Gr44's Fishless Cycle Log

I checked it 12 hours after the last dose and it had 1ppm of ammonia and 1ppm of nitrite.

I've not checked since then (~10pm on Saturday night)

I will check when I get home this evening, hopefully early! and dose it again, might be working from home the next few days so I can keep a closer eye on it!!

Its ok, you now know that you are getting closer to double-zeros at 12 hours and it will probably take it some days to get there...

~~waterdrop~~

All,

I've checked again (24 hours later) and my ammonia is 0ppm and Nitrite is 1.0ppm...

Seems I'm going backwards?!

What's going on? I was really hoping to get some fish in this weekend (as I have been the past 2-3 weekends) - it seems to be never ending :(

Any help please?

Thanks,

Sean

Okay...

I'm confused what i've done recently but this is the very latest...

I bought some buckets and a gravel cleaner today... took about 25L out of the tank and cleaned it up a little, I've also removed the filter media I was given.

Done a test and my stats are;

pH = 7.6-8
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 40-80ppm

I'm going to add in ammonia now and check it tomorrow morning... be interesting to see what impact my messing about has on the time scales!

Cleaning your filter in used tank water should not have any effect on the cycle unless you got crazy scrubbing filter parts.

Okay.. for a change it's 12 hours later and I've done a check, hurrah!

pH = 7.6 - 7.8
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 1ppm or 5ppm... I can't tell :/

Ah well, will load it with ammonia again tonight.... or is it good enough to buy fish today? (please say it is!) :D

Okay.. for a change it's 12 hours later and I've done a check, hurrah!

pH = 7.6 - 7.8
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 1ppm or 5ppm... I can't tell :/

Ah well, will load it with ammonia again tonight.... or is it good enough to buy fish today? (please say it is!) :D

I'd go ahead and get your fish. The tank should sort itself out, just try to keep an eye on the vitals for the first few days.

You do seem to be one of these people that's had the "sticking thing" of nitrite wanting to come back in the final phase. You long ago had a clear "nitrite spike" phase that's come and gone I believe.

It could very well be that if you did the big water change, got fish and monitored it, you wouldn't see any problems. I guess there's a small chance the filter somehow has a problem and we're missing it, but probably its ok.

~~waterdrop~~

Do'h, well the store shuts in 20mins and I need to change water etc etc... so I won't rush.. I'll add more ammonia in tonight and if all looks good tomorrow morning I'll get fish tomorrow or Tuesday! :)

Do'h, well the store shuts in 20mins and I need to change water etc etc... so I won't rush.. I'll add more ammonia in tonight and if all looks good tomorrow morning I'll get fish tomorrow or Tuesday! :)

Glad to hear you won't rush it, let us know how it looks tomorrow.

Just tested again... 24 hours after I added ammonia last and...

Ammonia = 0ppm

Nitrite = 1.0ppm......

Urgh!

Pesky thing.... obviously not adding any ammonia tonight... fish tomorrow after a water change or hold or a couple more days? I *must* get some before the weekend... :(

Tested again - 12 hours later -

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 5ppm (I think?)

Not fish ready? :(

Will add more Ammonia in tonight - won't be able to check tomorrow morning though

Most reactions

Back