My First Tropical Fish Tank

rchambers

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just thought I would show everyone my first attempt at tropical fish keeping. I have cycled the tank using a filter pad from my friends tank and some fish food (didn't know about using ammonia to cycle then) and just added my first fish at the weekend. I now have 6 Cardinal Tetras and 3 Dalmation Mollies (my friend has now told me not the best fish to put in a new tank but they seem happy for now).

The tank is a Juwel Vision 260 (litres) and I am using arcadia lights and an Eheim canister filter which is nice and quiet. I have no hood on the tank, will I need to add one? Also I got a powerhead with venturi air feed, will I need this or will the filter give enough circulation and air exchange?

I have just noticed this evening that the fatter of the two female mollies is now thinner and we have a lot of little fry! . Luckily they have the floating plant to hide in!

Anyway some pics of my setup so far (will be getting more plants once I know what works in my tank):

Can't seem to add more than one photo to each post...

and another

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 40
:hi:

Very good first attempt, love the bogwood. :good:

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

I'll have to try and get some more photos tonight as they are double the size and swimming around the tank out in the open without fear now. Another week at this rate and they will be picking on the Tetras lol. Other than the high levels of nitrate in the tap water things seem to be going well so far. Will add another batch of fish next weekend when I get paid if water stats remain good :nod:

welcome! looking great for a first timer! i like the scaping

Hi.
Nice tank, they're lucky fish.
Just a word of warning. I would add a fair few more fast growing plants to the tank to prevent algae gaining an early grip. :)

you're good for a first timer. the tank could use more plants though. and it seems like almost ALL first timer's tanks have a skull in it. haha

you're good for a first timer. the tank could use more plants though. and it seems like almost ALL first timer's tanks have a skull in it. haha

lol well spotted, my wife wanted one and I tried my best to hide it without getting into trouble!

Well I'm a few weeks in now and all is going ok. I now have the following fish in the tank:

- 12 Cardinal Tetras
- 3 Dalmation/Marble Mollies (plus around 20 fry)
- 6 Threadfin Rainbow Fish
- 3 Panda Corys

All the fish seem pretty happy and everyone is getting along so far. I think I'll leave it a while now before I add anymore fish and I will be adding more plants once I wait and see what works in the tank. Some photos for you to peruse...

P1070099.jpg

P1070101.jpg

P1070122.jpg

P1070134.jpg

P1070136.jpg

P1070139.jpg

P1070155.jpg

P1070156.jpg

P1070171.jpg

P1070186.jpg

P1070200.jpg

P1070202.jpg