George's Journal

4months away george ? thats too long... at that rate it might be better to rehome your plants and strip down the tank ? unless you could find a person to take care of the tank just like the way you do.....

What's harder George, a break from planted tanks or a break from your family :hey:
:lol:
4months away george ? thats too long... at that rate it might be better to rehome your plants and strip down the tank ? unless you could find a person to take care of the tank just like the way you do.....
A stripdown is out of the question. The tank is my living room's main focal point. It's viewed more by my family than the TV.

My eldest daughter is more than capable of the daily routines i.e. feeding, temp and filter checks etc. and a reefkeeping friend is doing the water changes and bigger tasks. I'm fairly confident I'll come back to a healthy tank.

Here's an interesting photo comparison. Check out the fern's growth in 9 months (April 05 to Jan 06).

post_10_1112461437.jpg

Attachments

• new016ee.jpg
    new016ee.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 55
My eldest daughter is more than capable of the daily routines i.e. feeding, temp and filter checks etc. and a reefkeeping friend is doing the water changes and bigger tasks. I'm fairly confident I'll come back to a healthy tank.

4 month with out fish you will have to get the wife to email you pics so you dont get withdrawal symptoms or wither blues :D

Dose the dauther have a tank of here own yet, by the sound of it you could have a bit of a contest on your hands, father and daughter AGA contest :D

o ya! i remember the last time you went away your daughter took care of your tank. :) 4 months without updates... unless your daughter updates on your behalf maybe ? hehe

btw 4 months off ? Did i remember correctly that you were planning to join the AGA this year ? will you make it in time ?

btw 4 months off ? Did i remember correctly that you were planning to join the AGA this year ? will you make it in time ?
I should return in June. I think the 2006 contest closes September so I'll have three months, should be plenty of time. If I don't manage to create an up-to-standard layout in that time I'll submit some old photos.

Looking great George. I quite like it. The glosso sure doesn't take long to get going, eh? (<- there's that canadian in me showing)

How are you liking the spray bar turned like that? I just did the same to mine last night, and so far I'm happy with it. It creates more of a swirling current.

How does your platty seem to be liking the tank? Mine also enjoy nibbling on the surface scum... and grazing on any algae in the tank. They are great for that.

Looking great George. I quite like it. The glosso sure doesn't take long to get going, eh? (<- there's that canadian in me showing)

How are you liking the spray bar turned like that? I just did the same to mine last night, and so far I'm happy with it. It creates more of a swirling current.

How does your platty seem to be liking the tank? Mine also enjoy nibbling on the surface scum... and grazing on any algae in the tank. They are great for that.
Thanks Jen. I love the spray bar vertically, not only does it look good (invisible) it creates just the right amount and type of circulation for my tank.

The Platy seems happy, very active compared with the Cardinals and its nice to have some extra colour at the upper level. I'm getting three others this weekend - even my wife likes them! I've never seen the surface so clear either, fantastic little fish!

Be careful when you get more... these guys breed like mad. I bet I have 15 babies kicking around in there now. I can't get them to stop. Short of getting rid of them all together, there is no way to stop them. Once I get my angles, they will keep the babies to a minimun though.

The Platy seems happy, very active compared with the Cardinals and its nice to have some extra colour at the upper level. I'm getting three others this weekend - even my wife likes them! I've never seen the surface so clear either, fantastic little fish!

Just be aware George as Jen said Platies breed like rabbits and the fry are excellent at hiding especially in planted tanks, you can easily get over run with them, anyway just a word to the wise, even when you buy a single female from the lfs you can be almost guarenteed that it is pregnant, anyway i had problems with them........never again will i make that mistake...........i also find as they get a bit older they are less active, when they are young they are very active, they also create quite a bit of poop especially if you have a good few of them, but they are a nice fish you can get nice verities and are dead easy to keep, your daughter might like the "Mickey Mouse" veriety, the tails have an imprint of a mickey mouse head and ears in siloeutte.

Just be aware George as Jen said Platies breed like rabbits and the fry are excellent at hiding especially in planted tanks, you can easily get over run with them, anyway just a word to the wise, even when you buy a single female from the lfs you can be almost guarenteed that it is pregnant, anyway i had problems with them........never again will i make that mistake...........i also find as they get a bit older they are less active, when they are young they are very active, they also create quite a bit of poop especially if you have a good few of them, but they are a nice fish you can get nice verities and are dead easy to keep, your daughter might like the "Mickey Mouse" veriety, the tails have an imprint of a mickey mouse head and ears in siloeutte.

Thats true too... They produce an aweful lot of poop. I'm sure you know about live bearers, but they can store sperm for like 3 months, and can keep producing babies even without a male around.

Thats true too... They produce an aweful lot of poop. I'm sure you know about live bearers, but they can store sperm for like 3 months, and can keep producing babies even without a male around.

hmm in that case they breed faster then rabbits ...

George do you have snails in yuor tank ? interestingly enought the surface of my tank is clean because of common pond snails grazing at the surface scum during lights off. I even see small trumpet snails doing it too.

I envy your glosso, takes an awfully short time to take off....

Most reactions

Back