!

be careful Ludwig cos I know two people who have given up after 30-40 yrs and then popped there clogs almost straight away!!
No thats a big help si :rofl: :rip:

I too smoke around 30-40 a day, much like my avitar, I often think of giving up, but as you say i enjoy it and panic about how i will cope without fags...i always make sure i have 60 on my person,and if i run lower than ten iam panicing

I've given up twice before. I always enjoyed it. Hence taking it up again.

First time, I scared myself a bit, with the amount I was going through. My other motivation was a girl, she didn't like smokers, so I quit, and asked her out. Didn't smoke for over a year while we were together, the started again.

The second time was when my wife fell pregnant. We didn't want a smokey house.

So I guess my best advice would be find some motivation. Whether it be health, something you want which you can't have, money, or anything.

In this country quitting would save you £15 per day. Which in real terms would be roughly £105 per week or £5250 a year. Don't know about you but there's a lot of presents I could get myself as congratulations with that.

So step 1 is motivation.
Step 2, do it. All the meaning and thoughts mean nothing without action.

Another trick, replacement therapy. Every time you want s cigarette, have something else, a mint maybe.

Obviously some find it harder than others, but I wish you luck. It can be very hard.

i dont know if there good or if they work but nicorette do a plastic fag like thing which has very little nicotine init so you could maybe use those to cut down then eventually stop using those to quit completly?

this thing http://www.nicorette.co.uk/stop-smoking/products/inhalator.aspx

dont know if they work but saw it advertised probably would cost you just as much as smoking though lol but would help you cut down i guess

maybe i did know something that might help after allit was chriss's post which reminded me of it!

ash

I've been a smoker since I was 14 and would get together with some of my friends and sneak smokes in the girls room at school. Back then cigarettes were .25 a pack in the machine at the supermarket. Now they are $7 - $8 a pack (or more) and if you look young, they ask for your ID before they sell them to you. For a long time I was smoking two packs a day. I can't actually say I got pleasure from it but that didn't matter. I was hooked. It was just something I did.

Over the years I quit a number of times, twice successfully, other times not. The last time I had stayed off for just weeks short of two years. Then temptation came along in the form of a neighbor. When he found out I used to smoke the same brand he did, he literally put them in my hands and lit them for me. Gee, isn't this what drug pushers are supposed to do to people?

Anyway, at that point they tasted sooooo good. I was hooked again. It later dawned on me that he and his wife did this deliberately so they could borrow them from me when the end of the month rolled around and they ran short of money. They also borrowed eggs, teabags, sugar, and anything else they needed. Sometimes they would return them, sometimes they wouldn't. I tried to be understanding of their financial situation but when they borrowed from me five times within two days, I finally saw the light. In fact, I got angry and called the state quit smoking program. They sent me some free nicotine patches and I started using them.

So, right now it has been 41 days since I've had a cigarette. I'm still using the 21mg strength and have two step downs to go through, so it will be a couple of months before I'm finished. The addiction is still there but the cigarettes aren't.

I wish I had done this before but I honestly couldn't see how the patches would help. In the past I quit cold turkey and got the nicotine out of my system within the first three days. It would seem like that would be the hard part but for weeks and weeks after that I would find myself constantly thinking about smoking, reaching for a cigarette, and otherwise obsessing about them. It was that part that almost always caused me to get disgusted and give up. I tried the pills but they just made me loopy while I was thinking about them.

With the patches, the thinking about them eased up right from the start. It's like having an old friend who moved away but you still remember. I can't say I crave them at all, but I do think of them once in a while at least every day. If it doesn't get any worse than this, I believe I can do it.

TBH, I have to do this. I have COPD and already have trouble breathing. The funny thing is that even so, I couldn't quit. It took the pesty neighbor to annoy me to the point where I was ready to stop. Anyway, Ludwig Ventor, if the time comes that you do want to quit, give the patches a try. This is a forum I found helpful too. :D

I've given up twice before. I always enjoyed it. Hence taking it up again.

First time, I scared myself a bit, with the amount I was going through. My other motivation was a girl, she didn't like smokers, so I quit, and asked her out. Didn't smoke for over a year while we were together, the started again.

The second time was when my wife fell pregnant. We didn't want a smokey house.

So I guess my best advice would be find some motivation. Whether it be health, something you want which you can't have, money, or anything.

In this country quitting would save you £15 per day. Which in real terms would be roughly £105 per week or £5250 a year. Don't know about you but there's a lot of presents I could get myself as congratulations with that.

So step 1 is motivation.
Step 2, do it. All the meaning and thoughts mean nothing without action.

Another trick, replacement therapy. Every time you want s cigarette, have something else, a mint maybe.

Obviously some find it harder than others, but I wish you luck. It can be very hard.
no offense but woouldnt the constant purchasing of mints off set the sum a bit?

i dont smoke , i think its ok for people to smoke outside and in their own home as longs as there arent any kids around and if they were there first ie. the tram example

imo ludwig id do the $ jar, get yourself some nice looking fish hahaha

have been put off doing anything bad for the sole reason of having an example to look at, a kid at school (who recently got expelled :D ) smoked cigarretes and marijuana, he was so hooked he had a special carved out apple where he would do it so that he wouldnt get cuaght. he was very fat, ugly and tbh not a nice guy.
plus the fact i have been promised a death sentence from my parents if i did anything "bad" which includes from bad grades to worse

I smoked a pack of 25s for over 20 years.

Gave up recently, used the nicotine patches.
I started with the pre-quit patches, you can still smoke while wearing the patch.

I used a different approach this time round, if I felt like a cigarette I had one, didn't kick myself, just perservered.
It ended up taking about 5 month to get completely off them.

Do I feel better for it? Not really. But hey...I guess I may live longer to think about it
laugh.gif

i used to smoke up to five packs a days i give up in the late 80s early 90s
but i dont mind other people smoking i dont like the idea of the smoking ban
as it as killed the local pub

ps i started smoking in the 70s when i was 11

pps i also give up over night woke up that morning
and said no more ciggies and that was the end of it

I never have and never will.
My friend started smoking at 8 years old and never stopped. She's 13 now and still smoking. Her mum knows and does nothing about it. She has a ciggy on the way home from school which really annoys me because i hate it when people smoke.

Alessa x.

Since we are not allowed to smoke in our offices, I got myself these electronic cigarettes (which are legal to smoke) to smoke during meetings when we do not get enough "smoke breaks".... They do help in a minor way, but is no substitute for the real thing.

Anybody else tried electronic smoking??

Not tried it but know people who have. They obviously still require will power, but some findnit much easier.

The bonus with them is it gives your hands something to do. And the physical action of smoking is one thing which you will miss when quitting, so they help a lot with that.

I smoked for 12 years, 20 a day unless I was drinking then it would be 40-60! I really enjoyed it. I have not had one in 3 years but just the smell brings it all back! I have no objection to people doing it, it is our body to do with as we please! Same as being overweight, tattoos, piercings and all the stuff that some people see as not socially correct even down to hairstyles!

To get back to the point though, I decided to quit, tried patches for a week but felt they were useless! I then went cold turkey, and that is how its been ever since! The smell of a cigarette sometimes makes me want one then on occassions makes me feel sick!

Anyway Goodluck in whatever you decide to do, that is right for you! :good:

Most reactions

Back