Mini Discus

matt295

Fishaholic
Reaction score
my lfs has these discus that are like mini. they say they only grow to 3-4 inches tall. Are these real? i was thinking about getting some for my 35 gallon

would it be okay to have, pair of discus, 1 tiger pleco, 1 king gypsy pleco, 1 leopard frog pleco, and tetras? i was thinking two or three of each of these tetras, cardinals, black neon tetras, green fire tetras, gold neon tetras, longfin serpae tetras, and maybe some black or white skirt tetras. is this overstocking becuase i think it might be.

would it be okay to have, pair of discus, 1 tiger pleco, 1 king gypsy pleco, 1 leopard frog pleco, and tetras? i was thinking two or three of each of these tetras, cardinals, black neon tetras, green fire tetras, gold neon tetras, longfin serpae tetras, and maybe some black or white skirt tetras. is this overstocking becuase i think it might be.

1, What size tank?
2, pairsanopnly be kept if there a PROVEN BREEDING pair, they will sulk and possibly die else.
3, Any pleco which doesnt get over 5" sould be fine.
4, keep the same type of tetras in grups of 6.
5, what you suggested is way overstocked.

DiscusAngel

thats what i thought. is there any way to sex discus? i think my plecos will grow to five inches max. ill double check though. i f i cant find a pair could i have a single discus. would 5 cardinals, and five gold neon tetras be good? is this still overstocked?

thats what i thought. is there any way to sex discus? i think my plecos will grow to five inches max. ill double check though. i f i cant find a pair could i have a single discus. would 5 cardinals, and five gold neon tetras be good? is this still overstocked?

No way to sex discus. only when there breeding you can see the males between the females. you can buy breeding discus or buy a group and watch to pair of.

the 5 cardinals and 5 gold neon tetras will be fine.

yeah biggest pleco is the king tiger which is 4.8", then the leopard frog pleco which is 4.4", then the candy striped pleco which is 4". also would i be able to fit a pair of rams in there. i think all of these are from the amazon right because i think ill make a biotype tank :good:

yeah biggest pleco is the king tiger which is 4.8", then the leopard frog pleco which is 4.4", then the candy striped pleco which is 4". also would i be able to fit a pair of rams in there. i think all of these are from the amazon right because i think ill make a biotype tank :good:
Yes sounds good but what size tank are we talkig a 40g would be perfct for this.

Except I heard that small tetras can be in danger of eaten by Discus when they are or become big adult. Especially Neons. I just hate to see the Neon/Gold Neons to disappear when the Discus become big.

DiscusAngel- it is a 35 gallon so its not that far off but you most likely know more than me about the discus because i have never had them. so i should stick with one discus and i can have the rams?
NEONCORY- when it gets too big i will probably take it back. My lfs stocks babies as i thought were mini discus but DiscusAngel told me they were just babies so i will get one of those :good:

DiscusAngel- it is a 35 gallon so its not that far off but you most likely know more than me about the discus because i have never had them. so i should stick with one discus and i can have the rams?
NEONCORY- when it gets too big i will probably take it back. My lfs stocks babies as i thought were mini discus but DiscusAngel told me they were just babies so i will get one of those :good:

a Breeding pair of discus and your plecs will be fine. i wouldnt get tetras as they could tart going missing. but make sure you have a proven breeding pair else they could die as not being in groups but when breeding they company them selves with there partner.

Also, dont buy the discus and return when they get to big. if you buy a breeding pair keep them or life if your returning them when they get bigger the dont bother.

wait so i should only get a pair of discus and the plecos? could i have 3 discus or some rams? my angels never ate my tetras so why would my discus?

what if the tetras were 2". would the discus be able to eat them?

First off let me tell you that some of this information is questionable at best.

30g is fine for a spawning pair of Discus, remeber though that you will need a bigger grow-out tank if you actually want to keep the eggs. You will need to put 5 or 6 in the 30g and wait for 2 to pair up. Also, DO NOT have any Plecos in the tank what so ever. I've heard just about all plecos will eat the slime coat off the Discus. Any small schooling fish should be avoiding also, these will be gobbled up by the Discus. Spawing will start when the Discus reach around 6". Males have more pointed fins and are bigger whereas females have more rounded fins and are smaller.

wait so i should only get a pair of discus and the plecos? could i have 3 discus or some rams? my angels never ate my tetras so why would my discus?

Can you get a 55g tank? if not the 35 can only hold a pair of discus (BREEDING) if you don want tht then you need a min of a 55 for a group of 5.

if yu get small discus (3-4") and grow the p with the tetras they may not eat them. and no dont hae rams. e need to see if you can get a 55g 1st.

my parents are getting us a 50 gallon tank but they want it to be salt. ill try talking them into it being FW. what if i put five discus in my 35 gallon for like a month or two and see if any pair up, then i would take the rest back and keep the pair. are you sure i cant keep even 2 inch tetras in there or the plecos?

Most reactions

Back