My 48g Fowlr Journey. 13 Months On...

It might correct itself up to the 8.0 range, but you may need dosing to really get up to the 8.2-8.4 reccomended. With a 7.8pH you've probably had some precipitation that is tough to reverse.

Between increasing the oxygen content & the buffering capabilities of your liverock/sand & with a normal water change routine your ph will be kept stabile

But keep an eye on it - stability is much more important than getting your reading spot on

:good:

Sure, quick lesson in ionic chemistry 101 :D. Precipitation is when two ions in solution combine with an ionic bond to form a physical salt. For example, when you put more Sodium and Chloride ions in water than it can hold (since water has a finite ability to hold solutes), the two will precipitate out of solution and form table salt :). When you put too much Calcium and Carbonate in solution the two will precipitate out and form white calcium carbonate salt.

Imbalances in the ions I mentioned before cause them to form these bonds because of the nature of the ions involved in saltwater. The reason for the precipitation is a little more complicated than just having too much of both ions (since there are dozens of ions in a seawater solution) and is more of an ionic chemistry 401 level course :lol:.

Seriously though, in the case of calcium carbonate, once it precipitates out of solution back into the salt form the ionic bonds are very strong and not easily re-dissolved in a seawater situation. Therefore you may need to dose to bring dissolved levels back to desired ranges.

So - you painted that unit silver yet ?

Come a long way in 2 months

LOL Nice to see you back Mr Chac. Nope, 'Walnut' was the colour we went for in the end... looks no different on the pics, but much nicer in real life. Hubby just pulled a face when I suggested silver. I guess he isn't as 'with it' as you, huh? :X

Sure, quick lesson in ionic chemistry 101 :D. Precipitation is when two ions in solution combine with an ionic bond to form a physical salt. For example, when you put more Sodium and Chloride ions in water than it can hold (since water has a finite ability to hold solutes), the two will precipitate out of solution and form table salt :). When you put too much Calcium and Carbonate in solution the two will precipitate out and form white calcium carbonate salt.

Imbalances in the ions I mentioned before cause them to form these bonds because of the nature of the ions involved in saltwater. The reason for the precipitation is a little more complicated than just having too much of both ions (since there are dozens of ions in a seawater solution) and is more of an ionic chemistry 401 level course :lol:.

Seriously though, in the case of calcium carbonate, once it precipitates out of solution back into the salt form the ionic bonds are very strong and not easily re-dissolved in a seawater situation. Therefore you may need to dose to bring dissolved levels back to desired ranges.

I read that last night... couldn't make sense of it... so waited until this morning.... I think I kinda get what you are talking about, but how does that pertain to my low PH? :lol: I don't think I've ever felt as stupid before... :/ Do I really need to know all this stuff to run a fish only marine tank??

*wishes she'd listened better at school*

Hubby just pulled a face when I suggested silver.

Phewww what does he know lol

Whens the 1st livestock being added

Well, the clean up crew went in yesterday and have since disappeared out of view... except a few snails. I want to get this PH problem sorted, ideally, before any fish go in... but if I can't get a handle on what SkiTheScientistFletch is telling me, it may be months!! LOL No, seriously... we're hoping this weekend to get a pair of clowns. :good:

Where've you been anyways?

I was having a read over the last few posts on this thread ragarding you ph

Although it would be in your livestocks best interest to know the reasons behind the problem, as I think both calel & Ski say stability is key, you may find that you ph will never be spot on at 8.2 but as long as it is stabile I persoanlly would feel safe to add fish (after properly acclimitising them)

I spotted that Professor Beaker tried to give everyone nose bleeds with his waffaling about ions - what the hells he on about :lol: in all seriousness the link provided by Ski is a great place to reaseach most things fishy & although the relationship between ph, kh calcium etc seems complicated, it will become easier the more you look at it.

LOL Nice to see you back Mr Chac. Nope, 'Walnut' was the colour we went for in the end... looks no different on the pics, but much nicer in real life. Hubby just pulled a face when I suggested silver. I guess he isn't as 'with it' as you, huh? :X

I read that last night... couldn't make sense of it... so waited until this morning.... I think I kinda get what you are talking about, but how does that pertain to my low PH? :lol: I don't think I've ever felt as stupid before... :/ Do I really need to know all this stuff to run a fish only marine tank??

i feel the same! this all confuses me so much, but you do start to get your head around it eventually :nod:

i feel the same! this all confuses me so much, but you do start to get your head around it eventually :nod:

Oh no! Please don't say you understand it!! LOL I'm reading thinking "Miss Wiggle is doing fine, and I bet she hasn't got a clue about all this either" it was a comforting thought LOL. I'm quite depressed now.... think I'll go back to doing my homework as set by Professor Beaker.

:shout:

OK, I started mixing saltwater yesterday, 5 gallons of it, in a bucket with a heater and a 1400lph power head, which really packs some punch... and the PH in the bucket, reads 8.4.

Could my low PH just simply be the lack of water movement, gas exchange, oxygen in the water thing? I have 2 seio m620's (2400lph) which I understood had to point at the live rock?????? I've now got one pointing at the water surface, although it needs moving up a bit its not doing much more than a minor ripple... should I point both at the water surface? The tanks I've seen at the LFS have really rippling water (just like in my bucket) and I'm wondering if this is the issue...?

ha ha don't worry, there's shed loads i don't understand.... and to say we're doing alright... we're moving from one disaster to the next and somehow have got away with not making a massive mess of things so far..... sort of alright... but don't be under any illusions as to how we're coping!

i'll try and draw you a pic of how a marine biologist told us to set up the powerheads in our tank, apparently gives the best circulation.

aha, fuzz, i've found an article about the o2 exchange and it's got a good diagram in of how to set up your powerheads... i don't understand half of it but the pic will help you!!

what's your email i'll send you it.

:)

ha ha don't worry, there's shed loads i don't understand.... and to say we're doing alright... we're moving from one disaster to the next and somehow have got away with not making a massive mess of things so far..... sort of alright... but don't be under any illusions as to how we're coping!

i'll try and draw you a pic of how a marine biologist told us to set up the powerheads in our tank, apparently gives the best circulation.

aha, fuzz, i've found an article about the o2 exchange and it's got a good diagram in of how to set up your powerheads... i don't understand half of it but the pic will help you!!

what's your email i'll send you it.

:)

Thanks, that'd be great! it is [email protected] :)

LOL @ you calling me 'fuzz'. :lol: Thats a new one ;)

Most reactions

Back