New Starter

Tangs are to big for a TL550 they need more swiming space not sure anyone has one in a nano but I could be wrong.

My rowaphos is in the same chamber as my heater and chaeto has other one.

Yep agree with Morri - it is a big NO to a regal in the 550.

i had my rowa in one chamber with lr and heater, spraybar chamber had the chaeto in and the last chamber hd the skimmer in

seffie x

:fish:

Can someone tell me about the cycling process and what i need to do. Lr is now in tank but nothing else other than that what I mentioned in the above thread. I am waiting delivery of the test kits that seffie advised to get. I got one of each mentioned.

If you have nt got any test kits yet just sit and wait for them to arrive then start testing every 2 - 3 days looking for

ph 8.2ish
Nitrites 0
ammonia 0
Nitrates >10

The LR will be doing all the work for you make sure your spray bar is pointing upish to disrupt the surface as much as possible and the Power head is pointing at LR

Then watch all the life in your LR for 2 - 3 weeks maybe a little more depending on LR die off and start researching your CuC ;)

You are looking for:

a spike of ammonia
then a spike of nitrite
then a spike of nitrate

when you have had these you will do a 50% water change, test again after 24 hours and if your nitrate is below 10, hopefully 0, then you can go buy your cuc - woo hoo

If your live rock was out of the water for a very short amount of time you may only get a mini cycle.

Post your test results on here and we will help :good:

Seffie x

Hi there

Results were a bit scary:

Salt - (Refractometer was out of stock, so dont have it yet, hence relying on 'wonky' hydrometer) 1.024/25
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite between 0 and 0.05
Nitrate between 0 and 25

Got my cheato today, which I have just left in the main tank for now as I dont have the LED and I want it to get the growth started.

Also got my powerhead which is pointing to the LR.

In terms of the LR, I only had it in transit 20 mins, so I guess that means I may get a short cycle?

Should I test again tomorrow?

I will post a pic asap

Thanks

They are not scary at all :good: sounds like a mini cycle, excellent - test again in 24/48 hours

Seffie x

Hi there
Here are my results from today:

Salt - 1.024/25 - Now 1.024
Ammonia 0.25 same reading
Nitrite between 0 and 0.05 now 0.1
Nitrate between 0 and 25 now 0

Any clues yet as to whats going on?

Thanks

You are still in a cycle - can i ask what test kits you are using?

And, now is the time to up that sg if you are going to keep corals 1.025 or 1.026

Seffie x

I ordered salifert as you reccomended, but ended up with red sea and a waterlife one. I complained to the firm (online) but the guy responded saying these were more expensive than salifert ones??

Is 1.025/6 a bit too high for fish?

How are the results? As expected?

What is causing the ammonia?

Thanks

I ordered salifert as you reccomended, but ended up with red sea and a waterlife one. I complained to the firm (online) but the guy responded saying these were more expensive than salifert ones??

Thanks

The ammonia is coming from die off on your LR once youe cycle is complete it will drop :)

The results are fine as expected cycle time can vary it depends how long your LR is out of water and if it had been cured or not.

1.026 is fine for fish its what most people keep there reef tanks at.

:good:

Thanks

To be honest, he is talking total crap & just trying to avoid having to replace the kits. I use some Red Sea kit and it isn't great, very hard to distinguish a lot of the results.
Get back on to him and say you ordered the Salifert ones, and they are the ones you want.

The results look ok to me, your nitrites are rising as the ammonia drops off, you should then get a spike in Nitrates with a consequential drop in Nitrites.

I thought he was talking trash, but wanted to start testing and opened them. Note to everyone..... Avoid Onlinepetsupplies !

Whilst waiting for the cycle I'm thinking about cuc and the shrimps. How many should I buy and what type are best?

Cam diff types co-habit?

When acclaimatising, do you put them all in one bag and then use the drip method, or do you have to do one at a time?

Ta

Whilst waiting for the cycle I'm thinking about cuc and the shrimps. How many should I buy and what type are best?

Cam diff types co-habit? Yes

When acclaimatising, do you put them all in one bag and then use the drip method, or do you have to do one at a time?

It really all depends on the sg of the lfs and your own, if they are the same and you only have a short journey it is imo better to put them straight in (many would diagree). If the sgs are not the same then drip for a good couple of hours, the more the lfs sg is different from your own the longer they will need - it is well worth finding a lfs that runs their tanks at the same sg as your own or close. most inverts take longer to acclimatise than fish.

You will be looking for approx:

10 nass or a mixture of nass, ceriths and dove - that is what i have
2 turbos - you can buy more as you need them. Try to ensure you know what they look like as many lfs sells astreas (these can't right themselves and so die)
2/4 hermits, i like the blue legs as they are busy little things, the red legs are a bit lazy :lol:
Shrimps - if you intend having corals, don't get the common cleaner, they will climb all over your corals and annoy them. Both Tina and I keep a pair of blood shrimp, they hide away but do a good clean up job, also consider getting a pair of peppermints

Ta

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back