Gr44's Fishless Cycle Log

It looks like you are right at the very beginning of the nitrite spike. At day 8 that is great progress.

Thanks OldMan47.

Apologies... I was quite drunk last night and little better tonight!! Still, the readings are:

23:51

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 2-4ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm
Nitrite: 1.00ppm

Thanks all :)

Another day... another test....

This daily testing is becoming a bit of a chore!!

19:56

pH: 8
Ammonia: 2-4ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm
Nitrite: 1.00ppm

Am I doing something wrong? Why have I had such little change recently??

you're not doing anything wrong! it's just taking a while!

(ps. I know exactly how you feel though!)

Agree. You're doing fine. You're only in the second week, so not surprising ammonia is slow to drop.

A "perfect" cycle, following the mathematical multiplication of the cells upward would be 21 days. We see many, many fishless cycles that end between Day 60 and Day70 or so.

~~waterdrop~~

All, Picked up some mature media from a member on TFF today about 15:30 (thanks!!!) latest stats below taken at 22:30.

pH = 8
Ammonia = 2-4ppm
Nitrate = 80ppm
Nitrite = 2-5ppm

Heh, we both done the same thing within a few hours of each other! Give it a bit to take effect, got my fingers crossed for you! :good:

Righto.....

I didn't test last night, was too tired when I got in :(

But tonight we have a break through!! (thanks for the crossed fingers cazzie!!)

pH = ~7.8
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate = 80ppm
Nitrite = ~5ppm? (It's very bright purple against a light?)

I'm going to add about 4-5ppm of Ammonia now... see what the test reveals tomorrow! :D

Another test:

01:10

pH = 7.4-7.6
Ammonia = 0ppm
Nitrate = 0ppm
Nitrite = 1 or 5ppm... I can't tell - with no light behind it looks slightly closer to 5ppm - with light behind it's 1ppm for sure... how can I tell??

I'm confused... I thought Ammonia and NitITE should be getting to 0ppm and NiTRATE is always in the tank and can only be removed by water change... how is this at 0ppm?

I'm going to top the tank up with another dose of Ammonia tonight, to keep the bacteria going.

Would be grateful for some feedback now as to where I am and what the next step(s) are!

Thanks,

Sean

Most reactions

Back