Mysterious death

Sylvia27

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi:

A couple of days ago, I had a pineapple swordtail who started hiding in plants and gasp for air.

Since my nitrite level was high (I was still cycling) and I had a couple of fish who died exactly that way, I removed the fish from the tank and put him in an emergency fish bowl. It was a 2 gallon salad bowl where I had put a little plant and an air stone to make him feel comfortable.

Today, I tested the water of the tank again. Nitrite dropped to 0. Ammonia is 0 and pH is 8.

So, I decided to put him back.

2 hours later, the fish was dead! :-(

What could have caused it?

Can I add a new fish now that my water "seems" OK? Now that my swordfish dies, I'm worried.

Sylvia

It could have been a difference in temp between the two containers that sent it over the edge. or it could be a difference in PH. Or just the stress of the moving.
Either way i would wait at least a couple of days and make sure everything is stable before you add anything else. Then only add a couple at a time. HTH :)

I would not add anything else to your tank untill it has fully cycled. Swordtails are not good choices for cycling tanks. They are not considered hardy enough to make it through the amonia and nitrite spikes.

I thought that when you have a pH of 8, ammonia of 0 and nitrite of 0, the cycling is over (it's been 4 weeks now since the tank has been set up).

Is there something else I have to check now before I can add a fish in a couple of days?

Sylvia

When ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0 then check for nitrate - once this is on the up and up, your tank has completed it's cycle. Don't add fish until then and add them slowly, no more that 2 a week.

Problem is: my lfs didn't have nitrate tests. I only have 3 test kits now... (pH, ammonia, and nitrites)

How long after the nitrite is settled does it usually take for the nitrate to settle down?

Sylvia

Sylvia27 said:
Problem is: my lfs didn't have nitrate tests. I only have 3 test kits now... (pH, ammonia, and nitrites)

How long after the nitrite is settled does it usually take for the nitrate to settle down?

Sylvia
Nitrates dont settle down they are the byproduct of the nitrogen cycle. They should continue to increase once the tank has cycled. The only way to bring them down is with water changes. You should get a nitrate test kit as soon as possible as it is a great indicator of the fishes environment and often alerts you to potential water quality problems before they become real trouble. You should test for nitrates before putting fish in the tank as nitrates are also toxic in high levels and if you put fish in that are sensitive to this chemical then you will most likely loose them. HTH :)

Most reactions

Back