New to the forum

You only need to take out enough water to dissolve the bicarb in, 100 ml-ish. If the bicarb won't all dissolve take a bit more water.

Try 2 level tablespoons/15 ml spoons to start. Once it has dissolved, pour it slowly into the stream of water coming out of the filter. Wait half an hour then test pH. If it's still below 7.0, repeat with another 2 tablespoons.

You only need to take out enough water to dissolve the bicarb in, 100 ml-ish. If the bicarb won't all dissolve take a bit more water.

Try 2 level tablespoons/15 ml spoons to start. Once it has dissolved, pour it slowly into the stream of water coming out of the filter. Wait half an hour then test pH. If it's still below 7.0, repeat with another 2 tablespoons.
Ok this is done, il test the ph an half an hour and let you know

@Essjay
The ph is now 7.4 and I have added another 2.5ml of ammonia

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That pH is good. And hopefully things will move faster now.

Parents have their uses ;)

Yes they were very helpful as always 🤓 so now that I have learnt that low ph slows the cycle down / prevents it from working, am I correct in thinking that I need to test again in 24 hours (around 6pm tomorrow) and “IF” 🤞 I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite… is it water change time OR do I then add some more ammonia for its final test (hopefully showing zero zero again) and then we’re good to change the water and add the plants? Sorry to ask again it all gets very confusing 😣 @Essjay

Now the pH is higher, things should go faster than the last few days.

Yes, test again tomorrow after 24 hours and if they are both zero, do the big water change and put the plants in.

When you do the java fern, make sure there's someone else around to put their finger on the knot. It is not easy doing it by yourself - been there.

When you do the java fern, make sure there's someone else around to put their finger on the knot. It is not easy doing it by yourself - been there.
I haven't done this as my Javas and Anubias are attached to rocks and stuff. Before I went live plants I had a lot of artificial with weighted bases that I still have. The thing with the bases is that the hole that holds the fake plant goes all the way through. If I ever get more Javas and/or Anubias I think I'll try running the roots through the hole.

When you do the java fern, make sure there's someone else around to put their finger on the knot. It is not easy doing it by yourself - been there

Yes...that's why I use glue 👍🏻

I have read the whole thread today. I can't believe how patient you have been! You are trying to do everything the correct way. I saw the other thread as well.

I have read the whole thread today. I can't believe how patient you have been! You are trying to do everything the correct way. I saw the other thread as well.
Thanks, yeah I guess I have been. Haha. When I got my tank delivered I wasn’t aware of any of this so it was a slight set back. But the end is in sight! Fingers crossed tonight could be the full water change and planting.

Thanks, yeah I guess I have been. Haha. When I got my tank delivered I wasn’t aware of any of this so it was a slight set back. But the end is in sight! Fingers crossed tonight could be the full water change and planting.
We should throw a party mate, maybe a virtual party :banana:

Ah. That's a lot of nitrite. I have no idea why.

All you can do now is test every day until nitrite is below 1 ppm, then add another 2.5 ml ammonia.
The ammonia reading has come down a lot so that should be zero by tomorrow, it's just waiting for nitrite to drop now.

Ah. That's a lot of nitrite. I have no idea why.

All you can do now is test every day until nitrite is below 1 ppm, then add another 2.5 ml ammonia.
The ammonia reading has come down a lot so that should be zero by tomorrow, it's just waiting for nitrite to drop now.
You know more than me on this, but does he need to do a water change? 5ppm nitrite can stall the cycle? Not sure?

@777james777 What did you do yesterday, did you add ammonia as well as the bicarb? Because yesterday's readings were a bit high to add more ammonia; that was only if you did a water change to replenish KH.

However, all is not lost. 1 ppm ammonia is converted to around 2.5 ppm nitrite. There was maybe 1 ppm nitrite yesterday. The most that 3 ppm ammonia could make is 9 ppm (most likely less), added to the 1 ppm already there makes 10 ppm which is still below stall point - that's around 15 ppm.
So don't add any more ammonia until nitrite is definitely under 1ppm. Let ammonia drop to zero, but add no more until nitrite is right down.

Most reactions

Back