• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • might be

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cheesy feet

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Do you think it would be fair if I got a golden retriever, which I would walk every morning and evening, but leave it at home from 8:30-3:30 by itself?

"Golden Retrievers tend to be crepuscular- more active in the mornings and at the evenings. Between these times, many retrievers are happy to sleep providing they get a good burst of exercise each day. "

is it going to be outside or inside?
if its kept inside how will it be able to go outside to do its business?

There are many retrievers at rescue centres sitting in cages for hours alone because the staff are so over loaded with unwanted dogs. If you took on a rescue particulaly then any attention and love, walking etc is going to be better than what it is used to imo.

i've never owned one, so i won't vote, but i would say that it depends on whether you got an adult or a puppy. An adult that is housetrained would probably be fine provided enough toys to amuse itself. Our dogs have always had the house to themselves during the day while my parents are at work, and (before we went to college) me and my sister were in school. However I don't think 7 hours is an appropriate time to leave a puppy regardless of whether or not it is housetrained.

Not really, no. These are gun dogs, working dogs. They need a lot of exercise to keep in shape. If you did 1-2 hours of exercise in the morning, and another hour or so in the evening, it'd be okay. In between it'd be so tired it wouldn't notice your absence. But for a working person, that's a big demand.

Just like other gun dogs (labs, setters, etc.) these dogs need around 2-3 hours of casual exercise (walking about town at human walking speed) or a good hour or so of strenuous exercise (rambling/running off the leash in the country) to stay in good shape. If you can't do that, you're going to end up with fat goldie, and that's not a good thing. Almost all the goldies I've seen in towns are fat.

Cheers, Neale

Do you think it would be fair if I got a golden retriever, which I would walk every morning and evening, but leave it at home from 8:30-3:30 by itself?

Hi, don't own a golden, so didn't vote, but work with them, and agree with Neale......They'll be ok if you are totally committed to lots of exercise am and pm, but it's a big commitment- be really sure before you go ahead!
having said that, if you do get one, enjoy your new baby! ^_^

Not really, no. These are gun dogs, working dogs. They need a lot of exercise to keep in shape. If you did 1-2 hours of exercise in the morning, and another hour or so in the evening, it'd be okay. In between it'd be so tired it wouldn't notice your absence. But for a working person, that's a big demand.

Just like other gun dogs (labs, setters, etc.) these dogs need around 2-3 hours of casual exercise (walking about town at human walking speed) or a good hour or so of strenuous exercise (rambling/running off the leash in the country) to stay in good shape. If you can't do that, you're going to end up with fat goldie, and that's not a good thing. Almost all the goldies I've seen in towns are fat.

Cheers, Neale

That's what I hoped for, I'll have to practise waking up earlier and going to bed earlier!Theres a big track and feilds right beind our house so walking it would be no problem...Luckily i'm not unfit so I don't mind atall, infact whenever I see my uncle's or aunt i'm always playing with there dogs.

Hi, don't own a golden, so didn't vote, but work with them, and agree with Neale......They'll be ok if you are totally committed to lots of exercise am and pm, but it's a big commitment- be really sure before you go ahead!
having said that, if you do get one, enjoy your new baby! ^_^
Thanks, I do understand that it will be a massive commitment. :good:

Could a retriever hold it in all that time then, if it was trained?

Lots of people have dogs and jobs. I have a job, and I have two labrador retrievers. Obviously, I cannot bring them to work with me, so they stay home. They are 2 and 7 years old now, and are home alone the 8.5 hour day, sometimes 9 if traffic is crappy.

When the little one was a wee pup, I had someone come in during the day to let her out. Expecting a puppy to hold it is unfair and cruel.

When I wasn't so tightly budgetted I also had someone come and let the girls out at lunch for a pee break, but that is not an option at this time. One day again soon, I hope it to be. Ideally I don't like to leave them to hold it for such a long stretch of time, but let's face it - there are many, many people and dogs across the World who go through the same thing, and so far, it's working out okay. Yes, there are accidents some days, I dog proof the house before I leave and I stuff kongs and other things to give them stuff to do, but for me, it's worth it.

My girls get walked in the a.m. before I leave, they are also walked again at lenght at night. We do obedience work together for mental stimulation, as physical exercise is not just enough. Retreivers like to have "jobs". They also have big retreiving sessions from time to time, but not everyday. They are pretty happy to be couch potatoes as well.

Good luck with whatever you do decide. It's a big commitment - 12 to 16 years of putting their needs before yours.

I've only lived with one golden, but until age 3 or so, she would completely destroy anything and everything within her reach if left alone for that length of time. She is now close to 10 years old, and even though she is old, grey, and has arthritis and other health problems, she still manages to destroy something if left alone for 24 hours or more, and that's even though she is being left outdoors with 16 acres of land to explore, lots of toys, and a nice doghouse inside the garage to sleep in, with blankets and even a heat lamp in the winter and electric fan in the summer. She, and every member of her breed I personally have ever encountered, are incredibly needy dogs that suffer greatly from separation anxiety and lack of stimulation.

Maybe I am generalizing. Maybe it would work out. However, were I in your situation, I would go with a different breed. You'd still end up with a wonderful companion, and I think there are lots of great options out there that would be much better suited to your lifestyle than a golden.

I dont own a goldie but my Uncle has 2.
No way would he ever leave his 2 on there own for 7 hours every day.Its just not fair on a dog to be left that long.
For a Pup they need to go out regular and are on 4 meals a day when you first get them and to leave them that Long House training is going to be impossible.
To get an older Dog to bring it into a strange home then suddeny for it to be left for 7 hrs a day is just so unkind even for an older Dog 7 hrs is a long time for it to not go to the Toilet

Not really, no. These are gun dogs, working dogs.

It's always funny when people mention this because our Golden retriver is absoloutely terrified of loud noises, she hides in the car on fireworks nights and even if you say the word 'bang' without it being loud, she has learnt to be afraid. I guess thats why you get them used to it when they're young.

I would say that a puppy would probably need more exercise in the day than what you can provide. Our dog's 10 and doesn't really walk much and sometimes finds longer walks more trouble, but even if you can't walk for long, little and often is better.

It's always funny when people mention this because our Golden retriver is absoloutely terrified of loud noises, she hides in the car on fireworks nights and even if you say the word 'bang' without it being loud, she has learnt to be afraid. I guess thats why you get them used to it when they're young.

I would say that a puppy would probably need more exercise in the day than what you can provide. Our dog's 10 and doesn't really walk much and sometimes finds longer walks more trouble, but even if you can't walk for long, little and often is better.

my dog its the same way, during fireworks or thunder shes scared to death. but when she used to pheasant hunt, she didn't mind shooting at all.

Retrievers of a young age can also be very mischievous if not trained, so I'd be surprised if you came back to a house in 1 piece :hyper:

We had a black labarador that was what is known as "gun shy", which has the same reactions as yours.

Most reactions

Back