Reesy's 20 Gallon Reef Adventure

Hey all,

Picture update time!

Cleaner.JPG
First we have the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Bonnie_and_Clyde.JPG
Introducing Bonnie and Clyde to the Fish Forums!

Clown.JPG
Up close of Clyde

FTS.JPG
And the absolutely necessary Full Tank Shot.

Not great picture but the little things are swimming really frantically! lol

Any comments welcome :)

Cheers,

Reesy

I think they are great photos, don't forget to add Bonnie and Clyde to the clowns, fish of the week thread, so they can take their rightful place :D with all the other clowns :good:

Seffie x

Another small update.

I have managed to interest my clowns into the marine flakes!! They seem to be lapping them up with great joy so hopefully they will be satisfied with that till pay day so I can buy them a variety pack at the LFS.

Another small update.

I have managed to interest my clowns into the marine flakes!! They seem to be lapping them up with great joy so hopefully they will be satisfied with that till pay day so I can buy them a variety pack at the LFS.

very nice additions. My clowns won't take flakes. Love enriched brine and mysis, though. Also will eat algae flakes.

Well the first time i fed them the flakes the didn seem interested at all, I think its because in the pet shop when they feed them the have to slide the top of the tank which makes a noise and they have got used to it and they come to the top. Although now they are kinda trained, when i put the enriched brine in i tapped the top of the hood and it seemed to spark something in them to rise, so yeterday i tapped again and they came to the top and readily accepted the flakes, so i'm thinking the first time they were not sure wat the flakes were, also i crushed them up a little more this time too.

Was well chuffed.

Good job

I remember years ago my ex husband's mother used to ring a bell to tell her fish it was food time - worked even if she wasn't standing next to the tank.

My fish just need to catch a glimps of me in the room and they start begging!!!

Seffie x

Good job

I remember years ago my ex husband's mother used to ring a bell to tell her fish it was food time - worked even if she wasn't standing next to the tank.

My fish just need to catch a glimps of me in the room and they start begging!!!

Seffie x

Haha thats is very wierd!

I've hit a problem! I have Maaaaaaaaaajor Diatoms attack! The rocks are completely brown and what looks like dust in strings growing on the rock! Consulted the LFS man and he suggested Turbo snals to keep the algea on the glass down but says that the algea relies on a metal in the water that just needs to run its course?

Any ideas! Tank is looking really manky!

Cheers,

Reesy

I've hit a problem! I have Maaaaaaaaaajor Diatoms attack! The rocks are completely brown and what looks like dust in strings growing on the rock! Consulted the LFS man and he suggested Turbo snals to keep the algea on the glass down but says that the algea relies on a metal in the water that just needs to run its course?

Reesy

blooming lfs guy - metal in the water causing diatoms, heard it all now :rolleyes: the diatoms are just a normal part of your tanks evolution - you need to buy some sand shifting snails like verbix or ceriths or even both. Have you got any hermits?

Seffie x

Ye i thought he was abit wrong lol, What causes it and how can i get rid of it? Its all over the tank glass the back and all over the rock :crazy:

Saying that though I bought 5 turbo snails and put them all on my rock at the front of the tanks and they got to work straight away! It was awsome! Might buy another 10 of them to keep the algea at bay when i get enough money or will that be to many snails?

I was going to buy orange sand sifting snails but they were £8 each :crazy:

My CUC consists of 5 turbo snails 4 red leg hermits and one unidentified hermit and 1 Cleaner Shrimp.

What kinda of sand sifting fish could i get?
Scooter Blenny? (not sure if the sift the sand tho?)
Diamond Goby?

On the plus side tho a couple of the hermits have shed their bodies so must mean i'm doing something right?

Cheers,

Reesy

Ye i thought he was abit wrong lol, What causes it and how can i get rid of it? Its all over the tank glass the back and all over the rock :crazy:

Saying that though I bought 5 turbo snails and put them all on my rock at the front of the tanks and they got to work straight away! It was awsome! Might buy another 10 of them to keep the algea at bay when i get enough money or will that be to many snails?

that cuc should be enough, don't buy another ten

I was going to buy orange sand sifting snails but they were £8 each :crazy:

My CUC consists of 5 turbo snails 4 red leg hermits and one unidentified hermit and 1 Cleaner Shrimp.

What kinda of sand sifting fish could i get?

What do you like the look of - you don't have to have one, it will cut down on your fish choice for the tank

Scooter Blenny? (not sure if the sift the sand tho?)
Diamond Goby?

On the plus side tho a couple of the hermits have shed their bodies so must mean i'm doing something right?

yes, they often do this when going into a new tank - make sure you have extra shells for them or they will nick the turbos shells

Cheers,

Reesy

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie,

I thought that 3 of my hermits had just had no will to live anymore and jumped outta their shells lol.

But then i realised they wer actually inside the shell munching on their shed skin.

Been reading alot online about algea issues and Diatoms, going to put my tank through a stage of darkness and change the tank water once every 3 days. Online it says that doing a water change can take away all the nitrate and nitrites that the algea needs to suvive on however I'm hoping that eventually getting rid of all the algea will not cause a nitrite or nitrate spike? :crazy:

Any idea as to if this could happen as a result? If so i'll setup a QT tank for my Bonnie and Clye?

Cheers

Reesy

Shouldnt need to change all the water. Get your phosphates zero. Do a 25% water change, scrape off all the algae and then give it a day of darkness.
Most new tanks have an algae stage

Good news,

As far as the war on algea is going.....I'm winning!

I have been keeping the tank in the dark for majority of the day and puting the light on for an hour to feed them. The snails and the hermits are working together and the rocks are looking pretty clean :)

Tomorrow I will be using the algea scrapper and going to town on the glass and getting rid of all the dirt and muck off the glass, saying that tho the snails have done a good job and you can see their trails.

have been making sure not to over feed the tank and luckily the steps that i have taken have proven to work so I am well chuffed and hopefully back on the road to a nice algea free tank.

Woooooop!

Reesy

Most reactions

Back