yes/no/maybe

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• might be

• Total voters
Yes, I know about their habbits for picking up everything and chewing it.For the last few years our uncle has visited with there retriever and we have to leave nothing on the floor...It simply eats anything :rolleyes:

Anyway i'll have to look into the matter later on.

Thanks for all your help.

Ours ate a can of spray paint, a coke can, the lighting around our outdoor pond (as in, she grabbed one of the lights and the electrical cords connecting them pulled up the rest as she ran), countless toys, my pet box turtle, a rotting dead chicken she found somewhere, her doghouse, every blanket or pillow we ever tried to put in her doghouse... well, basically, anything that was within reach, and some objects you would NOT think she'd be able to destroy.

EDIT: typo.

Is this pup going to be seen to at lunch, so he or she can go for a wee ect and a walk?
who is going to be the main carer? a young dog no mater what breed will need so much attention unless it gets this, left alone that long will find things to entertain itself, going through the teething stage will chew on anything it will find. if you can get someone to let it out ect then go for it :good:

Well as it happens my brother is home 4 days from college (one half day which he goes at 11) each week so maybe I can sort something out.Atm I have so many on going projects :look: The damn glass company which should have cut the glass and acrylic for my 270 says they can't find anything of the order :devil: :X damn i'm getting frustrated..

My aunt has a golden retriever who suffers from obesity, because it lives a "little dog"s life. They are dogs who get fat without excersise, and thrive on attention. She is a bundle of joy with lots of love to give, but she really needs more excersise.
So for seven hours, not too sure. Unless of course you build in a doggy door to a fenced yard.
They are amazing dogs. Though you should see if your job will let you take your dog in, I know at my fathers work they let them keep their dogs in teh office chasing around kong balls and chewing on bones, as long as they dont cause a raucous.
With that said, I think you should wait until you have more time for the dog, (unless you have the doggy door/dog walker)

i don't know about golden retreivers but my in laws has 2 labs ( close enough )and a border collie. the older lab and the collie grew up together, and had people around the house all day long. they are perfectly behaved. then they ended up taken on another lab puppy ( a long story), but by then they both had to be out of the house for most of the day - thinking the puppy will be looked after by the other 2 dogs. i have to say the puppy is less well behave and she has very bad manners for a dog.

I'm sorry if this has already been suggested/discussed, but do you not have a fenced-in yard that the dog could spend the day in? Why in particular does it need to be indoors all day while you're at work/school?

A well housetrained dog will do that with no problem, but a puppy would pine and in that time how would you train him/her

Our retriever is in with the rest of our dogs so has no problems with being alone as he never is, separation anxiety is quite common in 'only' dogs.

Steve :)

As long as it gets tons of attention and exercise and its not a puppy I don't see any issues. Our lab is crated 7-8 hours a day and she is fine. She gets a 30minute or so walk every morning. At nights she gets another 30-45minute walk/run. She gets lots of play time with the kids outside and just chasing birds/cats/anything that is alive and moves. On weekends she gets her real exercise in. She gets lots of trips to the park, swimming in the lake/pond/river, we do a lot of camping and hiking and always take her on our trips. As long as you provide lots of exercise and stimulation and give him/her lots of love when not in the crate I think your fine.

IMO these dogs don’t need 'hours' of exercise, in fact due to the inbreeding of many retrievers/labs etc they develop joint problems. A good burst of exercise once a day and a stroll at the other end of the day should be fine. Make sure it’s not locked up in only one room all day thou. Give it chance to wander the house and look outside waiting for its masters return.

Our lab is crated 7-8 hours a day and she is fine.

*c-r-a-t-e-d* 7-8 HOURS day? Sorry but that's downright utter cruelty. :crazy:

How is it cruel when that is pretty much sleep time? Most people spend that long sleeping, why is it no good for a dog? I guarantee she is happier and healthier than your average lab.

Our lab is crated 7-8 hours a day and she is fine.

*c-r-a-t-e-d* 7-8 HOURS day? Sorry but that's downright utter cruelty. :crazy:
Why is it cruel??? Our youngest shiba inu will jump the gate between the mud room and the kitchen so she CAN go in the crate overnight, primitive dogs like shibas will feel more secure in a 'cave' like environment.
I think it is better for a dog to be crated than have separation anxiety attacks and chew the living room carpet/sofa/telly.

Steve

I don't think being 'crated' for 7-8 hours a day is fair, the only reason they are sleeping is probably because there is nothing else they can (possibly) do. Besides they should be sleeping at night anyway. When people say they are active in only morning and the evening, with our dog it is a much shorter period, perhaps 4-5 hours. I bet if you left most retrievers in a room they wouldn't choose to be enclosed. Ideally they should have walks when younger throughout the day, these dogs need exercise. Crating is fine for just a short while but 7-8 hours? If it were me I'd probably die of boredom.

separation anxiety attacks

Why would a 'crate' stop this?

Most reactions

Back