Josh's Marine Adventure!

So far Clowns first dottyback last. Its just that some gobies are quite timid, depends which one you want if you want one.

I have left 3-4 weeks inbetween fish but I think I have been very cautious. On the other hand, I stocked some of my corals quite quickly. Sure some others will add to that.

if you want a goby or a timid fish like a goby, i would add him first, its VERY important with any goby that you get it feeding within 2 days of buying him, if there are any other fish in the tank that are gannets, he will struggle to start eating as the 'gannets' will steal the food.

Ok so I've been out and wasted more cash lol :) came home with 2 ocel clowns and a cleaner shrimp :)

They had xenia frags there too, picked one of them up, its right up on top of my rock stack, it was attached to a ceramic ring by elastic band, so I've banded it to my rock, would epoxy be better? it was cheap as I bought the rest and got money knocked off :good: gotta be worth a shot atleast lol!

The clowns are seriously cool, seem perfectly settled and happy now :D they flew at the couple of small flakes I put in for them, at the same time all 6 nassarius poked their heads outa the sand :p

Pics later, going cinema then post em afterwards :good:

Thinking of going one step further with the lighting maybe, I could get a 2 x39W Hagen Glo lumi and suspend it above.. its designed to fit for minimum 89cm aquariums, mine's 80, so the tubes should pretty much be the length of the tank if i get it central I reckon it'll be ok!

Sound good/bad?

If your going to suspend it I would say it would be ok, I think they give that minimum as the smallest tank that the fixing brackets will fit onto.

It is your choice how you fix your coral down, I have had great success with the TMC coralline coloured epoxy. I also have a tube of superglue on hand that sticks down any coral coming away from its rock. The superglue (must be cyanoacrylate) will also be useful for fragging. Comes down to preference in some applications to be honest. I believe you can get a cyanoacrylate gel aswell that is thicker than normal superglue.

Clowns and cleaner shrimp sound good. I have been shopping today too, credit card of the other half took a beating again. (On his birthday I might add)

What ya get then Tina? Handbags? shoes? corals? lol :p

I have D&D aquarium epoxy in the same colour as yours, I just wasnt sure if I'd damage it as it's not attached to rock or anything! I'll see how it's fairing in the mornng :)

I'll pick up that light unit on next payday, atleast I'll get about a months use out of the brand new ballasts and tubes :p

Coral and crab and ordered fish. Come on I have a serious coral addiction.
My dodgiest choice in coral so far, healthy specimens usually ok but need to keep the flow right to prevent sweeper tentacles. Really really nice and really eye catching though, also knew before I bought it so at least I am prepared.
Will update my journal tommorrow, need to get pics of the coral first.

With xenia, the stem is quite jelly like and epoxy may not be the best thing. Superglue onto the disc may work but to be honest the elastic band may well do until it takes a hold (it will do aswell).

Meant to ask, where about outside cardiff are you, got my cousin from cardiff coming to stay on Sunday for a week or two.

just rest the xenia against where you want it to be, it should grab hold by itself within a few days. the elastic band may be useful for doing this.

Coral and crab and ordered fish. Come on I have a serious coral addiction.
My dodgiest choice in coral so far, healthy specimens usually ok but need to keep the flow right to prevent sweeper tentacles. Really really nice and really eye catching though, also knew before I bought it so at least I am prepared.
Will update my journal tommorrow, need to get pics of the coral first.

With xenia, the stem is quite jelly like and epoxy may not be the best thing. Superglue onto the disc may work but to be honest the elastic band may well do until it takes a hold (it will do aswell).

Meant to ask, where about outside cardiff are you, got my cousin from cardiff coming to stay on Sunday for a week or two.
Serious reef addiction more like :p I'll look forwards to seeing your update :good: meant to nick GF's cam today for some decent pics but forgot so I'll get it tonight when I see her, I'll get some this afternoon from phone though :)

yeah its quite strange lol, all squigey and jelly like as you say! It's banded on so I'll see if it takes hold by itself like Anguilla says :good:

Got some PS3 stuff to stick on ebay today so hopefully that'll raise the light funds :D spoke to the refugium people, it's on the van to be delivered today, so I'll update with pics ofc...I'm long overdue posting pics sorry :( I have some under moonlight too!

Another Q..are blue tubes beneficial or just for our visual enjoyment? The reason I ask is because I was thinking it may be better if I get 2 power glo 18000k 39W tubes for the new light and just use my moonlight LED's for couple hours at night? with nearly 2.5WPG what extra corals would that allow for? Would an anenome be possible at all?

Thanks and sorry for all teh questions lol, I'll reward you with pics :p

I am not brilliant on lighting myself, I know I have read Ben saying that white light has more usable light spectrum for corals. At the moment I run 2 white and 2 blue but my tank is only 15" tall. If I see any slow down on coral growth, I can easily swap a blue for a white tube.

Don't think it is enough for a nem, need someone like seffie (who so far has been successful, maybe a look in her journal to see what she uses) or ben or Rabbut who is good on hardware may be better to answer this part.

Where about outside Cardiff are you?? I know the area quite well, have family down there, plus I have one the most common welsh surnames courtesy of my grandad.

Will be looking forward to the piccies :good: Will get mine loaded later.

the W per gallon rule is uselss really. You could have a 100 gallaon tank thats 4' deep. Then you wouldnt be able to keep much down there.
There is more useable light in white tubes compared to blues aswel. You would get a better PAR reading under 3 white and one blue as aposed to 50:50 mix

I am not brilliant on lighting myself, I know I have read Ben saying that white light has more usable light spectrum for corals. At the moment I run 2 white and 2 blue but my tank is only 15" tall. If I see any slow down on coral growth, I can easily swap a blue for a white tube.

Don't think it is enough for a nem, need someone like seffie (who so far has been successful, maybe a look in her journal to see what she uses) or ben or Rabbut who is good on hardware may be better to answer this part.

Where about outside Cardiff are you?? I know the area quite well, have family down there, plus I have one the most common welsh surnames courtesy of my grandad.

Will be looking forward to the piccies :good: Will get mine loaded later.
Opps sorry, I forgot to reply about Cardiff lol, I like in Penarth which is like 3 or so miles out of cardiff, you should know it atleast by the pier here :)

I think 2 white tubes and LED moonlight is the way for me then :good: the xenia has started to open up a little now, not anything like it was in the shop but slowly but surely its opening :) off the top of my head its 18" tall, definately going to need to whop out the epoxy to build my rock up a little higher in there..you're always on late Tina so pics will be up then when i get back :good:

Can Nems go up the tank sides then ben? as my PH are situated at the top of the tank. Not a problem if it's a no go, although it would have been nice to have a nem for the clowns to hopefully host :) they're sticking to one end of the tank and the cleaner at the other, he did give my fingers a clean today :D

My refugium just turned up, still in the box atm, arrived with a taxi driver, think hes working for home delivery network :lol:

Off to work with this then :D

Most reactions

Back