Mini Discus

my parents are getting us a 50 gallon tank but they want it to be salt. ill try talking them into it being FW. what if i put five discus in my 35 gallon for like a month or two and see if any pair up, then i would take the rest back and keep the pair. are you sure i cant keep even 2 inch tetras in there or the plecos?

ok heres your options

55g
5 Discus
8 Congo tetras
and your 3 plecs

35g
2 breeding discus (ask your Lfs for a breeding pair if not buy 6 pair 2 off and return the rest)
5 tetras
and your 3 plecs.

i knew you would know what to do :rolleyes: :good: what kind of tetras? thanks so much DiscusAngel
i couldnt thank you enough

i knew you would know what to do :rolleyes: :good: what kind of tetras? thanks so much DiscusAngel
i couldnt thank you enough

erm in the 55g have congo tetras there great tankmates fo discus

here they are
Congo_Tetras.jpg

but in the 35g with 2 discus (breeding) have 5 Bleeding heart tetras.

here they are
bleeding_heart.jpg

could i have black/white skirts instead? the only thing that sucks about this is that if you return a fish back to the store you only get a third of the price back.

forgot to add these, should i get 6 small or large discus because i dont think large will fit. also, its going to be okay to have the plecos in there even though discuslova said they would eat the mucus off them? thanks so much

i dont seem why not,I like cardinals with discus.Or congo tetras are nice once fully grown and got colour.

did you read the whole post. both DiscusAngel and AngelLova said that the cardinals will be killed. congo tetras will probably be too big right which is why im getting either skirt tetras, or bleeding hearts

could i have black/white skirts instead? the only thing that sucks about this is that if you return a fish back to the store you only get a third of the price back.

forgot to add these, should i get 6 small or large discus because i dont think large will fit. also, its going to be okay to have the plecos in there even though discuslova said they would eat the mucus off them? thanks so much

black skirts are fine.

you could watch the ones in the shop see who are together and see whos watchin put them in your tank and you may have some luck but this isnt the ideal way 5 discus in te 55 would be better

also your plecs arent the often sort that will eat slimecoat this is often common and gibby plecos.

I,ve had cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras in my discus tank for 6 mths & not lost one yet my discus are quite big but have never bothered to even chase them, alot of people keep cardinals with discus.But as with most big fish, if they are hungry and it will fit in their mouths its a possability. Neon tetras which are smaller will get eaten though. I also think a bigger tank would be better if you can.
Is your tank set up,what is the height of the tank, what is your ph?
Angel

my tank is 1 foot 6 inches tall, maybe a little bit taller. i just took some water out today and took all of my fish back to the store, so it will be ready for fish in like a week. DiscusAngel, couldnt i get five little guys and see if any form a pair then take them back? if not ill just see if i can find a pair

I think that you are being a little bit stubborn on fitting everything in a 35 gallon tank. Discus should not even be in a tank under 50g imo, but thats what I think. Try to have rams and a gaggle of tetras and no discus? And the plecos. The discus really limits your options in a small tank like that. I feel bad having my 3 juvenile angels in a 46 gallon.

well im only getting a pair of discus, the three plecs, and some black skirt tetras (maybe)

Discus will not pair off untill they get nearly adult size and before then 5 discus would have outgrown your tank. Discus can be bullys and will get distressed if there is not enough room in tank for them to hideout. You could get an adult breeding pair. I would also not recomend plecs in the tank, if they get hungry they can try to eat the slime off Discus and also produce alot of waste, imo bristlenose are better. Small discus also get stunted if water conditions are not good, these fish have the potential to grow 7-8" and like to be kept in shoals.
Angel

Most reactions

Back