My First Tropical Fish Tank

Quick update...

Well everyone seems to be doing ok in the tank and the plants are growing well. Have made a few additions too, stock is now:

- 12 Cardinal Tetras
- 6 Threadfin Rainbows
- 5 Panda Cory's
- 3 Dalmation Molly's (plus about 20 fry!)
- 2 Bolivian Rams
- 5 Gold Gourami
- 6 Amano/Japonica Shrimp

Excuse the algae on the back glass, was originally going to get a Bristlenose so wanted something for him to eat. Hopefully the Amano's will feast on it or I will have to get the scrubber out!

P1070263.jpg

P1070260.jpg

P1070258.jpg

P1070255.jpg

P1070250.jpg

P1070249.jpg

P1070248.jpg

P1070246.jpg

P1070243.jpg

P1070242.jpg

P1070241.jpg

P1070237.jpg

P1070234.jpg

P1070233.jpg

P1070232.jpg

P1070231.jpg

P1070230.jpg

P1070229.jpg

P1070223.jpg

P1070222.jpg

love the pictures, some good photography there, tanks looking good. :good:

Edit: Pics of the dalmations look awesome!!!!

Amazing Pictures and a amazing tank, what is that ball at the top called?

Yeah I like it. It came with the tank so I thought I'd put it in and see how it goes. Its the only fake plant in the tank but the fry love hiding in it and it looks pretty cool spinning around in the current. I've been watching the tank a lot today and I can not for the life of me find any of the shrimp! My wife won't believe me when I said I put 6 in, and I'm having doubts myself hehe. Are they really that good at hiding and that shy???

A truely gorgeous setup!
Well done!

:good:

I totally agree. It's a very nice tank! I've been looking into getting like 2 blue rams. How are they? Aggressive? They're a member of the Cichlid family so I didn't know whether they'd be ok. What are your levels like? Your tank is really beautiful and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your mollies!

Can't see the recent pic at work, but it's a fantastic first set up! You have a good eye for aquascaping and I too love the mollies! I hope the skull's ornamental and not a victim of some sort :lol:

How are your threadfins settling in? Aren't they great little fish? I love the way the males show off to each other and do their displaying dance :good:

I totally agree. It's a very nice tank! I've been looking into getting like 2 blue rams. How are they? Aggressive? They're a member of the Cichlid family so I didn't know whether they'd be ok. What are your levels like? Your tank is really beautiful and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your mollies!

I have a few Blue Rams, and mine aint really that agressive, but I think I have a Male and female so I dont know how 2 males would be. My males colors are amazing they show so well, but they are sensitive to water parameters i think

Thanks for the kind comments!

I do love the threadfins, they love swimming in the current of my new filter and showing off to each other. I thought I was going to have a problem with the mollies breeding too much as the first batch have nearly all survived but now that the tank is a little more full I guess that any new arrivals will be kept to a minimum. My rams are Bolivian not Blue as the Bolivians are better suited to my water and I just thought they looked nicer at the shop (were a lot bigger for less money). I think both of mine are male despite what the guy in the shop said as they have claimed there own territories on either side of the tank. Usually when one wanders into the others area of the tank they lock lips and chase each other for a bit. Other times they will follow each other around in peace. I know they are hard to sex when young so I'll wait and see. I might swap one for a female or maybe add two females, not sure yet.

I have managed to spot the Amano Shrimp now, they are all hiding under the bogwood at the top! They haven't left the cave once as far as I can tell since I got them (one week ago). Do you think I need to add more (have 6 atm) to make them more confident?

Big thumbs up for the Tetratec EX1200, its as quiet as my Eheim Ecco but is so much more powerful, the water is a lot clearer since I set it up :good:

Oh and water parameters last night were:

PH 7.5
Temp 25C
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 (finally the tap water level has come down lol)

Most reactions

Back