New to the forum

Also today I have found some plastic at B&Q and cut it to size for the condensation issue

Attachments

• 67CD0664-6D9F-4AA1-BA5A-F5BBEF87263B.jpeg
    67CD0664-6D9F-4AA1-BA5A-F5BBEF87263B.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 21
That will work a treat, and you've cut a space to feed as well 👍🏻 job's a goodun

Attachments

• 2D33025F-BC75-4B25-81B9-9904C2C91656.jpeg
    2D33025F-BC75-4B25-81B9-9904C2C91656.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 6A7B9B6C-8C4E-4F2B-BF61-BC347ACD1C16.png
    6A7B9B6C-8C4E-4F2B-BF61-BC347ACD1C16.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 59979E02-0E14-43CB-BB78-18712273BE61.png
    59979E02-0E14-43CB-BB78-18712273BE61.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 22
Looking at the photo the ammonia level looks about 8 - is it really that high or is it just the photo? Have you added any more ammonia?

Looking at the photo the ammonia level looks about 8 - is it really that high or is it just the photo? Have you added any more ammonia?
It is really high, no i havent put anymore ammonia in since August 15th (when we spoke about it) Its really baffled me as well.

I could do three sample tests for ammonia, i sometimes wonder if some of the water has more ammonia than others, because its been up and down the whole time.
What do you think?

That is odd. Ammonia should not increase, it should go down.

I need to ask a very obvious question to eliminate it as a cause.
The ammonia test - you add tank water to the mark, add 8 drops from bottle #1, 8 drops from bottle #2, cap the tube and shake it, then let it stand for 5 minutes before reading the colour?

The ammonia reading has thrown me as well

The ammonia is odd, no doubt on that but I don't see 8 PPM. Since I run dual monitors the one I'm viewing on is 'tuned' to my canon camera and printer as to colors and such. Just an old habit from when I used to sell photos on-line so what I see SHOULD be pretty accurate. I see more of a match of 4+ PPM, mayhaps 5-5.5 PPM. Still higher than would be expected. Of course what I see depends a lot on the original photo.

Have you added anything to the tank such as wood and/or other decorations? Have you done a recent water change? The reason I ask about the water change is that it is not impossible that your water supplier was doing work on lines and added ammonia.

That is odd. Ammonia should not increase, it should go down.

I need to ask a very obvious question to eliminate it as a cause.
The ammonia test - you add tank water to the mark, add 8 drops from bottle #1, 8 drops from bottle #2, cap the tube and shake it, then let it stand for 5 minutes before reading the colour?
Correct.

Im also very careful. I will video me doing it tonight and show you

The ammonia is odd, no doubt on that but I don't see 8 PPM. Since I run dual monitors the one I'm viewing on is 'tuned' to my canon camera and printer as to colors and such. Just an old habit from when I used to sell photos on-line so what I see SHOULD be pretty accurate. I see more of a match of 4+ PPM, mayhaps 5-5.5 PPM. Still higher than would be expected. Of course what I see depends a lot on the original photo.

Have you added anything to the tank such as wood and/or other decorations? Have you done a recent water change? The reason I ask about the water change is that it is not impossible that your water supplier was doing work on lines and added ammonia.

I only have sand and stones in there which have been in since day one.

If you look at the other two pictures ^^ (next to the test tube picture) you can see on day 15 I emptied the water (as advised) and added ammonia. I havent done anything since then.
The reading could well be around 5 PPM as opposed to the 8 PPM but still its high.

I only have sand and stones in there which have been in since day one.
That was going to be my next question :) Some plant substrates leech ammonia for several months, but as you don't have one, it's not that.

When you do the test, how do you transfer water from the tank to the tube? For example, I use a 1 ml pipette which I keep with the test kit and use for nothing else. Could whatever you use be contaminated with ammonia eg using the same syringe you dose ammonia with to take water out of the tank?

That was going to be my next question :) Some plant substrates leech ammonia for several months, but as you don't have one, it's not that.

When you do the test, how do you transfer water from the tank to the tube? For example, I use a 1 ml pipette which I keep with the test kit and use for nothing else. Could whatever you use be contaminated with ammonia eg using the same syringe you dose ammonia with to take water out of the tank?
I use the same syringe to remove the water out of my tank.
What I’m going to do on my lunch break in about 20 mins, is simply dip the test tube in the water so there’s no syringe. But I really don’t think it’s that

Most reactions

Back