Pearls Of The Antilles... Llj's Planted Marine

regarding the lovely net, some fish should never be netted...
dwarf angels and butterflies, most basslet, any lion or scorpion fish, rabbit fish, seahorses etc.

they all have spikes about themselves that they will stick out if they feel they are in danger, this gets them stuck in the net and is usually not a nice way of moving fishies :) either get a wider meshed net or use something else.

I have both kinds. :D This one was more photogenic. Corydoras are similar and need the wider mesh, but I didn't have a larger net in the fine mesh.

:) oh you clever thing! have you decided on your fish stocking yet?

:) oh you clever thing! have you decided on your fish stocking yet?

Just chalk bass, a small shoal, so essentially, a species tank. Introduced at the same time, and as juveniles.

Liz

Even with wide mesh a file fish shouldnt be netted (I know your not planning on one but might aswell say )

The have a spike that would tangle a trawler net Lol one thing I learnt the hard way :crazy:

Hi Liz,
Sorry I cant get on as much as I used to due to work and fish pressures.

You seem to be taking things slowly and that is very good.
The book is good too, but again its only a guide, don't be afraid to bend the rules a little.
I was crucified in the beginning for some of the radical views I held.
Most salties will tell you not to waterchange so much. but my Nano had twice weekly waterchanges.
I worked on the principal of large sea world aquariums, than pump out old and replenish new sea water on a daily basis
in the end I had Sun Coral spawning in a two foot tank. I had over 30 coral species, 6 fish and 2 shrimp.
Masses of flow.
The one defining factor for me was to employ a sump....this if I'm honest is a real plus also a clip on Halide may suit your needs for lighting
I'll get back to you on occasion when I can
Refractometer and a cheap set of baking weighing scales are good purchases
Regards
C

Hi Liz,
Sorry I cant get on as much as I used to due to work and fish pressures.

You seem to be taking things slowly and that is very good.
The book is good too, but again its only a guide, don't be afraid to bend the rules a little.

Which book? I've got like five. Haha, and who is the biggest rule-bender in the Planted section? Moi. :D

I was crucified in the beginning for some of the radical views I held.
Most salties will tell you not to waterchange so much. but my Nano had twice weekly waterchanges.
I worked on the principal of large sea world aquariums, than pump out old and replenish new sea water on a daily basis
in the end I had Sun Coral spawning in a two foot tank. I had over 30 coral species, 6 fish and 2 shrimp.
Masses of flow.
The one defining factor for me was to employ a sump....this if I'm honest is a real plus

This a macro algae/seagrass system so large waterchanges are in order to compensate for the Ca++ the macros will be depleting from the water column. I can either do 50% a week and not dose, 50% every two weeks and dose, or 25% every week and dose. But of course, these are not set in stone. My planted tanks will often have larger waterchanges 2x a week, and while there are differences between FW and SW plants, there are also similarities. I've got good flow in the system. No sump for me. IMO, not needed with the macros consuming the nutrients. Will actually have to dose nitrates.

also a clip on Halide may suit your needs for lighting

While I like the look of metal hallide, part of the system was to draw on some of my old planted equipment. The CF fixture and the T5 are more than enough to handle the demands of the Ricordea and Mushrooms and the demands of the macros & seagrass I intend to keep. Saves me some money too.

I'll get back to you on occasion when I can
Refractometer and a cheap set of baking weighing scales are good purchases
Regards
C

Already beat ya to the punch, C! Have a refractometer and have the baking scales lying around the house. Am known for fabulous bread. In addition, have a find calibre jewelry scale that I used for planted tank.

I agree about bending the rules a bit, we all do it :look:

Uh huh, very true...

I first like to learn rules before I bend them. :nod:

Well, yesterday I went to Home Depot to look into some lighting timers and power strips for the electrical hardware. I need the following with regard to outlets.

3 for lighting (each on a separate timer, for a stagger dawn/dusk effect)(2 grounded, 1 polarized)
2 for Koralia nanos (polarized)
1 for the Skimmer (polarized)
1 for a heater (polarized)
1 moonlight
1 red night critter light

Powerstrips

So 9 outlets, but to have more is fine, especially for emergencies or incase I have to add more circulation. With the salt corrosion, I like the idea of a covered power strip like this. It also has ample space for timers, and these can be mounted above the floor or in the cabinet of the tank as I don't have a sump taking up space there.

40b38a5b.jpg

53f837df.jpg

I can also go for a more rugged type of strip. This is for workshop use.

48085919.jpg

Timers

I like how this accomodates two grounded, and it's digital, but I'm wondering if I can set each plug individually, or do both plugs have to run on the same timer? Package did not say, which was kind of frustrating.

ce9ef6c2.jpg

If they don't run separately, there are smaller ones that just have one plug.

I can also go with non-digital, which honestly at half the price, it's not a bad option. I've been working with non-digital timers for years and no ill effect. I don't care as long as they work.

dfd52958.jpg

RO/DI Unit Installation

I also posted this topic in the Hardware and DIY section about my RO/DI unit.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/367482-seachem-pinnacle-rodi-unit/

But there are a gazillion views, well not that many, and no posters. help... :sad:

I need to get a move on with this system. The Fall Semester's fast approaching and I won't have the time I have now.

Thanks for looking and thanks for your help. :)

Liz

My god girl, its too late on a Sunday to read 8 pages worth, which page are the pics on lol.

My god girl, its too late on a Sunday to read 8 pages worth, which page are the pics on lol.

Amd that's after I removed some chitchat. Sorry. Pages 6,7,& 8 have more pictures. :look:

Hi Lissette...dose what? SH

Hi SH! :)

Ca++, carbonate, and possibly Phosphorus & Nitrogen.

The Ca++ is to compensate for the macro algae calcification. Many of the species I'm looking into are moderately to highly calcified. Phosphorus & Nitrogen are macro nutrients. Whether I need to dose those will probably be due to my bioload.

I'm too sleepy to remember why I needed to dose KH. All this depends on my waterchanges. If they are large enough, I may not need to dose. I have to find a balance between be killing myself with waterchanges & dosing.

Did you read through all 8 pages? Whoa!

Most reactions

Back