New to the forum

@Essjay yes I added the bicarbonate and then added the ammonia. I thought this was what I was suppose to do 😭 ahhh so frustrating Iv been so excited all day.

So now I’m just to leave it, test tomorrow and see we’re it’s up too.

It's my fault, I didn't explain properly.

The highest nitrite can be is 10 ppm, which is below stall point. It should have delayed things more than a day or two, and there's still time till Saturday.

How keen are you on doing a water change. 50% might get nitrite below 5.0 depending what the level actually is. 100 % should get rid of it, maybe not all as there's still be a bit of water in the substrate, but certainly very low.

If you decide to do a water change, test nitrite after half an hour. If it's below 1.0 you can add ammonia. If it's above 1.0. wait till it's below 1 before adding ammonia.

How keen are you on doing a water change. 50% might get nitrite below 5.0 depending what the level actually is. 100 % should get rid of it, maybe not all as there's still be a bit of water in the substrate, but certainly very low.

If you decide to do a water change, test nitrite after half an hour. If it's below 1.0 you can add ammonia. If it's above 1.0. wait till it's below 1 before adding ammonia.
I bet that pump and hose is sounding pretty good right about now, eh?? 😉

If you happy to do a water change, yes it would peed things up a bit. But check nitrite before adding any more ammonia; after half an hour it needs to be below 1.0.

Half way

Attachments

• 6F8836B4-A546-4444-BD89-439E65ADB2EA.jpeg
    6F8836B4-A546-4444-BD89-439E65ADB2EA.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 14
That's fine. As long as you added dechlorinator, either to each bucketful of new water or all of it to the tank before refilling, that's OK. Now just wait for the water to mix thoroughly and test nitrite.

So the test is still showing top end nitrite.
It’s hard to tell but it looks slightly lighter than last time.

What’s the best course of action going forward?
@Essjay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 13
Either yet another water change, or wait. At least you have half the amount of nitrite than you did an hour ago. It's probably around 5 now, and once the nitrite eaters grow some more the nitrite level will drop dramatically.

Most reactions

Back