My 48g Fowlr Journey. 13 Months On...

yeah sometimes i find with the new technology it can be a right pain in the posterior, back to the old skool! :lol:

do you have an internal filter of any sort in there?

you could get a small internal remove the sponge, sit the phosphate remover in it's place and use it as another powerhead :good:

No internal in there at the moment... but I've got a fluval 1... would that work? oooh another plughole to find yay! LOL :blink:

I'm using one of those at the moment with filter floss to give the water a bit of a polish with no problems so far and I think you can buy rowaphos as a sponge which would fit nicely in the fluval (I may be wrong though). I'm looking at HOB style filters at the moment for the same purpose as you and they are quite cheap around £15 delivered. It has the advantage of being out of the display unlike the internal.

Just checked and they do make a sponge that also contains carbon. Bonus.

Well, thats great! My phosphate remover (which I bought without thinking how I was going to run it LOL) is granules, as it my carbon... but they'll go in a filter sock, no problem! Thanks :)

yeah sometimes i find with the new technology it can be a right pain in the posterior, back to the old skool! :lol:

do you have an internal filter of any sort in there?

you could get a small internal remove the sponge, sit the phosphate remover in it's place and use it as another powerhead :good:

No internal in there at the moment... but I've got a fluval 1... would that work? oooh another plughole to find yay! LOL :blink:

think so, not sure on that exact model but it'll probably be OK!

Ian's put an extra ring of sockets downstairs to handle the extra load from fishtanks :rolleyes: :lol:

I envy you having a man who is handy like that. Craig would blow up the house if he tried to unscrew a socket. :huh:

yeah in some ways it's great...... but remember my house is permanently like a building site, there's on-going DIY projects in every room. I can't keep anything clean cos he comes home covered in cement/dust/mud/bits of ceiling.... all sorts really! we never manage to get the washing basket any less than half full cos his work clothes get so filthy they need constant washing. there's saws, hammers, stanley knives all over the house. every time he has a day off I get a phone call about half an hr before i finish work saying things like 'the kitchen's a little bit damp' or 'how would you feel about a hole in the living room floor' :rolleyes:

he is available to rent out if you like though! :lol:

yeah in some ways it's great...... but remember my house is permanently like a building site, there's on-going DIY projects in every room. I can't keep anything clean cos he comes home covered in cement/dust/mud/bits of ceiling.... all sorts really! we never manage to get the washing basket any less than half full cos his work clothes get so filthy they need constant washing. there's saws, hammers, stanley knives all over the house. every time he has a day off I get a phone call about half an hr before i finish work saying things like 'the kitchen's a little bit damp' or 'how would you feel about a hole in the living room floor' :rolleyes:

he is available to rent out if you like though! :lol:

Thanks, but I think I'll pass :good:

:lol:

really.... now i am surprised! ;) :lol:

:p Poor Ian.... :unsure:

OK folks, no pictures as yet, I took them on close up setting. DUH.

I've ordered my clean up crew!

2 Peppermint Shrimps
4 Turbo Snails
4 Red Leg Hermits
6 Cerith Snails
Emerald Crab
Cleaner Shrimp
Sexy Shrimp

They are coming wednesday! woohoo!

Sounds like you're well on your way Sparkle :). In the future, I'll reccomend using Rowaphos as a phosphate binder, best stuff on the market for sure :good:

No, but if they're white and the size of somewhat fine gravel they're probably the typical chemical ceramic bead thats re-badged by lots of companies. That stuff works, you just can't leave it in your tank for more than a week since it CAN leech phosphates back into the water when it gets saturated. Rowaphos on the other hand is a sediment type filter and will not leech nutrients back into the water column. It can be left in the tank for 1-2 months :)

No, but if they're white and the size of somewhat fine gravel they're probably the typical chemical ceramic bead thats re-badged by lots of companies. That stuff works, you just can't leave it in your tank for more than a week since it CAN leech phosphates back into the water when it gets saturated. Rowaphos on the other hand is a sediment type filter and will not leech nutrients back into the water column. It can be left in the tank for 1-2 months :)

They're white but quite chunky. It states on the box that they can be left in the tank for up to 3 months and will not redissolve, offering permanant removal of phosphates. The guy at the LFS said he uses them as a cheaper alternative to Rowaphos, and they work just as well... apparently....

Interesting, never heard of it :). You can always give it a shot, if it doesnt work there's the proven alternative :good:

Oo sounds funn. You have a lot of shrimp on your clean up crew. I'm Jealous. :angry:

I need to buy a few more snails since my clean up crew was from my 10gallon and I haven't bought any new ones since. Heh :rolleyes: . Can't wait for some pictures :good:

Oo sounds funn. You have a lot of shrimp on your clean up crew. I'm Jealous. :angry:

I need to buy a few more snails since my clean up crew was from my 10gallon and I haven't bought any new ones since. Heh :rolleyes: . Can't wait for some pictures :good:

I find snails a little boring, shrimps are so fascinating...! Why don't you add shrimps to your shopping list for increasing your clean up crew?

I can't wait for pictures either, hubby is sorting out all the wiring, once he is done and the hood is back on, I'll be taking pictures :good:

I find snails a little boring, shrimps are so fascinating...! Why don't you add shrimps to your shopping list for increasing your clean up crew?

I can't wait for pictures either, hubby is sorting out all the wiring, once he is done and the hood is back on, I'll be taking pictures :good:

LOL, You guys sound so busy :fun: I don't recall having to do that much work when I was starting up my tank :p

Most reactions

Back