Pearls Of The Antilles... Llj's Planted Marine

They are great for Target feeding corals and also killing aptasia anemonies with Lemon juice or Joe's juice.

I found that hydrochloric acid works well, dose in small quantities though! Nothing beats a soldering iron however.

I don't have a soldering iron, SBS. I have insulin syringes. So, I'll use what I got. But some of the funniest threads I've read have been aiptasia killing threads. People get really serious and evil. There was one where I couldn't stop laughing because he was so happy to be killing these things.

Then we've got Monochrome5 here making aiptasia cool by giving them a home.

You gotta do the SW again. It's fun. If I do another tank, I wanna do Red Sea... Some cool fish from that area.

Are we going to see this journal back in the marine sections Liz?

Decisions...

Will opt for the Belkin 11 outlet powerstrip pictured on page 8. Not opting for digital timers. Will do the plain ones. Cheaper... Got a lot answers with regard to the RO unit (from reading SH's RO thread & I had to go elsewhere, sorry), so expect an RO installation post tomorrow. I need to just hunker down and do it, or this tank won't go beyond the planning stages. 9 pages of planning is plenty, time to start doing. :good:

When I go to the grocery store & stock up on these items...

55039723.jpg

Something's going to happen... :)

Stay tuned.

Reverse osmosis beer :lol:

When I saw that pic I thought £5 for a pack of gum :crazy:

Then remembered you were in US lol :rolleyes:

Reverse osmosis beer :lol:

Now why would anyone do that? :lol:

When I saw that pic I thought £5 for a pack of gum :crazy:

Then remembered you were in US lol :rolleyes:

Yep in the US... Still haven't done anything yet. Still working on other stuff for here. :( Sigh...

Mmmm...edible packing peanuts. Well, if they're the edible kind anyway. :lol:

I'm curious though why the mag/strontium combo? Took a look over the last couple pages I hadn't looked at in a while but didn't see anything (which, if my price-finding attempts on LFS tanks are anything to go by, often means it's right in front of my face and I missed it anyway).

Mmmm...edible packing peanuts. Well, if they're the edible kind anyway. :lol:

Goes with the beer... They do look like the candy peanust, though, don't they!

I'm curious though why the mag/strontium combo? Took a look over the last couple pages I hadn't looked at in a while but didn't see anything (which, if my price-finding attempts on LFS tanks are anything to go by, often means it's right in front of my face and I missed it anyway).

Honestly, I don't know. Monocrhrome5 and I are exchanging supplies. He's getting planted stuff from me, and I'm sending him Marine stuff. I'll have to look up why they have a mag strontium combo. I know the macro algae will need Ca++, Carbonate, and perhaps Mg. Not sure about Strontium. May get enough just with the waterchanges I plan on doing.

By the way, already on two beers and have done absolutely nothing of what I wanted to do today, so continue to stay tuned... Sigh...

Off topic what is that thing with the clear lid can't read it for the life of me lol

Oh lol I was trying to read it an failing and it was bugging me :crazy:

Honestly, I don't know. Monocrhrome5 and I are exchanging supplies. He's getting planted stuff from me, and I'm sending him Marine stuff. I'll have to look up why they have a mag strontium combo. I know the macro algae will need Ca++, Carbonate, and perhaps Mg. Not sure about Strontium. May get enough just with the waterchanges I plan on doing.

Ah - gotcha.

I have to say WCs doing the elemental balance thing was something I had a lot of faith in until recently when I started investigating Iodide as a possible culprit in some mysterious things I was seeing. I never though I'd have to dose that stuff, but it's apparently being totally sucked out of nearly all my tanks despite regular WCs, most likely by a combination of algae and softies. Not sure about macro, but I could see that some stoney corals might do the same with Strontium; my understanding is that they're more sensitive to needing that element than other aragonite-secreting animals like gastropods. Seems annoyingly hard to find a test kit for it though that's both affordable and gives more than a handful of individual tests.

Yes, I imagine with a macro algae system, I'm going to have really work on the balance game, & have my arsenal of chemicals ready just in case. What were you noticing in your tanks, Donya?

On the positive, I'm going to opt for very easy corals. Let the macros & seagrass take center stage for now. That'll take some of the pressure off, if one aspect of the system isn't so demanding. Expect a revised stock list soon. Still having a bear of a time selecting a stupid crab. The scarlet hermits I think are a go, though in limited numbers, but that centerpiece crab is a pain. May be that I don't opt for one & get more shrimp.

I'm really going to have to try & make some headway today, if I'm to enjoy my new pet rocks before the academic year starts.

3 weeks isn't a lot of time & I've been seriously bogged down. :(

Most reactions

Back