New to the forum

So a recap on what I have done

Tested the water last night after work at 6pm
The nitrite was 1ppm

Tested the pH and it was around 6.4 so added 2 flat table spoons of bicarbonate soda

Left 30 mins and tested pH to find it had gone back up to 7.4-7.6

Added 1.25 ml of ammonia tested 30 minutes later. Ammonia had risen to 1ppm

Added another 0.75 ml ammonia and went to bed

Woke up and tested the water this morning

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 40ppm
pH 7.6

@Essjay whats the P.O.A ? I’m staying positive 🤗

Test again at 24 hours. Though I realise that will be around 10 pm, so maybe test earlier to see where you are, and if it's still not quite zero, test again at exactly 24 hours. If this time you do have zeros, it'll be a bit late for a water change (unless you want to do one at that time) but could you do a water change, plant plants and then go fish shopping tomorrow?

Looking positive but as you're beginning to learn, don't get your hopes up 😅 get excited when you get those 0s

Test again at 24 hours. Though I realise that will be around 10 pm, so maybe test earlier to see where you are, and if it's still not quite zero, test again at exactly 24 hours. If this time you do have zeros, it'll be a bit late for a water change (unless you want to do one at that time) but could you do a water change, plant plants and then go fish shopping tomorrow?
I’m actually going out to the pub today and will be back at around 10pm, so I will test then.

If I test tonight at 10pm and it’s zeros

Does that mean water change? And NO MORE ammonia ?

Yes, as soon as you get zeros 24 hours after adding ammonia it means no more ammonia and you can do the water change, sort the plants and get fish.

Then sit back and enjoy :)

Ok great. Just out of interest though, how come I didn’t do this back at post 314 when I got 2 zeros ?

On Tuesday in post #299 you had very high nitrite.
On Wednesday, post #308, you had nitrite but less than the previous day.
On Thursday, post #314, you had zero nitrite.

But that zero was not 24 hours after adding ammonia, it took a few days to drop from very high to zero. So at post #314 you didn't have enough nitrite eaters to process a dose of ammonia to zero nitrite in 24 hours.

On Tuesday in post #299 you had very high nitrite.
On Wednesday, post #308, you had nitrite but less than the previous day.
On Thursday, post #314, you had zero nitrite.

But that zero was not 24 hours after adding ammonia, it took a few days to drop from very high to zero. So at post #314 you didn't have enough nitrite eaters to process a dose of ammonia to zero nitrite in 24 hours.
Ahh I see!
Ok well fingers crossed for tonight!

Did you ever add that second dose of Tetra Safe Start? I know you added a small dose to begin. This is going back a while, I think during the first few days of your cycle.

That is so disappointing.

It's a bit late in the day to say this now, but you could always take a risk and get fish - and test for ammonia and nitrite every day after they go in.

That is so disappointing.

It's a bit late in the day to say this now, but you could always take a risk and get fish - and test for ammonia and nitrite every day after they go in.
I think I’d rather make sure it was spot on for them, I dont want to risk putting them in any harm, so I guess that I will plan to go fish shopping on Saturday, what’s the next best step?
Also my plants that are in the water in the bucket, will they be okay

I would plant the plants now. Then, since it'll be another week for fish, add 3 ppm ammonia tomorrow. Because you have a lot of both bacteria, the levels will start to drop quickly, it's not like right at the beginning where ammonia stays at 3 ppm for days/weeks and nitrite off the top of the scale for days in the middle.

Oh man. I thought 0.25 nitrite was a result as well!

James did you ever add that second dose of the Tetra Safe start?

Most reactions

Back