Think I'm doing everything right - but 4 fish died in 2 weeks :( HELP please

Stress Coat does indeed contain aloe vera which is why I don't use it.

API make a few water conditioners.

Tap Water Conditioner removes chlorine and binds metals.
Stress Coat removes chlorine, binds metals and contains aloe vera.
Aqua Essential removes chlorine, binds metals and detoxifies ammonia & nitrite.

The cost is brand dependant, not whether it binds ammonia or not. The cycled tank doesn't have ammonia so the OP would just be adding a useless chemical. The fewer additives we use, the purer the water and the healthier the environment.
What do you mean by brand dependant? Price on Amazon for a 16 oz bottle of API Ammo lock costs $11.24, API tap water conditioner costs $6.78.
Unless you have chloramine in the water, API Tap Water Conditioner is preferable for the reasons explained in posts #37 and #39. It is highly concentrated so you only need a few drops. It lasts longer than most and there is less additive in the tank.
API tap water conditioner and Ammo Lock treat both chlorine and chloramines using the same dosage regardless of which one you have.

Yeah the 3 led's in red white and blue came with it (as did the wooden closet thing it sits on) and with an app to auto set timming...
Oh, that makes even more sense the price being higher now if it came with the cabinet as well.

Last edited:
What do you mean by brand dependant? Price on Amazon for a 16 oz bottle of API Ammo lock costs $11.24, API tap water conditioner costs $6.78.
You are comparing only 2 western brands in dollars with US shipping. Newaquaenthusiast lives in the Middle East so has different brands available and imported brands are likely many times more expensive.

@newaquaenthusiast, to keep things simple if you only have chlorine in the water, sodium thiosulphate is the ingredient needed to neutralise it.

You are comparing only 2 western brands in dollars with US shipping. Newaquaenthusiast lives in the Middle East so has different brands available and imported brands are likely many times more expensive.

@newaquaenthusiast, to keep things simple if you only have chlorine in the water, sodium thiosulphate is the ingredient needed to neutralise it.
I was never disputing the price difference between countries, only that regular old tap water conditioner is cheaper then one that removes ammonia. If indeed that is not the case and one conidtioner over the other is the same price somewhere else then they are lucky I guess. The price listed on Amazon doesn't lnclude shipping prices, and if you are Prime member you don't pay shipping at all.

Last edited:
I was never disputing the price difference between countries, only that regular old tap water conditioner is cheaper then one that removes ammonia. If indeed that is not the case and one conidtioner over the other is the same price somewhere else then they are lucky I guess. The price listed on Amazon doesn't lnclude shipping prices, and if you are Prime member you don't pay shipping at all.
Let's try and keep this relevant to helping the OP.

Hey all,

thanks for all your help,

it has been very helpful so far.

Additional question if I may - (not sure if need to open an new thread elshwhere for this or not -

As for the BBA I started getting,
the only product available in the LFS (it's a very big store, mind you, but still - limited import here I guess...) was Dr. Tank tabs, photo attached.
Anyone familiar with it ? Any good? dangerous at all?
should I travel to a further store to buy a well known brand product?

THANKS
1719160128167.png

OH wait,

Just found a bottle of Flourish Excel
can't remember why I got -
it was part of a 3 set Seachem pack (photo attached) with the excel, flourish (which I use for the live plants) and Iron, also for the plants which I use.

Now saw a video about it - saying it's for black \ red algae -
so ? Should I just use that in stead? any good?

thanks!

Attachments

• 20240623_201004.jpg
    20240623_201004.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 4
Personally I would reduce the lighting duration or intensity, and reduce feeding, to try and limit the algae. Adding things to the water can impact the fish who absorb it and also the ecosystem so it would be a last resort for me. But Excel is something other members use so you could wait for advise from others (or start a new thread as this is quite long now - apologies for the tangents!).
Just be aware that unless you address the root cause of the BBA it could return.

I agree with Naughts. I may of missed something but your tank does not look to be blanketed in the stuff.

I have it in my tank and have done for around 5 months now.

I spend 1-2 minutes a week removing what I see and it seems under control. In my tank it does not grow that quick. (I may live to regret this comment one day, but that would be the day I consider adding more chemicals to the tank)

Let's try and keep this relevant to helping the OP.
I'm talking on the subject. Even though the info doesn't neccessarily apply to the OP, others might come and read it and find the info useful. I see no reason not to say what I have said already. At first I thought the OP said they had ammonia in the tap source water hence the reason I was talking about that. I was mistken, but I think it's good info regardless.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back