Air stone in planted aquarium?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mine run 24-7, and I agree that the be bubbles mostly cause water flow, from the bottom, to the top, and the rolling of the surface of the bubble waterfall, is where the oxygenation comes from

Last edited:
I do what Magnum does- 23/7. I run many Poret cubefilters which are air powered. They are my filters so they also run 24/7.

Cooler water sinks to the bottom of our tanks and the warmer water is at the surface, So using air stones and/or air powerrd foam filters helps to mix the cold into the warmer and will help to kep the water mixed.

An airstone does not oxygenate the water until the bubbles break the surface. A still surface has surface tension that restricts the ready exchange of gasses into and out of a tank. Surface agitation breaks that and roiling the surface is how the water is aerated.

The rising bubbles also creates water current going up along with the bubbles as they rise.

The benefit of doing this with a foam filter is that you not only get surface agitation but you also get a great home for the needed bacteria etc.

It is only in a planted tank where CO2 is being added that one may not want to use and airstone since minimizing surface agitation keeps the co2 in. the water. And even then it is only if one is doing a high tech planted tank with lots of light and plants which also need lots of CO2 and fertilizer.

But, the more current you put into a planted tank, the more the plants can get moved by it. The can tilt rather than being vertical.
Only asked about opinion on using an air stone in a planted aquarium and I received a science lesson lol.

I already have an internal filter but you're suggesting using a sponge attachment just for the extra home for bacteria? Is this the only other benefit? Wouldn't it dampen the oxygen bubbles coming out of it and reduce the flow?

I don't use CO2. The plants I used don't require much off it and they're growing very well as is. Easier to maintain for my parents, too.

In the case of breaking the surface of the water, a spray bar would work just as well then as it's breaking the surface but from above rather than below?

An internal power filter should be enough for the current. An air pump with a plastic multi-coloured airstone would produce heaps of bubbles and maximise the oxygen level in the water.

AquaClear do a hang on back (HOB) style of external filter and powerheads that go inside the tank. The motor running your internal power filter is a type of powerhead. The internal filter case and sponge do the same thing as the AquaClear Quickfilter attachment.

If the internal power filter is big enough and only needs cleaning once a month or so, I wouldn't bother with an external power filter. Just stay with the internal power filter and get an air pump and use it to run an airstone.

Anything that agitates the surface of the water will do the trick. It doesn't matter whether this comes from above or below. And knowing the science makes us better fish keepers.

What did you discover when you Googled "using an air stone in a planted tank" that was different from what I wrote?

Last edited:
When you say cooler, how much cooler? My tank is set at 25/26 depending on the outside temperature.

I keep reading mix reviews about whether they’re tropical or temperate fish.
The thing to understand is that hillstreams come from highly oxygenated flowing waters. They're adapted to higher oxygen content in water. As water temperature increases, the warmer water gets, the less oxygen it holds. Seriously Fish says 20-24 C but they can tolerate a little higher with extra oxygenation.

...and honestly my bubble waterfalls create habitat, there are other ways of adding oxygen... but a good portion of my Hillstream's prefer to hang out there... it's an area 20 inches wide in the center of the back of the tank... I have around a dozen varieties, & there are a couple that don't hang out in the waterfall, weather that is because they don't like that intense of current, or the competition for the waterfall space is more than they like... but most varieties like the rush of water... I call it surfing... and my bigger Vietnamese lizard Hillstreams are omnivores, & spend the bulk of their time there, except during feeding times...

An internal power filter should be enough for the current. An air pump with a plastic multi-coloured airstone would produce heaps of bubbles and maximise the oxygen level in the water.

AquaClear do a hang on back (HOB) style of external filter and powerheads that go inside the tank. The motor running your internal power filter is a type of powerhead. The internal filter case and sponge do the same thing as the AquaClear Quickfilter attachment.

If the internal power filter is big enough and only needs cleaning once a month or so, I wouldn't bother with an external power filter. Just stay with the internal power filter and get an air pump and use it to run an airstone.

Okay, great.

From the share of comments I’ve received. I think I’ll stick with the airpump and stones. If the bubbles don’t disturb the soil too much, I like the idea of the upside down waterfall as described by magnum, otherwise dangle a few mid way.

Anything that agitates the surface of the water will do the trick. It doesn't matter whether this comes from above or below. And knowing the science makes us better fish keepers.

What did you discover when you Googled "using an air stone in a planted tank" that was different from what I wrote?
I never googled it. I prefer to come on here and get direct advice from experience fish experts.

I agree with the science part, too. I’m always happy to learn. This is also a benefit of using this website because people other new insights. :)

The thing to understand is that hillstreams come from highly oxygenated flowing waters. They're adapted to higher oxygen content in water. As water temperature increases, the warmer water gets, the less oxygen it holds. Seriously Fish says 20-24 C but they can tolerate a little higher with extra oxygenation.

Mmm, my water is set to 24-25 with the extra oxygen from the stones, they should be happy then.

...and honestly my bubble waterfalls create habitat, there are other ways of adding oxygen... but a good portion of my Hillstream's prefer to hang out there... it's an area 20 inches wide in the center of the back of the tank... I have around a dozen varieties, & there are a couple that don't hang out in the waterfall, weather that is because they don't like that intense of current, or the competition for the waterfall space is more than they like... but most varieties like the rush of water... I call it surfing... and my bigger Vietnamese lizard Hillstreams are omnivores, & spend the bulk of their time there, except during feeding times...

I love the idea of the waterfall and it’s definitely something I’d like to try.

For my 180litre tank. Would two be appropriate?

Your hill streams sound rare. Have you got photos?

This link below, shows many of the varieties I either have, or want yet... I have since added 3 new varieties since this thread... both the Zebra, & red tail, on the thread below, as well as 3 of these Bhavania australis
1721674749123.png

( I usually buy 3 at a time )

Last edited:
a 180 liter is 47.5 gallons, so they are pretty close... my 45 gallon talls are 3 feet long ( 91.5 cm ) and I don't use those for hillstreams... my hillstreams are in a 55 gallon, which is 4 feet long ( 122 cm )

so some quick math... the 2 - 10 inch air bars next to each other is 20 inches of waterfall, which is 41.5 % of the back of the tank... I'm not saying there is anything magic about those numbers, it's just what they ended up being... but depending on how many hillstreams you want to put in the tank. considering the bubble waterfall as habitat... I don't think I would do less than 25%... I do have the same 10 inch air bars on two of the 45 gallon tanks I mentioned above, those are on the short sides, and end up with 100% water fall on those 2 sides... these are both considered river tanks, & putting them on the ends like that ( only 1 per tank, on the 45's ) increases the water's velocity, & I would expect the Hillstreams would be just as happy...

BTW... I've noticed no squabbling, between varieties & difference in sizes in my tank

this is a prime example of that... a tiny tiger Hillstream ( center ) with my biggest lizard hillstream, and a panda garra in the same picture...
1721676160979.png

I agree with many of the previous comments. A hillstream loach needs cooler waters and a current which would normally provide more oxygenated waters. An alternate way to provide current and more oxygen would be to use a current maker in your tank and have it angled towards the surface, breaking the surface which is what allows for higher oxygen levels in the water.

Since has a nice line of current makers.

A canister filter with a spray bar is also a good source of flow and a great way to disrupt the surface of your water introducing more oxygen into it the tank. Fluval canister filters come with the option of purchasing a spray bar to use with their filters from the 107 all the way up to the FX6.

I have a pretty huge tank. Like 40 x 50 x 25 inch tank. 180 litres. I’m not sure what that is in gallons.
This is about 180 gallons UK, 217 gallons US. That's about 800 litres.

In the case of breaking the surface of the water, a spray bar would work just as well then as it's breaking the surface but from above rather than below?
Spray bars work best when disturbing the surface from just below the surface. That would give you two benefits, filtration and aeration.

If you go the airstone route you'll need quite a vigorous one. As has been said, it's the moving surface that oxygenates, not the bubbles themselves. You need a strong flow that moves the surface significanly. If it's just a few bubbles it'll do nothing.

Most reactions

Back