Think I'm doing everything right - but 4 fish died in 2 weeks :( HELP please

I thought the OP said there was around 20ppm of ammonia in the tap water. If so, I would suggest to keep using the conditioner that removes ammonia. I have some in my tap water and use API Ammo Lock for my water conditioner on all water changes.
Thanks for you reply,

As per the LFS - we have in our area hard water - over between 150-220 PPM so they said the 'buffer' is quite big for changes...
never the less, will continue to use the same water conditioner - just to be safe and will continue to check water parameters...

On a different note - didn't have the patience, and went ahead with the re-shaping - with fish still in the tank,
will give the filter a few more minutes to clear the water and will take a picture

so very happy with the results!!!!!
I love this hobby...

Wife thinks I'm crazy as Iv'e spent 'mucho dinero's' on this hobby in just a few months and now am wanting a much bigger tank to be the center piece of the house, something in the lines of 1.2-1.5 meters...
Here - it is crazyyyyyy expensive - a tank that size would go for the equivalent of 2000 USD$.....................

Pictures to come in a few :)

Wife thinks I'm crazy as Iv'e spent 'mucho dinero's' on this hobby in just a few months and now am wanting a much bigger tank to be the center piece of the house, something in the lines of 1.2-1.5 meters...
Here - it is crazyyyyyy expensive - a tank that size would go for the equivalent of 2000 USD$.....................

Pictures to come in a few :)
Wow, how many gallons is that, like 60 or so? That is expensive. I got my 55 gallon at Petco for super cheap, I think under $200.

Would love your opinion on my second attempt at setting up my tank,

Compliments would be lovely but advice or plain shouting at it's ugliness also acceptable :)
20240622_151829.jpg

Well, it is a nice looking rimless tank. Just wow on that price tag though. I assume the lights came with it, if so that make more sense.

I love your rescape, much better put together then previous. Glad to see the anubias out of the substrate!

Well, it is a nice looking rimless tank. Just wow on that price tag though. I assume the lights came with it, if so that make more sense.

I love your rescape, much better put together then previous. Glad to see the anubias out of the substrate!
Yeah the 3 led's in red white and blue came with it (as did the wooden closet thing it sits on) and with an app to auto set timming...
Have the the blue come on, 20 mins later the strong white (to not scare the fish) and reverse when it goes off,
the bright one off first and 20 mins later the light blue goes off so they don't hurt themselves at sudden darkness...

Prices are very high here as it is allllll imported, no manufacturing here at all...

Thank you!!!!
I learnt the Anubias doesn't need substrate only a few days ago ... lol

BTW - quick question,
Can I have the water all the way up?
I understand these fish don't tend to jump,
I think the heater is allowed to be submerged and so is the outlet, right?

Last edited:
I thought the OP said there was around 20ppm of ammonia in the tap water.
No, it was 20 ppm nitrate not ammonia

no ammonia, no nitrite's and roughly 20PPM nitrate...

With zero ammonia in tap water, in a cycled tank it is not necessary to use a water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia.

No, it was 20 ppm nitrate not ammonia

With zero ammonia in tap water, in a cycled tank it is not necessary to use a water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia.
Ah ok. Well I'd say don't use conditioner that removes ammonia unless needed, b/c it is a bit more expensive.

Ah ok. Well I'd say don't use conditioner that removes ammonia unless needed, b/c it is a bit more expensive.
The cost is brand dependant, not whether it binds ammonia or not. The cycled tank doesn't have ammonia so the OP would just be adding a useless chemical. The fewer additives we use, the purer the water and the healthier the environment.

Didn't even notice he wrote ammonia, thought he said nitrate...

Anyway,
Just saw some BBA on my spider wood and a couple of Anubis's,
so I need to go to my LFS tomorrow to buy whatever bottle needed to treat that, so will also buy shecam prime ? heard it's a good water conditioner, yeah?

Unless you have chloramine in the water, API Tap Water Conditioner is preferable for the reasons explained in posts #37 and #39. It is highly concentrated so you only need a few drops. It lasts longer than most and there is less additive in the tank.

Unless you have chloramine in the water, API Tap Water Conditioner is preferable for the reasons explained in posts #37 and #39. It is highly concentrated so you only need a few drops. It lasts longer than most and there is less additive in the tank.
Cool, thanks for the advice.

For some reason most stores here don't hold many API products,
Amazon delivery is also crazy expensive here...
But will try to find a store that holds it,

* I do remember my LFS having API stress coat, is that any good ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, you will have to get what is available but check the ingredients. Avoid those with extracts like aloe vera as they can clog the fish gills.

Yes, you will have to get what is available but check the ingredients. Avoid those with extracts like aloe vera as they can clog the fish gills.
Doesn't the API stress coat by definition have aloe vera? supposed to be good for the fish, isn't it? what am I missing?

Doesn't the API stress coat by definition have aloe vera? supposed to be good for the fish, isn't it? what am I missing?
Stress coat is not what I'm recommending, API "Tap Water Conditioner" is.
Manufacturers using aloe vera claim it is good for the fish but a study found that it sticks to the gills impeding respiration.

Most reactions

Back