Gr44's Fishless Cycle Log

Little less than 24 hours later as I'm out shortly....

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0.50ppm

Looks like Nitrite is starting to catch up again... hurrah!

I've just loaded it with another ammonia dose, will check again tomorrow morning

24 hours later....

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0.25ppm

Added more ammonia.... *sniff* this is still another week or 2 away isn't in? :(

It could be 2 weeks or 2 days. It is frustrating but we are working with living things, not simple chemistry, and it will be ready when it is ready. I find it far too unpredictable to try to say it should be x amount of time.

12 hours later (near enough)

Ammonia = 1.0ppm
Nitrite = 1.0ppm (I think...)

Ho hum, maybe my filter just doesn't have enough area for the bacteria to colonize?

Going by the last edit to the first post, you look to be under 50 days into fishless cycling, so I'd say you are looking like you are ahead of schedule. We see a lot of cases that seem to wrap up by maybe day 70. You've clearly come down off your nitrite spike and are hanging around doing some "sticking" in the final phase, which we also see a lot.

~~waterdrop~~

Its no big deal Gr44. This is biological science, not rocket science. Small variations happen with the bacteria and with what we do. If you missed a whole day, the expected die off is only about 10%.

24 hours after....

Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm

I'm going to add a small bit of ammonia now, just to keep the filter going... I'll add a full dose tonight so I can get my normal timings back - else i'll never be able to check it come weekdays!

Most reactions

Back