New Skimmer Wont Fit

13thmonkey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i originally set my tank up for a seaclone 100. my tank sat exactly the distance away the wall that i needed for the seaclone to fit. but being that seaclones are A#1 garbage i got a super skimmer for 125 gal. heres the dilema i need my tank away from the wall about 2.5 inches to fit the new skimmer. i have the room on my stand to move it that far but how do you move a 500 pound fragile glass box with thousands of dollars worth of living creatures in it with out shattering it? im sure some one has run in to this problem before.

Put it on the other side lol? Bugger aint it. urm unless the tank is one some kind of protective bottom i would have to say empty it down to a point its easy to move, but dont lift if loads of water still in! the tank will twist and the seal will break!

I thought I was going to run into those problems and I had started thinking about solutions to move mine away from the wall by about 1ft.

1. See if you can slide a blanket under the stand and pull it/slide the tank forward.
2. They sell these little puck like things you put under the stand that will allow to slide the stand forward.
3. Is it on carpet?

Try empting some of the water before you do it, i'll be a little lighter.

Let us know how you make out.

ive been doing tanks for 7 years, 1 year of which is saltwater. so im kinda ashamed to ask this because i should know better. could you siphon of water and place in clean 5gal buckets then use it to refill the tank. or at least for a portion of the water? i just did a 30% water change the end of february, so i dont know if my good bacteria is all the way up.

lol its ok. Urm yer thats fine, what i would do, the fish will be ok for about 20 mins. I would just keep the water, however i do a 10 cent every week and its fine in my tank for bacteria.

i had to do exactly the same, only my tank weighs about a ton when full with rock and water. i emptied it to a minimum to sustain the fish for the 2 mins it took me to slide the tank forward 10cm. proper pain in the ass :blink:

I thought I was going to run into those problems and I had started thinking about solutions to move mine away from the wall by about 1ft.

1. See if you can slide a blanket under the stand and pull it/slide the tank forward.
2. They sell these little puck like things you put under the stand that will allow to slide the stand forward.
3. Is it on carpet?

Try empting some of the water before you do it, i'll be a little lighter.

Let us know how you make out.
well i couldnt just buy a stand that they sell at WALL-MART, so i made mine......out of plained and jointed 2X6(couldnt make weak inferior furniture) making the stand a project to move empty. then to add the weight of roughly 400lbs of water, tank, weight rock add on filters. i dont think i could get a greased needle under it with a sledge hammer. but alas i think i will have to reduce the water level and slide it out. one good thing about building the stand my self, i left a 3" space between the tank and the front edge of the stand for things like food or what ever i was carrying when i stopped in front of the tank. so when i do lower the water level i just have to slide the whole works forward.

Most reactions

Back