My 48g Fowlr Journey. 13 Months On...

You can aquascape with water in the tank, it just becomes a bit more problematic to get sand in the bottom with water in the tank. Your best bet would be to fill the tank up 3/4 the way, add rocks, aquascape, add sand with say a 1/2cup measuring cup and then fire up your powerheads, heater, etc :). Just remember, when aquascaping you need to make sure the rocks rest on the glass first and sand second ;)

You can aquascape with water in the tank, it just becomes a bit more problematic to get sand in the bottom with water in the tank. Your best bet would be to fill the tank up 3/4 the way, add rocks, aquascape, add sand with say a 1/2cup measuring cup and then fire up your powerheads, heater, etc :). Just remember, when aquascaping you need to make sure the rocks rest on the glass first and sand second ;)

Great, thanks.. thats exactly what I'll do. :)

So, we have buckets of RO all over the place!! a 12g bucket, which is ready mixed with salt, temperature 76, 1.024sg. Then various other containers ranging from 2g to 6g with straight RO in them. LOL. Hubby is bringing home paint for the back of the tank at about 4, so I'll paint it, let it dry then start filling her up. I FINALLY got the cabinet done yesterday and I'm pleased with the results. I'll take and post pictures as soon as the back is painted before we start filling! I'm going to 2/3 fill it before getting the LR tomorrow, and leave the 12g of SW ready to fill her up after we got the LR and sand in. So exciting!

So, we have buckets of RO all over the place!! a 12g bucket, which is ready mixed with salt, temperature 76, 1.024sg. Then various other containers ranging from 2g to 6g with straight RO in them. LOL. Hubby is bringing home paint for the back of the tank at about 4, so I'll paint it, let it dry then start filling her up. I FINALLY got the cabinet done yesterday and I'm pleased with the results. I'll take and post pictures as soon as the back is painted before we start filling! I'm going to 2/3 fill it before getting the LR tomorrow, and leave the 12g of SW ready to fill her up after we got the LR and sand in. So exciting!

ha ha know the feeling, our house seems to be overrun with buckets, i swear they're taking over :shifty:

lmao, yeah me too. Got buckets and gallon jugs everywhere. Make sure you save your salt buckets ;)

Got the cabinet done! Yay:

Photo_0009.jpg

Then, last night, painted the back:

Photo_015.jpg

So today it was off to the LFS. 22kg of liverock later... (he was weighing it all as we chose it out of the vat, and there was a big piece I couldn't leave behind, so we ended up with 22kg instead of 20kg. :D ) yeah, so... 22kg later... we're back at home, the LR is in the tank, with around 13g water. Long story, had an issue with the salt, so thats all we had made up. LOL. Luckily it covers the rock nicely and tomorrow we'll aquascape it and more water will be added.

I had, well no, am having an issue with my Seio M620's... I've posted in the hardware section... they just don't seem to be moving the water much. I ended up taking them out and putting my 1400lph pump in there and that is moving it around nicely! So, we're heated to 78 ish, and the salinity is 1.023 at the moment. The rock is superb, lots of stuff going on... pictures to follow...

Live rock and 13g water added
Photo_028.jpg

Caught a tubeworm? I think thats what they're called... can just see the white tube here, the little bugger popped back in as soon as I got the camera!
Photo_002.jpg

Couple more pics to come, need some stuff ID'ing... and we've got dark brown/purple bubbles on some of the rock.. wasn't sure on it, popped some when I picked it up... REALLY hoping it isn't bubble algae... :(

Bubbles anyone??

Photo_001.jpg

This thing, is about erm... 3mm I suppose... creamy with fuzzy on its tip... is it good? bad? or nothing??

Photo_004.jpg

A sponge... I think??

Photo_005.jpg

Rather impressed at the coralline on this stuff and all the little bits and pieces we found so far. There is definitely a bristle worm somewhere cos the guy who was packing it for us got spines in his thumb!! oops.

So, the LFS guy said we should have the salinity at around 1.020 - 1.022, which he said was what they keep their fish at and if we're buying from there it would help with the acclimating. Is this ok??

Apparently the rock is super fully cured, been there with them for at least a month, certainly looks good, so I'll start testing the water and hopefully, no cycling to do :)

those little bubles look like bubble algae from what i can see.
you could try a Emerald Mithrax Crab.

but dont pop them as this will only spread the spores

Some popped before it went into the water. Argh! just what I need on day one! I'll look into it, thanks :)

at least you dont have glass anemones like me that is a nightmare

Some popped before it went into the water. Argh! just what I need on day one! I'll look into it, thanks :)

at least you dont have glass anemones like me that is a nightmare

I hope you touched wood. LOL. I don't want 'em!

I took out the couple of pieces with bubbles on and took as much off as I could. Now I have little green bubbles floating around the tank like it was some kids birthday party! Looks like I am spending the evening armed with a turkey baster. :crazy:

sounds fun :D

:D I just turned off the lights and put my moonlights on, and within 5 minutes I had some sort of crab sitting looking out of a hole waving his pincers at me - couldn't see hi properly, and a snail of some sort... with a black and white 'feeler' sticking out... very very cool. Off to ID!

Most reactions

Back