New to the forum

Either yet another water change, or wait. At least you have half the amount of nitrite than you did an hour ago. It's probably around 5 now, and once the nitrite eaters grow some more the nitrite level will drop dramatically.
I think at this point / time of night il leave it for now.

Is it worth testing in the morning? Or wait 24 hours?

James, how's it going? I take it you are still engaged in nitrite warfare? We will still have that tank opening virtual party, might just have a wait a bit longer.

James, how's it going? I take it you are still engaged in nitrite warfare? We will still have that tank opening virtual party, might just have a wait a bit longer.
Going to test when I get home at 5:30. I nipped back on my lunch to walk the dogs and scowled at the tank haha

🧐 that'll teach it
If you get the scowl right James, you might have made the nitrite reducing bacteria up their game, let's see LOL either that, or put it in writing to them that you are not happy with their performance.

If you get the scowl right James, you might have made the nitrite reducing bacteria up their game, let's see LOL either that, or put it in writing to them that you are not happy with their performance.
All mums have 'the look'...its universally understood by all who have a mum and guaranteed to get instant submission....maybe you could ask yours for some pointers?

Ok so the latest nitrite test @Essjay
At most it’s 1ppm

Attachments

• 0B6255F3-6C1F-4B05-B252-C5798C912FDF.jpeg
    0B6255F3-6C1F-4B05-B252-C5798C912FDF.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 17
After what's just happened, I would wait another 24 hours and test again to make sure it is below 1.0 ppm

After what's just happened, I would wait another 24 hours and test again to make sure it is below 1.0 ppm
Okay, and if my reading after 24 hours is below this, what’s the next step ?

Do I need to test for nitrate ? Ammonia ph ?
Am I adding more ammonia or water change

Haha it’s all go so confusing 😂

Test again tomorrow. If nitrite is clearly below 1.0, not just about 1.0, add another 2.5 ml ammonia and test in another 24 hours.

Once it starts to drop it usually goes quickly.

Okay so as follows… @Essjay

- Test again in 24 hours (Thursday evening)
- If Nitrite is 0.25 or less, add 2.5ml of ammonia
- Test again 24 hours later (Friday evening)
- If nitrite has disappeared it means the nitrate has consumed it.
- I can now do my big water change & add plants

Or

- Test again in 24 hours (Thursday evening)
- If Nitrite is above 0.25 wait till it drops
- Test again 24 hours later (Friday evening)
- If nitrite has disappeared add 2.5ml ammonia
- Test again in 24 hours (Saturday evening)
- If nitrite has disappeared it means the nitrate has consumed it.
- I can now do my big water change & add plants

Yes that's right. it's going to depend on tomorrow's readings. Though I'd say 0.5 ppm rather than 0.25 ppm.

Great 👍

Now add another 2.5 ml ammonia and fingers crossed it's zero again tomorrow. If it is, Friday is so close to fish shopping, don't add any more ammonia after that.

Most reactions

Back