yes/no/maybe

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• might be

• Total voters
Our lab is crated 7-8 hours a day and she is fine.

*c-r-a-t-e-d* 7-8 HOURS day? Sorry but that's downright utter cruelty. :crazy:
Why is it cruel??? Our youngest shiba inu will jump the gate between the mud room and the kitchen so she CAN go in the crate overnight, primitive dogs like shibas will feel more secure in a 'cave' like environment.
I think it is better for a dog to be crated than have separation anxiety attacks and chew the living room carpet/sofa/telly.

Steve
Well let's do some math. 8 hours crated during the day (sleeping cramped because there's nothing else to do). And another roughly 8 hours sleep at night. So let me guess that's around 16 out of 24 hours a day cramped up sleeping. What a "nice life".

I could see crating a dog for 7-8 hours at NIGHT, but crating for that long during the day is coming dangerously close to animal cruelty, IMO. I have seen people fined for keeping a dog confined that long.

Sorry, but id say no. Goldens are family dogs, that need CONSTANT activity and people. My grandma has 2 and she doesnt work, so she is home with them all day.

Our lab is crated 7-8 hours a day and she is fine.

*c-r-a-t-e-d* 7-8 HOURS day? Sorry but that's downright utter cruelty. :crazy:
Why is it cruel??? Our youngest shiba inu will jump the gate between the mud room and the kitchen so she CAN go in the crate overnight, primitive dogs like shibas will feel more secure in a 'cave' like environment.
I think it is better for a dog to be crated than have separation anxiety attacks and chew the living room carpet/sofa/telly.

Steve
Well let's do some math. 8 hours crated during the day (sleeping cramped because there's nothing else to do). And another roughly 8 hours sleep at night. So let me guess that's around 16 out of 24 hours a day cramped up sleeping. What a "nice life".
If she was crated for 16 hours of the day I would agree with you, but as she uses it as her bed and actively seeks it out by herself, then I am not going to argue the toss with someone who makes suppositions from nothing. My dogs are used to living on a farm and I would guess have much better lives than most cooped up in a house in an urban situation. So yes they do have a 'nice life'.

Attachments

• teru.jpg
    teru.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 79
Shibas are not the same as retrievers.

Shibas need more excercise than retrievers, but care should be exactly the same.

I'll see if I can get some outdoor space, recently we have moved our fence back about 20ft to provide a bit of garden instead of just a pond :rolleyes: .Maybe that could be used.I couldn't fence it in the patio area as right next door they have there poor dog in a small kennel thing all day, which barks when anything goes past.

Dont think I'm not heading your advice, just looking for options.

I've got a nice golden retriever myself, he's 3 now, will be 4 in April, we've had him since he was a little pup, so long as you train him right when he's a puppy he should be fine. I'd say it's fine leaving him well you're at school (that's what I assume you'd be doing :lol:) I leave mine from 8am til about 4pm monday-friday and he's fine. Also, goldens are active when ever they feel like it, not just in the day time. Mine's 3 (as I said) and loves to run and play, morning, noon and night, hell he'd run around the block with me all day if he could!

Good luck with the golden, hope you get one :)

k.o.d., the argument isn't that you can't crate a dog overnight. the argument is that you can't crate a dog all day AND all night.

meds081603 is talking about a dog that spends 2/3 of it's day in a tiny cage. supposedly this is fine because it gets roughly an hour of walking each day and goes out a lot on weekends.

you are talking about a dog that spends it's sleep period confined. it then spends the rest of it's day playing in a yard with other dogs.

i think we can all pick out the potential cruelty case here.

k.o.d., the argument isn't that you can't crate a dog overnight. the argument is that you can't crate a dog all day AND all night.

you are talking about a dog that spends it's sleep period confined. it then spends the rest of it's day playing in a yard with other dogs.

i think we can all pick out the potential cruelty case here.
Yes, I see your point, I was under the impression any sort of crating was seen as cruel, admittedly my crate is 6' x 4' so is larger than usual as well.

Perhaps I should of stated that her crate time is at night. Our dog also will get mad if she cant sleep in her crate. I agree with the other poster that any dogs I've seen that have crates prefer them to sleeping anywhere else. Crates are great for dogs!! Our dog sleeps for the night in her crate and even during the day takes catnaps in her crate. I would NEVER condone putting a dog in a crate for 7-8 hours during the day and THEN AGAIN at night. Also regarding crate size, if it is a crate intended for sleeping purposes, it should be no bigger than what is needed for the dog to get into and sleep. You don't really want crates that give the dog lots of room, the purpose of the crate is to simulate a den that the dog would naturally sleep in and feel secure.

glad you clarified that. although i would contend that a crate should be large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around in, since it is a forced confinement.

glad you clarified that. although i would contend that a crate should be large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around in, since it is a forced confinement.
Certainly big enough to stand and turn around! For older dogs my understanding is it doesnt really matter if it is big. When they are puppies or young dogs you just don't want it big enough that they go to the bathroom in it and still feel comfortable sleeping on the other side. We got our lab the day she was old enough to be taken from mom and it took her almost 2 months to be able to make it through the night every night w/o wanting a potty break!

Our lab doesn't much go outside in the day, she will go out and hair round like an idiot for about 20 minutes (nicknamed "The-wolf-half-hour") but other then that, she is happy inside wandering round where ever we go. If you get up and leave the room, you expect her to be there, if you turn round and she is not there, you find yourself wondering if she's ok. However, she has the option of asking to go out when ever she wants.

I wouldn't personally be happy leaving her all day on her own, I remember watching a time lapse film of a big dog in the house on his own on TV once, and he spent all his time between the sofa and getting up to go look out of the window to see if anyone was coming home yet. I expect it was an emotive film because the set the sound of a ticking grandfather clock over the video, so you really got an idea of time passing for him. It just doesn't seem right to put a big, social, animal in a solitary situation all day. I would expect some destruction/boredom issues if this is a young animal, but an older one would probably be lonely, though he wouldn't destroy your house.

It's one of those things like the last thread I was reading about flaming and the whole "if you do that, this will happen" argument. Some people do it and it's ok for them, some people don't think it's right to do so it doesn't work for them. Maybe two would be better company for each other? maybe two would be twice the problem?

We only got Sasha because Dan is home all day and he wanted a companion too. They make a good pair.

It would probably be O.K if you rescued a senior Golden Retriever.

Most reactions

Back