Reesy's 20 Gallon Reef Adventure

Hi all,

Update

Went down to my LFS yesterday after work as the hydrometer I bought broke within a couple of days as the main SG measurer came loose and fell out of the pointer, the guy down there was rather helpfull and said because id spent so much there recently he would be happy to replace it, so awsome!

Got chatting to him and was explaining how the tank was going and how Id had no nitrate or nitrite spike and that the ammonia was only 0.6, He said that the rock that I bought off him was full cured and he would be suprised if it had a large cycle. He said that when he made the display in the store (has the same tank) he moved the rock from one to the other and it was out of the water for ten minutes due to complications, He said that he did experience a small cycle with the simular results that I am getting.

He has suggested a product called Bacterins which is bacteria in a solid that disolves in the water and increase the bacteria and should get the ammonia down at an increased pace. Is this true?

Also he has said to put a prawn or flakes into the aquarium so that it kick starts the bacteria into breaking down of food? Will this help or?

Any suggestions to whether what the LFS guy has said will work?

Also the tank stats last night were............exactly the same :/

Regards,

Reesy89

Prawns + Fish Food will produce ammonia with the bacteria will feed on, just like tropicals. I believe thinks like Bacterins are mainly just for tropicals, so not sure if they would work in marines.

The only reason I ask is because he seemed genuine enough and because I've spent the best part of £250 there he said he would give me some for discount? Although he said that he has used this product himself and it help with the cycling of the tank. Could be worth a try?

i've found those products to be duds. You should be able to get the same results by throwing fish food in there and letting it break down. But, if you trust the LFS, why not?

If your cycle keeps going on the ammonia phase for too long, check your tank stats, specifically temperature/sg to make sure they're good. You could be killing off some of your live rock if these stats are way off and that would cause ammonia to be produced.

Hi all,

Update

Went down to my LFS yesterday after work as the hydrometer I bought broke within a couple of days as the main SG measurer came loose and fell out of the pointer, the guy down there was rather helpfull and said because id spent so much there recently he would be happy to replace it, so awsome!

I bet he did, they are so cheap he can afford to do that!

Got chatting to him and was explaining how the tank was going and how Id had no nitrate or nitrite spike and that the ammonia was only 0.6, He said that the rock that I bought off him was full cured and he would be suprised if it had a large cycle. He said that when he made the display in the store (has the same tank) he moved the rock from one to the other and it was out of the water for ten minutes due to complications, He said that he did experience a small cycle with the simular results that I am getting.

True, you may not have a large cycle and the ammonia might just be a very small ammount of die off

He has suggested a product called Bacterins which is bacteria in a solid that disolves in the water and increase the bacteria and should get the ammonia down at an increased pace. Is this true?

IMO total rubbish

Also he has said to put a prawn or flakes into the aquarium so that it kick starts the bacteria into breaking down of food? Will this help or?

you can do this, but why would you - you have some die off which is causing the ammonia, why add more if your rock is fully cycled?

Any suggestions to whether what the LFS guy has said will work?

Expect you can guess what I am thinking!

Also the tank stats last night were............exactly the same :/

If it were me I would do a lrge water change, wait 24 hours and test

Regards,

Reesy89

Seffie x

Update!!

Massivly good news guys, my tank cycle is over!

Tested the water on friday.

PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
SG 1.025

Awsome I thought! did a large water change on the friday night just as a precaution. Woke up saturday very very eager in deed! Went to LFS all excited looking at what I could potencially buy!

Went home and did my tests as i gave it 16 hours from my water change and there was no change more or less!

PH: 8.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
SG: 1.026 (increased it during the water change as the advice that has been given on this thread)

So like a happy little chappy I went straight to the LFS before they closed.

As I am a little tight on the money this month I only bought 5 red legged hermits although 1 of them doesn't have red legs instead the are brown and rather fury? Can anyone make a suggestion as to what that little critter could be.

Will update with pictures when my parents get back off holidays tonite as they took the camera :/

Wooo! Cycled!

Cheers,

Reesy

Photo updates

tank.JPG
Full Tank Shot

rlh.JPG
Red Legged Hermit

rlh2.JPG
Unknown Hermit, can anyone ID?

Cheers,

Reesy

Hard to tell from the side a full frontal would be easier to ID it looks like legs are black is this the case?

Also is one claw bigger than the other or both large or small claws in comparison to the body?

Dang! I'll try and get another picture then.

They all seem to be rather happy and crawling all over the tank atm, Thought something went wrong day after i put them in as I came home and all thehermits had gone so i assumed the worst then when the light was turned off and the moonlights were on the all emerged from under the rocks like in pirates of the carribean (when they walk under the boat, underwater)

Considering getting fish on the weekend but will have to depend if the stats stay at a steady pace which they have so far, looking good.

Hey,

Got another picture of the hermit, this time from the front.

Hermit.JPG
Mystery Hermit

Also can anyone suggest what this little thing could be?

Hermit2.JPG

It appears to be some sort of slug? It moved from one side of the red box to the other and crawled under the rock. The dark middle bit seems to be a slug kind of creature and the light black area seems to be a flappy skin extension the kind that a Ghost Knife fish has (freshwater)??

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Reesy

Most reactions

Back