Gr44's Fishless Cycle Log

Nitrite level of nil will be instantly recognisable. If it is not, it's likely beyond 5ppm. If so, it's quite likely the bacteria is not yet pushing nitrites to nitrates explaining their low numbers.

I would still expect some nitrates however, unless you are seeing nil in the tap water or have plenty of plants (or both).

Well, I get 0ppm in the tap water, but if you check my log I've been showing Nitrate for quite some time, upto 80ppm.... then last night it all vanished?!

Ah well, I'll be doing another test in a few hours, see what that reveals!

Thanks for the replies :)

Tested again about 22:00

pH = 7.6
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate = 80+ppm
Nitrite = off the scales (purple @ start)

Added more ammonia

It looks like you have your nitrates back. If you don't get a very good mix on the nitrate test, it can come out very far off. I treat the times in the instructions as a bare minimum for mixing. More is really better if your arm can take it.

Yeah, guess I did something wrong!!

Right, bit of a problem because I am off early tomorrow morning and won't be back for nearly a week!

My test results tonight:

23:30

pH = 7.4
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate = 5ppm
Nitrite = 1.0ppm

Again, why are my Nitrates dropping?! I did the test for ages this time... :/

Oh well, looks like my Nitrite levels are really working their way down now!

My plan is to add another 4-5ppm of Ammonia tonight, re-test before I go tomorrow and add more Ammonia if it's at 0ppm. I will then add some goldfish flakes so hopefully they will keep the bacteria alive while I'm away. If you think this is a good/bad idea or have a better option - please post asap and I'll check back tomorrow before I leave!!

Also, My Nitrite test goes purple at the bottom but then goes to purple after waiting 5mins... i assume this is 1ppm not 'off the scale' as it suggests for API test kits in the fishless cycle guide??

Thanks all

Sean

Don't forget, nitrate(NO3) tests are not really reliable when there's a lot of nitrite(NO2) around also. Nitrate tests are really more useful later when nitrite is zero and you're all cycled and maintaining a normal tank.

~~waterdrop~~

As an emergency measure to keep things ticking over while you are gone, that looks like not such a bad plan GR44.

Ah okay thanks WaterDrop, I was thinking something was going wrong with the odd results!

Cheers for the reponse OldMan47, I will throw a handful in now :)

See you all in a week!!

Sean

Okay all, I'm back and just done the usual tests;

pH = 8.0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 80+ppm

I've dosed it with Ammonia again so we'll see what happens to it over the weekend! :)

Double zeros with a handful of food decaying in the tank shows you have some robust bacteria even if it is not quite giving double zeros with the typical ammonia dosing. Keep us posted on your 12 hour results. I am starting to get (prematurely?) excited.

Can't do it in 12 hours (it'll be 3:30am!) but here is one before bed - taken at 11:20 so only 8hours ish...

Ammonia = 2-4ppm
Nitrite = 0.50ppm

So it's definatly on it's way!

I'll check again tomorrow morning when I get up, if it's back to 0/0 should i load it with ammonia again? My 'normal' 24 checking time will go back to evenings now I'm back home... - do I need to do it every 12 hours?!

Cheers! :)

You want to load the ammonia at a time so that you can actually measure it 12 hours later. If you are home every day at the same time, maybe you could dose 12 hours before that when you get up in the morning. For me that's easy, I get up around 4AM and I am almost always home by 4PM. Not everyone has such an easy time picking a good dosing time.

Okay, taken more readings at 11am

Ammonia = 1.0ppm
Nitrite = 0.5ppm

I guess the fish flakes might be adding to the Ammonia still as well?

I'll test again approx 11pm and if it's all back to 0ppm I'll add more Ammonia.

You might want to do a gravel vac to get the decaying flakes out of the substrate. That way you will know what you are working with in terms of ammonia additions. People who cycle using fish flakes never really know how much they have in their tanks and have to guess that there is enough decaying in the tank to represent a full fish load. It is not nearly as precise as we do with bottled ammonia but it works just fine in most cases.

Most reactions

Back