My 48g Fowlr Journey. 13 Months On...

Very nice sparklefuzz

How many lbs or kilos of Liverock do you have - looks like you could be doing with some more :good:

cant help u in any way about tht is puzzling must be said. i was plainning on an early night but started reading this thread just before i went sleep:( damm u! hehe
Looks cool so far, here id u get ur night lights from?
Greg :)

cant help u in any way about tht is puzzling must be said. i was plainning on an early night but started reading this thread just before i went sleep:( damm u! hehe
Looks cool so far, here id u get ur night lights from?
Greg :)

Yeah, I am worried about the PH... anyways, the night lights, I got off ebay. LED moonlights. about £12 I think. :good:

Love the aquascaping Fiona, looks great :D. As for the pH, it is not uncommon for new tanks to go through some fluctuations with calc/alk/mg balance that leads to a pH of 7.8-8.0. It is very common for new tanks to have a low pH. Have you testeed for calcium, alkalinity, or perhaps magnesium? You'll probably find that most of them are lower than reccomended for natural seawater. The quick rule of thumb is that when pH is high, calc/alk/mg are also high, and when pH is low, the opposite relationship is true. You can easily get yourself into trouble if you dose one or the other too much as you can cause a precipitate reaction that is pretty detrimental to the chemistry of your tank. Have you read any of Randy Holmes-Farley's articles on reef chemistry?

Love the aquascaping Fiona, looks great :D. As for the pH, it is not uncommon for new tanks to go through some fluctuations with calc/alk/mg balance that leads to a pH of 7.8-8.0. It is very common for new tanks to have a low pH. Have you testeed for calcium, alkalinity, or perhaps magnesium? You'll probably find that most of them are lower than reccomended for natural seawater. The quick rule of thumb is that when pH is high, calc/alk/mg are also high, and when pH is low, the opposite relationship is true. You can easily get yourself into trouble if you dose one or the other too much as you can cause a precipitate reaction that is pretty detrimental to the chemistry of your tank. Have you read any of Randy Holmes-Farley's articles on reef chemistry?

ohhkay... so, umm, what was it you wanted me to do again????? LOL!

I haven't read articles on reef chemistry, no...(I will) and I don't *yet* have test kits for calc/alk/mg either.... but if I did? Is it worth starting to add chemicals, or should I just be waiting it out? :/ The clean up crew are coming today... don't want to cause any issues, and I'm stuck to get out and buy tests and/or chemicals... help!

At the moment I wouldnt add anything to the tank(Chemical wise), but it would be worth getting the tests that Skifletch has suggested

Also remember that ph will fluctuate when you lighting is off, a way to sort this is to introduce more oxygen to the tank which will help stabilize the ph, aiming a powerhead or a seio to break the surface will do this

Your clean up crew will be fine.
:good: :good:

At the moment I wouldnt add anything to the tank(Chemical wise), but it would be worth getting the tests that Skifletch has suggested

Also remember that ph will fluctuate when you lighting is off, a way to sort this is to introduce more oxygen to the tank which will help stabilize the ph, aiming a powerhead or a seio to break the surface will do this

Your clean up crew will be fine.
:good: :good:

Thank you, you've put my mind at rest a little. Hubby is going out to buy the tests at lunchtime, and I'll move one of the powerheads. Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind if you are moving one of the seios powerheads near the surface is that they draw water from the top os well as the sides & bottom of the inlet so if the powerhead is placed to near the top you will get a million bubble in the tank, to solve this simply lower the powerhead a couple of inches

Oh and remember to actually tilt the face of the seio back to the unit is at a 45deg angle
:good:

the aquascape is looking great as others have said wouldnt worry to much about the ph at the moment them moonlights look great too well done keep the pics coming :good: :good:

as callell says try get some water movement at the surface looks very flat on your pics

[/quote]

I got off ebay. LED moonlights. about £12 I think. :good:
[/quote]

thanks for tht :)

Hehe get me pics of the cleanup crew!
Im so jealous :sick: :D

:good: Greg 8)

Your crew will probably be fine. Like Callel said, dont dose yet (especially cause you dont know what you're doing ;)) since improper dosing is worse than no dosing at all. Remember, low pH is WAY better than rapidly fluctuating pH. Also remember, always test water at the same time of day. As Callel mentioned, pH can fluctuate a little through out the day due to the interaction of O2 and CO2 in the aquarium so always compare day to day readings taken at the same time.

So get the kits I mentioned and while you're waiting for them, read this article on Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium Balance by Randy. Then once you've gotten that down (and it may take a while cause Randy gets technical), read Randy's article on a balanced additive system to help correct your water chemistry :)

Looks really good Fiona :good:

Thanks Miss Wiggle :) How's your back?

Hehe get me pics of the cleanup crew!
Im so jealous :sick: :D

:good: Greg 8)

I will! As soon as they are settled, just transferred them to the tank after acclimating them for the past 3 1/2 hours, so they're all huddled together at the moment. Cleaner shrimp has found his spot though and the emerald crab is busy picking lord knows what off the rock and stuffing his face!!

Your crew will probably be fine. Like Callel said, dont dose yet (especially cause you dont know what you're doing ;)) since improper dosing is worse than no dosing at all. Remember, low pH is WAY better than rapidly fluctuating pH. Also remember, always test water at the same time of day. As Callel mentioned, pH can fluctuate a little through out the day due to the interaction of O2 and CO2 in the aquarium so always compare day to day readings taken at the same time.

So get the kits I mentioned and while you're waiting for them, read this article on Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium Balance by Randy. Then once you've gotten that down (and it may take a while cause Randy gets technical), read Randy's article on a balanced additive system to help correct your water chemistry :)

OK, I figured it best to leave it alone... . homework eh? Want me to start calling you Sir? ;) Might the PH right itself? I've pointed the seio at the water surface aswell as cracking the lid a little to let more air in/out, so that should help, yes?

Most reactions

Back