New Starter

Hello all, update on where i'm up to. Tested tonite and all readings down to zero! Just as well as I had ordered some cuc when we last thought the cycle had finished.

The mix of snails are in and x2 blood shrimp. Everything seems to be ok. Snails busy and shrimps 'hot & spicy' (not my idea to name them!!) are lively.

Kept just the blue LEDs on yesterday and main lights 2 nite.

Latest questions:
shrimps keep their distance then chase each other for a bit. Are they being aggressive, or just weighing each other up?

Do i need to feed them anything yet?

I imagine fish introduction comes next, I was thinking just the clowns or chromis first, then weekly into of others providing tests are ok? Any advice?

The chromis, are blue and green the sane, apart from what the lfs calls them, or are there colour variants?

When do I introduce mushrooms etc?

Thanks

will simply be them sizing each other up..once settled they will pair up and go about together more...
Best to offer them a little food once a day but only enough for them to clean up in a minute or so

Thanks, what should I feed them?

Any advice on the fish questions?

Yes, most shops sell blue/green chromis

If you are going to keep clowns (juvi) then i would buy them first, get two small juvies and watch one become the dominant one, turn female and grow larger, it's fasinating :good:

No reason you shouldn't add some mushrooms now :good:

Seffie x

I have no food yet to feed the shrimp. Can you use a cooked prawn, or do you need to buy food from lfs?

What food should I buy from lfs for when I get fish?

Ta

Bought some flake from lfs and fed the two shrimp. They would actually handfeed, which was rewarding. They are little characters!!

Question, on one piece of lr, there seems to be what looks like spiders web in certain areas, any idea what causes it?

Ok, any response to the last question as it's still on the lr?

Next, today I got my blue knuckle crabs. They were only small. I was shocked to just go down to the tank and find my blood shrimp busily eating one of the poor blighters!! Is this something anyone has experienced? I couldn't believe it!!

there are several types of worms that send out cobweb type nets, to my knowledge all are harmless, just enjoy watching them. I have had one in my tank for ages, never moves

seffie x

Hello Seffie - not seen a response up from you in a while!! Hope you are well.!! ;)

the blood shrimp has just finished off another blue knuckle crab. Now I have non left. Not happy! :angry:

I think I will have to get some much bigger ones next time. I seen some at the LFS today that looked like they would be able to look after themselves.

I have put some Chromis in today. After a few hours hiding, they are now very active and look good. :good:

Its really rewarding to see wild caught animals settling in to your tank.

Next week I am going to put in 2 juve clowns

Tell me, are there any replacement lights for the TL550 that would further enhance the colours of the fish, brighter ones or ones with more UV type spectrum?

Thanks

Hi all. Got a pair of clowns in the tank now along with the chromis. I've noticed non of them seem too hot on flake? Is that normal? Surely they are hungry by now?

I also tried frozen cockle from lfs, again they seemed picky?

Buy some frozen mysis and watch them eat like pigs :good: defrost on kitchen paper to remove the phosphates etc

Seffie x

Will try them on that. Will they not take any flake? Or do you have to wean them onto it?

Most reactions

Back