Ok so did 3 different test and got slightly mixed results

1 @ 8ppm
2 @ 2ppm

@Essjay

Attachments

• 26C58957-244B-4B68-B230-699DC8BA70E9.jpeg
    26C58957-244B-4B68-B230-699DC8BA70E9.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 17
The only thing I can think of is either the test tubes are not thoroughly clean beforehand, or there's a contamination somewhere with your syringe...how you've managed to get 3 different results is peculiar

The only thing I can think of is either the test tubes are not thoroughly clean beforehand, or there's a contamination somewhere with your syringe...how you've managed to get 3 different results is peculiar
I do clean them thoroughly
There has only been tank water in the syringe
Except at the very very start when I put ammonia in it but that was almost a month ago

I will get a fresh syringe from work, clean the test tube with boiling water and do a perfect measurement

However….

In time won’t all of this ammonia start to get eaten by the nitrite anyway ?

I do clean them thoroughly
There has only been tank water in the syringe
Except at the very very start when I put ammonia in it but that was almost a month ago

I will get a fresh syringe from work, clean the test tube with boiling water and do a perfect measurement

However….

In time won’t all of this ammonia start to get eaten by the nitrite anyway ?
Boiling water probably isn't necessary, the glass is delicate (as you've already gathered 😅) so plenty of running water is usually enough.

The ammonia will get converted eventually, yes. But its still important to have an accurate measurement...I doubt there's something dodgy going on, rather user error 🥴 I've come up with all sorts of colours over the years

Boiling water probably isn't necessary, the glass is delicate (as you've already gathered 😅) so plenty of running water is usually enough.

The ammonia will get converted eventually, yes. But its still important to have an accurate measurement...I doubt there's something dodgy going on, rather user error 🥴 I've come up with all sorts of colours over the years
Prior to seeing this ^ I used boiling water and they were okay! But yeah probably wasnt the best idea haha. Oh well. I have also got a new syringe. So will do accurate measurment when home in an hour!

I fill and empty the tubes 5 times in running cold water. Then I half fill, finger over the top and give it a good shake, 5 times. Then stand upside down to drain till I've done them all. Hold the lids under running tap water for at least 10 seconds each. Then get a paper hankie (Kleenex type) and holding one corner screw it into a point and insert into the tube, twisting round and round to dry. One hankie will dry 2 tubes and the other end dries the lids.
I once left a nitrite test for a while before washing and the paper hankie turned blue. I now wash them as soon as I've read the colour.

A narrow bottle brush would also work, being careful not to push it through the bottom of the tube.

Also.... just on a side note.
When all of this is up and running and I go to purchase my fish, they are obviously going to come in a bag of water.

Do you then let the bag of water float in the tank to allow the temperature to adjust?
What if this water is contaminated? or the bag was?

When releasing the fish, do you pour the bag of water into the tank? or net the fish out of the bag?
Obviously pouring the water in will be mixing it?

Honestly 22 years ago when i has fish (bot goldfish and tropical) I just filled a tank up with water and dropped them in haha. I use to clean the filter thoroughly with tap water as well, I dont remember having dechlorinator - i feel so guilty

Always net the fish out, either out of the bag or pour the bag into a container and net the fish out of that. The less shop water that goes in the tank the better.

You will read to float the bag in the tank and add a bit of tank water every 15 minutes for a couple of hours to allow the fish to adjust to your tank water. This is pointless as it takes several days to a couple of weeks for fish to adjust to different water. You only need to float the bag long enough for the temperatures to equalise.

Always net the fish out, either out of the bag or pour the bag into a container and net the fish out of that. The less shop water that goes in the tank the better.

You will read to float the bag in the tank and add a bit of tank water every 15 minutes for a couple of hours to allow the fish to adjust to your tank water. This is pointless as it takes several days to a couple of weeks for fish to adjust to different water. You only need to float the bag long enough for the temperatures to equalise.
Yes sorry thats what i ment, float the bag for like 20 minutes till the temperature equalises.

That's better :)

I can tell the ammonia is below 0.75 ppm - is the nitrite level at 2 or just below?

In that case I would move on to the next stage and add enough ammonia to get 3 ppm.

Then test every 2 days. You are looking for 2 zero ammonia. You'll reach a day when ammonia is zero. Wait 2 days and test again. If it's still zero, you are at the next stage. At this point the amount of nitrite doesn't matter, it's those 2 zero ammonias that matter.

In that case I would move on to the next stage and add enough ammonia to get 3 ppm.

Then test every 2 days. You are looking for 2 zero ammonia. You'll reach a day when ammonia is zero. Wait 2 days and test again. If it's still zero, you are at the next stage. At this point the amount of nitrite doesn't matter, it's those 2 zero ammonias that matter.

Okay, I didn’t realise adding more ammonia was part of the process?

Sorry. So I am to add enough ammonia to make it 3ppm ? (Unsure how I would know how much)

When you say looking for “2 zero ammonia” what does that mean?

I thought I was looking for no ammonia, no nitrite and under 20 nitrate.

I was expecting the nitrite to disappear, sorry can you please explain

Most reactions

Back