New to the forum

My first fish tank was a fish-in cycle. Not only did I not know what cycling was, but I had fish before I had a tank. My sons came home from the fair with goldfish, and they spent their first night in our house in untreated water in a mixing bowl (the goldfish not my sons). One goldfish didn't make it through the night.
Years and years later, I actually did a fishless cycle, but because I already had tanks by then, I wasn't impatient. I could have used media from the other tanks, but I wanted to find out what happened without adding anything to speed up the cycle.

Not quite yet - there needs to be 2 zero ammonias two days apart ;)
So just to confirm (sorry I keep asking you to repeat this)

Test again in 48 hours (Saturday morning) and hopefully I will see 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite and a reading of Nitrate (if there is still either Ammonia or Nitrite do nothing and test again one or two days later till I get the reading I am looking for. (0 Ammonia & 0 Nitrite)

Then...

When I get 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite what's next?
Feed it again with more Ammonia? OR wait another 48 hours and test again for a second reading of 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite?

My first fish tank was a fish-in cycle. Not only did I not know what cycling was, but I had fish before I had a tank. My sons came home from the fair with goldfish, and they spent their first night in our house in untreated water in a mixing bowl (the goldfish not my sons). One goldfish didn't make it through the night.
Years and years later, I actually did a fishless cycle, but because I already had tanks by then, I wasn't impatient. I could have used media from the other tanks, but I wanted to find out what happened without adding anything to speed up the cycle.
Admittedly I've never done a fishless cycle either...probably because I'm so impatient 😅 I've always had or known someone with existing filters to pinch media from

@777james777

Test on Saturday and Monday and if ammonia is zero on both those days you are ready for the next stage. Or if it's not zero on Saturday, test on Monday and Wednesday and if ammonia is zero on both those days, it's time for the next stage.
Nitrite will probably still be off the top of the scale at this point, it's those ammonia readings to look for; ignore the nitrite reading.

Once you have those 2 zero ammonias, add one third of the amount of ammonia you added a few days ago. That was 2.5 ml, so you need to add 0.8 ml ammonia.
Then test ammonia and nitrite every day until you reach a day where ammonia is under 0.25 and nitrite is under 1 ppm.

@777james777

Test on Saturday and Monday and if ammonia is zero on both those days you are ready for the next stage. Or if it's not zero on Saturday, test on Monday and Wednesday and if ammonia is zero on both those days, it's time for the next stage.
Nitrite will probably still be off the top of the scale at this point, it's those ammonia readings to look for; ignore the nitrite reading.

Once you have those 2 zero ammonias, add one third of the amount of ammonia you added a few days ago. That was 2.5 ml, so you need to add 0.8 ml ammonia.
Then test ammonia and nitrite every day until you reach a day where ammonia is under 0.25 and nitrite is under 1 ppm.
I see, and then when I get that final reading.... (ammonia under 0.25 and nitrite under 1ppm)

Then I empty the tank (how much % do I change??) of the water in the tank?

Refill with tap water making sure it gets to the correct temperature and then I can add the fish and plants. (or is there a waiting period before adding the fish?

No, when you get those readings it's still not quite done :(

What's left to do:
Get those 2 zero ammonias.
Add 0.8 ml ammonia.
Test every day till you have ammonia under 0.25 and nitrite under 1.0
Add another 3 ppm ammonia = 2.5 ml
Test in 24 hours.
If ammonia & nitrite are both zero, do the big water change and when the temp is right go fish shopping. But if one or both are not zero repeat from ** until they both are zero 24 hours after adding ammonia.

Well were getting there! @Essjay ideally id like to be able to go and buy fish on Saturday 2nd September after pay day. Thats the goal but if it takes longer it take longer

@Essjay @CaptainBarnicles

Thoroughly washed tubes and syringe with boiled water.

Ammonia 0 - 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15ppm

Attachments

• 0E31DF40-3AFB-4677-9486-8E9D6FBEDD85.jpeg
    0E31DF40-3AFB-4677-9486-8E9D6FBEDD85.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 12
Now add another 3 ppm - 2.5 ml - ammonia and test tomorrow. If they are both zero, the cycle has finished. If one or both are not zero, post and tell us.

Forgot to say, if it is cycled tomorrow but you can't go fish shopping till next weekend (you mentioned 2 September a few posts ago) we can tell you what you need to do during the next week :)

Now add another 3 ppm - 2.5 ml - ammonia and test tomorrow. If they are both zero, the cycle has finished. If one or both are not zero, post and tell us.
Okay no problem. I will be back home around 4 today, il add 2.5ml of ammonium and then test again Sunday night! And let you know :)

Forgot to say, if it is cycled tomorrow but you can't go fish shopping till next weekend (you mentioned 2 September a few posts ago) we can tell you what you need to do during the next week :)
Well my next step will be plants and ornaments, I’m eagerly waiting till 3pm (24 hours since the last test.

@Essjay if I get a reading of 0 ammonia 0 nitrite today what’s the next step? As I’m keen to get the plants and decor in now

If they are zero and zero yes you can add decor and plants. I would do the big water change before planting any plants. Many people suggest filling it a few inches deep, planting the plants then carefully fill the rest of the water.

If you don't get fish till next weekend you do need to feed the bacteria. The method on here says
If for any reason you are unable to stock the tank when it is cycled, you can continue adding ammonia to keep the tank cycled.
The bacteria do not need to be fed every day so you only need to add ammonia every 2 or 3 days. Use the 1/3 snack dose.

So that's the 0.8 ml dose on Wednesday, then if you get fish on Saturday you won't need any more. That amount of ammonia won't make much nitrate so you won't need another water change before getting the fish.

Most reactions

Back