Maybe a bit creepy!

No, just not the response I was expecting. :lol:
There’s a well known in U.K. 1970s sitcom in which one character who has just left the army goes to have his first civvy street haircut in 8yrs with his trendy 70s quiffed best mate while trying to avoid hearing a football game result. Gents hairdressing has changed a LOT since his last visit.
Well they spy a friend in there with a similar hairstyle to yours. In the resulting verbals the ex army guy quips “They do French polishing in here now as well do they?”
THATS the response I was expecting.....mainly because I’ve heard it so many times before over the last 40+ years.
Anyway I think you look very smart mate.

There’s a well known in U.K. 1970s sitcom in which one character who has just left the army goes to have his first civvy street haircut in 8yrs with his trendy 70s quiffed best mate while trying to avoid hearing a football game result. Gents hairdressing has changed a LOT since his last visit.
Well they spy a friend in there with a similar hairstyle to yours. In the resulting verbals the ex army guy quips “They do French polishing in here now as well do they?”
THATS the response I was expecting.....mainly because I’ve heard it so many times before over the last 40+ years.
Anyway I think you look very smart mate.
"The Likely Lads"

My snails are called after them(Bob and Terry).

There was another snail which appeared in the tank (temporarily "Zoom"), which we named Thelma, but she seems to have disappeared, which is very upsetting

IIRC, the bloke in the barber's was "Flinty", played by the late Brian Glover - most famous for his role as amiable thicko Cyril Heslop in "Porridge" (Most famous line in that programme. "I read a book once. It was green.") :D

Flushable Pets said: "I'm ugly on the inside." :sad:

yeh...beauty is only skin deep

Last edited:
"The Likely Lads"

My snails are called after them(Bob and Terry).

There was another snail which appeared in the tank (temporarily "Zoom"), which we named Thelma, but she seems to have disappeared, which is very upsetting

IIRC, the bloke in the barber's was "Flinty", played by the late Brian Glover - most famous for his role as amiable thicko Cyril Heslop in "Porridge" (Most famous line in that programme. "I read a book once. It was green.") :D
Spot on. My favourite episode of any sitcom ever. I’d never have remembered Glovers characters name. Love him in Porridge and Kes as the PE teacher.
The B&W Likely Lads are poor though. Shame they couldn’t make up and make another series. Both retired or whatever just as long as Terrys sisters still around. Phwoar etc.

Spot on. My favourite episode of any sitcom ever. I’d never have remembered Glovers characters name. Love him in Porridge and Kes as the PE teacher.
The B&W Likely Lads are poor though. Shame they couldn’t make up and make another series. Both retired or whatever just as long as Terrys sisters still around. Phwoar etc.
I believe it was James Bolam's (Terry) decision never to talk to Rodney Bewes again which stopped further series. Bolam is a very private man - never gave interviews and didn't want his family in the limelight at all (good for him - I agree with this actually), and as I understand it Rodney Bewes (Bob) was being interviewed by a journalist who asked him a single, innocuous question about Bolam (I can't remember the details - something like "Are you friends offscreen?" I expect) Bewes said something bland in reply, possibly along the lines of "We get on well, but usually like to spend time with our families when we aren't filming so don't see much of each other" and if what I read at the time is right (and it may not be), Bolam went off it, said Bewes had no right to discuss him and his family and he never wanted to see or speak to him again. And he didn't.

If it is true, it is very sad and also doesn't give a good impression of Bolam . James Bolam is smashing actor, though. I've liked him in everything except "When The Boat Comes In" and that's because I thought the scripts were drivel!

I'd forgotten about Terry's sister Audrey until you mentioned her. But when you did my favourite line from her sprang into my head. Her husband was useless and I remember her say "I was going to leave Ernie but I couldn't find the time.". It was both hilarious and poignant at the time.

Brian Glover did "brutal psychopathic sadist gym teacher" superbly in "Kes" didn't he? Heartbreaking film. I cried

He was quite a versatile actor - tended to be typecast because he looked like a murderer, but he could cope with most roles.

I believe it was James Bolam's (Terry) decision never to talk to Rodney Bewes again which stopped further series. Bolam is a very private man - never gave interviews and didn't want his family in the limelight at all (good for him - I agree with this actually), and as I understand it Rodney Bewes (Bob) was being interviewed by a journalist who asked him a single, innocuous question about Bolam (I can't remember the details - something like "Are you friends offscreen?" I expect) Bewes said something bland in reply, possibly along the lines of "We get on well, but usually like to spend time with our families when we aren't filming so don't see much of each other" and if what I read at the time is right (and it may not be), Bolam went off it, said Bewes had no right to discuss him and his family and he never wanted to see or speak to him again. And he didn't.

If it is true, it is very sad and also doesn't give a good impression of Bolam . James Bolam is smashing actor, though. I've liked him in everything except "When The Boat Comes In" and that's because I thought the scripts were drivel!

I'd forgotten about Terry's sister Audrey until you mentioned her. But when you did my favourite line from her sprang into my head. Her husband was useless and I remember her say "I was going to leave Ernie but I couldn't find the time.". It was both hilarious and poignant at the time.

Brian Glover did "brutal psychopathic sadist gym teacher" superbly in "Kes" didn't he? Heartbreaking film. I cried

He was quite a versatile actor - tended to be typecast because he looked like a murderer, but he could cope with most roles.
Yeah Audrey would’ve never ended up with that Ernie in real life. Same with Terry and the Scandinavian girlfriend. Unrealistic.
Clement and LaFrenais used Audreys feller in Porridge as well. He played Harris. He also had a big part in Raiders Of The Lost Ark because Spielberg thought he had a Peter Lorre in Casablanca type slimy ness that he saw when watching Porridge.
How on earth I remember this stuff I’ve no idea!

Yeah Audrey would’ve never ended up with that Ernie in real life. Same with Terry and the Scandinavian girlfriend. Unrealistic.
Clement and LaFrenais used Audreys feller in Porridge as well. He played Harris. He also had a big part in Raiders Of The Lost Ark because Spielberg thought he had a Peter Lorre in Casablanca type slimy ness that he saw when watching Porridge.
How on earth I remember this stuff I’ve no idea!
Yes - poor Ronald Lacey - another underrated actor and one whose looks belied his character, I think. He certainly had that sliminess after his face melted . . . d:D

I always thought he was cursed with the look of a young (though much better looking!) Charles Laughton, as well as the creepy Lorre vibe. His daughter, Rebecca Lacey also went into acting - she managed to both be the image of her dad AND stunningly pretty!

Genetics, eh? :D
:lol:

Most reactions

Back