My 48g Fowlr Journey. 13 Months On...

OK, a few questions as I embark on my little adventure!

If LR is out of water for literally 15 minutes... how long will the cycle take? I'm assuming the cycle will happen pretty quickly? Might I even avoid a mini-cycle?
Am I right in thinking I can add my clean up crew pretty much straight away after I add my LR? If not, when?
I am planning a couple of clowns once my levels are right and have been for a couple of weeks... do I need to quarantine? If so, should I put them in a 10g with some LR for filtration? How long should I quarantine... if at all?

Thanks to anyone willing to advise :) :good:

If its out just 15 mins, you may avoid a cycle or you may require a couple days for it to complete. Inverts should be added once the cycle (if any) is complete AND nitrates are 30ppm or less. You dont need to quarantine your first fish IMO.

If its out just 15 mins, you may avoid a cycle or you may require a couple days for it to complete. Inverts should be added once the cycle (if any) is complete AND nitrates are 30ppm or less. You dont need to quarantine your first fish IMO.

Thanks Ski, how will I know for sure that it is cycled? Does ammonia & nitrite readings at 0 and a positive nitrate reading ONLY occur after the cycle is complete? Like... any die-off would cause a positive ammonia reading, yes?

Sorry.. I think I am getting a little nervous now it is coming to crunch time and I want to be 110% sure I understand everything correctly! I'd hate to put anything in the tank too early...

So yeah, ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate = below 30ppm, and we're ready for inverts... correct? :good: or :no: ?

:hey:

Sorry.. I think I am getting a little nervous now it is coming to crunch time and I want to be 110% sure I understand everything correctly! I'd hate to put anything in the tank too early...

good luck, i'm dead excited for you, part of me wishes we'd done it this way and could have started from scratch with our tank.

look forward to seeing how you're getting on :D

good luck, i'm dead excited for you, part of me wishes we'd done it this way and could have started from scratch with our tank.

Thanks miss wiggle! I am excited, but nervous! You had the benefit of everything being established I suppose.. but it must have been very nerve racking moving everything... you're lucky to have Ian, my hubby is interested enough to listen, shop and plan the livestock, but he's not in anyway hands-on! (it's probably a good thing :crazy: )

The pics should start soon! woo! LOL

Questions... I was planning on filling the tank maybe halfway then adding the liverock and sand.. then filling to the top. Just reading another post, Ski advised to do the rock and sand first? Trouble is.. its gonna take me aaages to fill the tank, almost a whole day... so thats not good for the LR.. obviously... am I ok to do it as I planned? ALSO.. my RO ph is 7.8.. will the aragonite sand push it up high enough for the LR to be ok straight away?

Sorry, the questions should slow soon... I think, well, I hope! Doubtful though... LOL

Thanks miss wiggle! I am excited, but nervous! You had the benefit of everything being established I suppose.. but it must have been very nerve racking moving everything... you're lucky to have Ian, my hubby is interested enough to listen, shop and plan the livestock, but he's not in anyway hands-on! (it's probably a good thing :crazy: )

yeah we had the benefit of established problems, but once we've brought everything back round it's mature enough we can crack on with introducing fish and corals. :)

I'm very lucky to have him, in more ways than one but I won't go all mushy on you now! :wub: :blush:

both of us being into fish has it's benefits and drawbacks, we do tend to egg each other on and end up spending far too much money, but at least we've always got something to talk about and it helps having both of us able to do all the maintenance etc

it all depends how much live rock your putting in to start off

i'd put in live rock as soon as you get it and put sand around it always best to put rock on bottom before sand stops your rock stack moving as you build up[prob why ski advised putting rock and sand in together not sure thou] then you need to have enough water mixed with salt and ready to cover the rock you have put in then you can top up at your leisure once the rock is covered
hope this helps

yeah we had the benefit of established problems, but once we've brought everything back round it's mature enough we can crack on with introducing fish and corals. :)

I'm very lucky to have him, in more ways than one but I won't go all mushy on you now! :wub: :blush:

both of us being into fish has it's benefits and drawbacks, we do tend to egg each other on and end up spending far too much money, but at least we've always got something to talk about and it helps having both of us able to do all the maintenance etc

I'd see it as a blessing to have had to deal with 'established problems' ...with everything you deal with, you learn and you know for next time. Besides, where is the fun if it was too easy! lol!!

Oh, and yeah... save the mushyness, else I might end up doing the same, and you know how men's heads can swell if we praise them *too* much ;)

it all depends how much live rock your putting in to start off

i'd put in live rock as soon as you get it and put sand around it always best to put rock on bottom before sand stops your rock stack moving as you build up[prob why ski advised putting rock and sand in together not sure thou] then you need to have enough water mixed with salt and ready to cover the rock you have put in then you can top up at your leisure once the rock is covered
hope this helps

I'm putting all of it in at once, 20kg. Thanks for the advice, I think I know where I am at now. :good:

I'd see it as a blessing to have had to deal with 'established problems' ...with everything you deal with, you learn and you know for next time. Besides, where is the fun if it was too easy! lol!!

Oh, and yeah... save the mushyness, else I might end up doing the same, and you know how men's heads can swell if we praise them *too* much ;)

yup, but we could have learnt a lot from setting up a tank from scratch as well :)

ha ha ha i do indeed :lol:

How bout some pics of the tank as of now? :D

ah caught! LOL The tank looks exactly the same as it did when I got it! I have stain/varnish for the cabinet and dark blue paint for the back... both on my todo list for the next couple of days... should probably be doing it now, but being here is more apealing. LOL As soon as it is done, I'll post pics ;) :good:

Most reactions

Back