Mirrors?

Fastpage17

Reaction score
Sorry, should have included this with my last post. My wife wants a mirror backing on outside of the 55gal I am setting up. I have never tried this before. Is this OK? Any problems such as upsetting certain types of fish etc.? Thanks again.

don't think it will upset any fish, not something i'd go for tho.
I am not entirely sold on the idea either but I am making a lot of concessions to my wife to get the tank out of the downstairs family room and into the living room. I may just give it a try as I already have an old mirror I could cut down slightly. Thanks for the reply.

well i would say it depends on the fish cuz my red devil sees it reflection and it won't stop head butting the glass....

Sorry, should have included this with my last post. My wife wants a mirror backing on outside of the 55gal I am setting up. I have never tried this before. Is this OK? Any problems such as upsetting certain types of fish etc.? Thanks again.

Bettas will definatly be affected. They will constantly be at war with the mirror

Instead of a mirror you can use tinfoil - if you crumple it then smooth it out it gives a lovely effect, reflects light into the tank and gives a feeling of depth. It is cheap so if you don't like it it has cost pennies B)
Mirrors can cause problems for territorial fish.
Sue

Thanks everyone. I will give the tinfoil a try. I suspected that a mirror might not be such a good idea as it seemed that maybe very aggressive fish would would go after thier reflection. Now I have an excuse to tell my wife "no." :hey: By the way, if anyone else has any background ideas they really like, I would be interested. I have the photographic background of plants etc, which I used to use but am tired of that. Just looking for something attractive and a little different. The tinfoil might be just the ticket.

Most reactions

Back