Pearls Of The Antilles... Llj's Planted Marine

Yeah, I know. All cleaner shrimp look alike to me. :lol:

Regarding the slug, yes, I know they eat algae. So does the crab. Some of my species though are not consumed by inverts or fish. Some are... I still like the slug. I figure 1 in a 36g might not be too bad & I can replace what he eats. Many macro tanks have some algae eaters, otherwise the macros grow too large & start overrunning the corals. The macros can also go "sexual" if not maintained.

Good point though. Slug wouldn't be added until the tank matures anyway, if it's added at all.

Liz

Yeah, I know. All cleaner shrimp look alike to me. :lol:

Regarding the slug, yes, I know they eat algae. So does the crab. Some of my species though are not consumed by inverts or fish. Some are... I still like the slug. I figure 1 in a 36g might not be too bad & I can replace what he eats. Many macro tanks have some algae eaters, otherwise the macros grow too large & start overrunning the corals. The macros can also go "sexual" if not maintained.

Good point though. Slug wouldn't be added until the tank matures anyway, if it's added at all.

Liz

I like the slug but not chance of keeping up with the amount of algae they eat, it dosent grow quick enough in our tanks.

andywatson29, have you kept this particular slug? What are you basing your information on? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to know as the information on some of the species has been conflicting. I had to debate a bit in another forum for the chalk bass. Some people claimed that chalk bass grew to be 6" mosters that ate everything in the tank. That doesn't go with what most the literature says. They were also keeping solitary fish, when the lit says that they are social.

The palatable species of algae on that list are the Acetabularia, Halimeda incrassata, Halimeda discoidea, and the Ochtodes. Elysia crispata, according the lit and the slug forum I visited (yeah, there's a sea slug forum) has a very specialized diet, so why would you think it would go through all the macro in my tank? Symbiotic plastids from Halimeda incrassata (first macro pictured) is one of the plastids that have been found in the body of the slug. Other species plastids found in the slug include Bryopsis, Derbesia, and Caulerpa, which are not even on my macro list. They don't just eat random algae and are a difficult species to keep alive for an extended period of time. On the flip side, they breed pretty well in the aquarium. If you're going to die, might as well have some fun before you go... :hey: The challenge is figuring out which algae a particular specimen will eat, and then providing it with lots. A challenge to say the least, but a possible one for a mature system. If I found a particular algae that it would eat, that algae would be kept in a refugium type setup where that species could be harvested for the slug.

By all means, if you've got a source that I've not read yet that backs up what you're saying, let me see it, so I can check it with the sources I've read. At any rate, it's a species for a mature tank, not for a new setup, so plenty of time to figure out if it's the correct choice.

The other algae-eater is the Mithrax crab, but no one's said anything about that one, and it also would prefer the Halimeda species and probably the Acetabularia. Probably some of the snails too, but I don't think they'll do the same potential damage.

Liz

EDIT: I don't normally link to another forum, but this is pretty specialized information.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall/elyscris

Looks like Mithrax may be off the list soon. Rather than eat specific types of algae like the slug does, mithrax likes to eat all types of algae & I'd potentially be offering him a buffet of greens.

This is the problem with combination systems. What's reefsafe may not be macro algae safe, and vis versa. Big challenges for stocking.

Have read about a dozen profiles for the following crab.

Stenorhynchus seticornis - Yellowline Arrow Crab. They had them at that local store as scavengers, consistent with the literature. I've seen them in the reef display tanks in several stores.

fe838f7b.jpg

Definitely not an algae eater, but about half the sources say it's not reefsafe, as it eats beneficial worms (bristle worms). The other half say it's fine. Granted, my tank isn't as heavy a reef as other tanks. There is also a possibility that bristle worms are not as beneficial to my macro algae. Decisions, decisions.

Liz

It is supposedly true that they eat bristle worms but Bristle worms are only beneficial because they eat left overs and clean the lr but if you have a good cuc then you can run a system bristle worm free without problems :good:

But worth mentioning They get to around 8 inches I saw one in my lfs about 6 inches the other day :hyper: the crab that is re

And they won't tackle big worms until adult so you've got abit of time until the worms are all gone any way :good:

It is supposedly true that they eat bristle worms but Bristle worms are only beneficial because they eat left overs and clean the lr but if you have a good cuc then you can run a system bristle worm free without problems :good:

But worth mentioning They get to around 8 inches I saw one in my lfs about 6 inches the other day :hyper: the crab that is re

And they won't tackle big worms until adult so you've got abit of time until the worms are all gone any way :good:

Supposedly bristle worms can destroy macro algae too. Lots of "supposedly" in this hobby. My favorite response was from someone in another forum when I asked about this crab.

Crabs can be hit or miss. One mithrax will play nice and the next one will rip apart everything it touches.

I had a great Sally Lightfoot crab even though the consensus seems to be that they are evil. If you setup a hospital tank get whatever crabs you like and evict them to the hospital tank if they cause trouble.

Hahaha! Banished to quaranteen if you turn evil!! :devil:

Reason #7,575,775,755,775,774,479,829,438,808,190,738,105,804,328,438,502 to have a quaranteen/hospital tank. :lol:

Liz

or sump! the times i have seen sump monsters lurking, ready to attack innocent fingers...

Hi if I remember you are doing a planted marine tank and I found this video looks pretty cool B-) :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GebmsskRi7s&feature=related
I think I might start saving up to get a bigger tank and having some plants in it now. :)

Hahaha, Sorgan, you are funny! No, no sump for me. But quarantine, yes.

Yes, MrLiam, that's George Farmer's planted Marine. I read his PFK blog after I began journal. Very pretty, but I'm going in a very different direction as I also plan on corals & seagrasses. It's more of a mixed system & it's a biotope as well, so that poses a different set of challenges.

To be honest, while I think the tank is pretty, it almost doesn't even look Marine to me. If it's a Marine, don't try & hide it. I don't think that was his intention, but I think you can marry the aesthetics of Aquascaping & still retain the typical characteristics of a Marine system. Also not a fan of Banggai's, preferring more active fish. My system will give distinctly more "aggressive" vibe. His is very tranquil. Both have their appeal.

Liz

Have to agree, not a fan of Bangaiis at all - fishy wont be happy!
Nice markings but just too docile for me and they look dopey!

Liz I love the macros, makes me want to do a planted marine now that I am losing my planted tank! Best of both worlds. Hmmmm the options I have haha! Can't wait to see the tank progress as you have certainly done all your homework properly :p

Have to agree, not a fan of Bangaiis at all - fishy wont be happy!
Nice markings but just too docile for me and they look dopey!

Liz I love the macros, makes me want to do a planted marine now that I am losing my planted tank! Best of both worlds. Hmmmm the options I have haha! Can't wait to see the tank progress as you have certainly done all your homework properly :p

Thank you. I can't stress enough for people to do their homework and read multiple sources. Some of my stocking choices are strange and I had to make a case for them when I was asking about them. You can't go on just one opinion in this hobby. Too many "supposedly"s. If you've got multiple sources, you can make a better case for keeping what you want.

I'll let you know if it's a good option when I get closer to setup. It hasn't been easy. I have to read about corals and macros. Can't have strict herbavores (unless they have real specialized diets). Can't have animals that aren't reefsafe either. Mixed systems are tough. Gotta find a balance that'll please everyone.

Already the Acetabularia is a problem plant. Grows in very hot, dirty conditions, and for all its cuteness, it's "supposedly" a pest. Not consistent with what I've read. So, I need to read some more sources and figure out if that's just one person's experience with the macro, or is this consistent with a few sources. So have to dig more on that species.

Liz

I got a package in the mail today... :D I'm excited, cannot wait to open it! But I'm at work... :shout:

My package from Drs. Foster & Smith came today...

Big box... Slaroc is always lurking.
f9ba1e06.jpg

Two Koralia Nano 425s
1142b931.jpg

The Hydor Slim Skim Nano

d17c9709.jpg

51807fe2.jpg

Thermometers (one for the main tank, one for quaranteen)

4dad7615.jpg

My test kits. I got test kits! You're supposed to get test kits. Not ragging on any of you guys, but when you test your own water, you can decide the best course of action when something is amiss, especially when it's 2am and something goes wrong. You also really avoid the whole lfs trying to sell you a quick fix when they test your water. Sorry, I tend to not trust the lfs, even if they are reputable. Salifert is very expensive, I'd rather get a cheaper tests and at least have them than go without. Went with API for now, may go a different route later as the reef progresses and opt for better quality test kits, but at least I've got test kits. Rant over. I still think I need like two more, but I'm good through the cycling process and can test my Ca and Carbonate hardness.

18f378d2.jpg

42546b63.jpg

I opted not to get a hydrometer, instead going for a refractometer. This seemed like a reasonably priced one and it got pretty good reviews. Several people have it.

6ab83629.jpg

3187bc42.jpg

88ebd34e.jpg

I also got two Eheim Jager heaters at 75W. I prefer to underheat tanks. Got two incase one busted. Happens. In the next few days I'll be making a list of the rest of the things I need. The plan is to head over to Big Al's at Tamarac, FL about an hour from my house. It's the biggie lfs in South FL. It's like a mini aquarium. I'll take pix, promise.

Also, will be including detailed write-ups on each of the products as I set them up, so be prepared for these types of posts as I begin the process of setting up the tank.

Hopefully my moonlights will show up soon.

Liz

Hi if I remember you are doing a planted marine tank and I found this video looks pretty cool B-) :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GebmsskRi7s&feature=related
I think I might start saving up to get a bigger tank and having some plants in it now. :)

i have to say that is the most hygenic and clean-looking marine tank i have ever seen

p.s id say bangaiis arent that boring, my girl is pretty cool, and tbh the royal gramma (a basslet like your chalks) tends to be skittish or hang low

but still chalks are pretty awseme i was considering them when i started out as they have nice colors and are social, and imo would look much better than a shoal of drab pale blue chromis...

cant wait to see pics this is very intresting.

:) another hydor convert, that's the same tests I use aswell.

Most reactions

Back