Gr44's Fishless Cycle Log

A damp light bulb is never a good thing Sean. If the connection to the power at the end cap is staying dry, it is probably fine. I have a piece of glass or, I think you guys in the UK call it perspex, between the water and my light fixtures on almost all of my tanks. It keeps the lamps from becoming wet. That means that all that I need to worry about with my lighting is the bulbs and fixture staying cool enough. Proper vent openings provide all of the insurance that I need for proper cooling.

Thanks coldcazzie & OldMan47.

I'll have to look in to the lightbulb properly... might just be because the temperture is set so high at the moment for the cycle though!

Day Four - 20:30

pH = 8
Ammonia = 4ppm
Nitrate = 40-80ppm
Nitrite = 0.50ppm

Well done you! Reckon you'll see a big nitrite spike very soon.

You should of started to see an ammonia drop if you seeing nitrites,
it only took a few days for me to get from 0.50 to off scale so hopefully yours will too :good:
Nice and Clean looking tank by the way

random afterthought - did you mean the actual bulb or the ends where it's plugged in (for want of a better phrase) because I'm pretty sure the bulb being damp aint so much of an issue as if the holders (again, better phrase - my heads gone to mush! :blink: ) are wet. After all - water + electricity = BAD!

PS. Apologies for how terrible that sentence came out :blush:

Thanks all... had a few drinks tonight so I'll re-read properly tomorrow :)

I'll take a photo of the light as well

Day Six (I had 3 day threes...?)

Day Six - 21:48

pH = 8
Ammonia = 2-4ppm
Nitrate = 80ppm
Nitrite =0.50ppm

Thanks Again :)

I'd go for the tetras but not till your tank is about 4 weeks after cycled.
Start with some hardy fish like danios, you can always swap them. Then add the tetras adding 2or4 each week. If your water stats are ok add 2 or3 fish per week after that.

I thought one of the points of a fishless cycle was that you can fully stock (or near enough) once you were done?

The amount of stocking can be close to a full stock Cazzie. The problem is that some fish are more sensitive than others to slight variations in tank chemistry. Minor bumps can go on for some time even in a properly cycled tank. I am not sure that the killies and head and tail lights couldn't go in right away but I would hold off on the rams in any new tank. There is no reason that I know of to use a zebra danio for the first stock in a properly cycled tank. In recent weeks my additions to newly cycled tanks have been some killies in one tank, goodeids in another and swordtails in another. I also moved my big molly female to a newly cycled tank so that she could have her next fry drop.

Ahh okay... The Tetra and Killies would be a great start though... :D

Would I be able to get those Glass Catfish in? They look awesome! 52L tank though... 600mm x 300mm x 300mm ?

Thanks again all... I'm off to bed now :)

I didn't mention the glass cats because I am not that familiar with them. I have seen them in the stores but have no personal experience with them. When it comes to me and fish, I only know what I have hands on experience with. The stories I have read about some of the fish that I have known all my life make me not trust much that I read. Things like delicate guppies, unheard of in my experience, rampantly aggressive Betta splendens, always peaceful in my tanks, mollies that must have salt, mine breed fine without it are just among the many things that make me not repeat what others say except to a brand new person. In that case I will say things like "I have read that" when I give advice that I might not even use myself.

Thanks again all! :)

Just brief one tonight as I'm busy... latest readings:

pH = 8
Ammonia = 2-4ppm
Nitrate = 80ppm
Nitrite = 0.50ppm

No Change :(

Sorry, #41#### bank holiday..... All I've done is drunk beer!!!

Day Eight

pH = 8.2
Ammonia = 4ppm
Nitrate = 80ppm
Nitrite = 1.0ppm

Most reactions

Back