Gazza Nano Log - Salty Fun

Well that was an interesting trip to get my CUC. Went to 3 fish shops, two did not have any :blink: and the one that did only had 4 hermits & 6 Astrea, no nass any where, s have had to order on line. The CUC I have got is now acclimatising them selves via the drip method. I did as ordered Seffie & not buy anything else yet :rolleyes:

:thumbs: it's very tempting isn't it :nod: I think most of us ended up buying part of our cuc on-line, I wonder why lfs don't sell them :blink:

Anyway, test this week and if still ok then go buy your first fish or coral :kana: next weekend

Seffie x

:fish:

Remember though - never buy anything you haven't researched first, even if you do trust the lfs

I know what you mean. There was loads lovely fishes & corals. It seems strange that the LFS don't stock more CUC.

I will be waiting till next month to get my first fish. Just to make sure every thing is OK. have got a mini list but wil now fine tune it & decide. I maychange my mind & get a coral but I will read "the book" first.

I know what you mean. There was loads lovely fishes & corals. It seems strange that the LFS don't stock more CUC.

I will be waiting till next month to get my first fish. Just to make sure every thing is OK. have got a mini list but wil now fine tune it & decide. I maychange my mind & get a coral but I will read "the book" first.

Yeah, 'The Book' is an excellent read :good:

What does your list look like at the moment? I am currently trying to put a list together for my 400 ltr tank, tell you what it isn't any easier than putting a list together for my nano :lol:

Seffie x

Hmmmm, I think the list has changed a few times :rolleyes: But I was thinking about 4 fishes (I guess that will be about right for my Orca, if anyone thinks more or less please let me know). I was think:

2 Clowns (obvious but a classic not too sure which type yet)
Royal Gramma/ Fairy Basslet
Royal dottyback
Citron Goby (Coral goby)
Firefsh
Mandarin(but not for a very long time)
Neon goby
Fame hawkfish

What do you guys think. I was thinking of about 12 inches of fish when fully grown? Any preferences on the above? I would like a selection of fishes on every level (top, middle & bottom).

Hmmmm, I think the list has changed a few times :rolleyes: But I was thinking about 4 fishes (I guess that will be about right for my Orca, if anyone thinks more or less please let me know). I was think:

2 Clowns (obvious but a classic not too sure which type yet)

It has to be done, stick to tank bred common juvie clowns - they swim everywhere

Royal Gramma/ Fairy Basslet
Royal dottyback

Well, you can't keep these two together without all out war happening, choose one or the other - will also swim around most places :good:

Citron Goby (Coral goby)

A very cute little fish, tends to stick around the bottom (not literally :lol:

Firefsh

Again, a good choice, in particular the purple - lovely dither fish

Mandarin(but not for a very long time)
Indeed, and then only if you can get a tank bred juvie and you have a copepod culture going for at least a month before hand

Neon goby

I wouldn't get this one

Flame hawkfish

I have one of these myself - a lovely fish, but get as a juvie and after putting in any shrimps (and make sure the shrimps are large), may take the odd small snail (but who cares :lol:), he jumps around all over the place

What do you guys think. I was thinking of about 12 inches of fish when fully grown? Any preferences on the above? I would like a selection of fishes on every level (top, middle & bottom).

Yep would agree

Seffie x

So 6 fishes left to pick out of 3/4.

My wife freaked out abit this morning a 3 inch worm was crawling across the sand. It was quite funny :hyper:

My first purchase will most probs be some shrimps & the moth after some clown. What type of shrimp would you think are best? & how many? I have read that 2 or 3 are best but would like to check.

Seffie, I will start making a mini fund for snail when I buy my Flame Hawkfish :rolleyes:

So 6 fishes left to pick out of 3/4.

My wife freaked out abit this morning a 3 inch worm was crawling across the sand. It was quite funny :hyper:

heheha, they are freaky though

My first purchase will most probs be some shrimps & the moth after some clown. What type of shrimp would you think are best? & how many? I have read that 2 or 3 are best but would like to check.

Cleaner shrimps ? I have fire shrimps which are lovely but they tend to hide a bit more - although added advantage is they don't climb all over your corals. I also have two true peppermint shrimps.

Seffie, I will start making a mini fund for snail when I buy my Flame Hawkfish :rolleyes: :blink: :lol: is that the same as a slush fund!

Seffie x

Hi All, told the wife about the Flame Hawkfish & that they will eat Snails every now & then & she was horrified... SO if anyone asks its only when they are not fed properly :blink:

I have finished off my CUC today. Got 3 Bumble bee Snails & 7 Nass through. However non of them are in the sand which I hoped. I may have to get something else to turn over the sand. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I will do tests on Sunday morning & if all OK I will be popping to the LFS to get either some clowns or Shrimps not to sure which yet.

Also, forgot to ask, I would like to put in some nice tropical Seaweed, none of my LFS has any. On aone of the tread I have seen a tank with a couple in & look really nice (cannot find the thread). So 2 questions:
1. How mature does my tank need to be.
2. Anyone know a good online store.

Hi All, told the wife about the Flame Hawkfish & that they will eat Snails every now & then & she was horrified... SO if anyone asks its only when they are not fed properly :blink:

:rolleyes:

I have finished off my CUC today. Got 3 Bumble bee Snails & 7 Nass through. However non of them are in the sand which I hoped. I may have to get something else to turn over the sand. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

If they are Nass, they will go in the sand, don't worry

I will do tests on Sunday morning & if all OK I will be popping to the LFS to get either some clowns or Shrimps not to sure which yet.

Excellent - get the fish, shrimps need to go in a bit later :good:

Also, forgot to ask, I would like to put in some nice tropical Seaweed, none of my LFS has any. On aone of the tread I have seen a tank with a couple in & look really nice (cannot find the thread). So 2 questions:

Would agree, I like the red one

1. How mature does my tank need to be.

Would be fine now

2. Anyone know a good online store.

I know Amwell sells it, but not sure if they post out - email them and see, they are very helpful - otherwise look on fishermans frags or fleabay

Seffie x

HI All,

Well I have got my two clowns. Had them in for a week now. I asked the little ones what they want to call them & they kept saying NEMO. So after half hours or so we have agreed the names. "NEM" & "MOW".... Have found two baby snails on the glass this morning which is cool. (Pictures will come when I have found out where the wife has put the camera).

How long should I leave it before I put anything else in the tank (e.g fish or coral) after I have inroduced the clowns? I have done water tests & they seem fine, so far.

I was thinking in a few weeks time getting a Toadstool Leather Coral or a Devil finger coral. I have found a place that has has both on one rock which looks pretty cool. By what I have read the clowns may host in the Toadstool. By what I have read these should go well for me to start with because they are quite hardy plus thye look good :rolleyes:

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

HI All,

Well I have got my two clowns. Had them in for a week now. I asked the little ones what they want to call them & they kept saying NEMO. So after half hours or so we have agreed the names. "NEM" & "MOW".... Have found two baby snails on the glass this morning which is cool. (Pictures will come when I have found out where the wife has put the camera).

How cute, find that blooming camera and stop teasing us :p

How long should I leave it before I put anything else in the tank (e.g fish or coral) after I have inroduced the clowns? I have done water tests & they seem fine, so far.

I would leave it a week, test and then go from there :good:

I was thinking in a few weeks time getting a Toadstool Leather Coral

Excellent choice, just ensure it is not a fiji yellow

or a Devil finger coral. I have found a place that has has both on one rock which looks pretty cool.

Don't buy two on one rock unless you are planning on splitting them - they grow too large to be squashed next to each other

By what I have read the clowns may host in the Toadstool. By what I have read these should go well for me to start with because they are quite hardy plus thye look good :rolleyes:

Indeed yes, my Clowns have hosted in my Toadstool and he is not bothered by them at all

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Think the toadstool is an excellent choice for your first coral - just remember, if it looks yellow don't buy it and also he will sulk, boy they are like teenagers :crazy: so don't worry when he doesn't open right up or extend his polyps - he will probably shed as well :good:

Seffie x

Excellant, will go for a Toadstool then. (Was also looking at a Zoanthid).

Do you add any other additives for your Toadstool Seffie? Reading through some threads there seems to be a dif of opionion. I know that with the water change every week I am putting additives in. However if it means me buying something for £10 to help look after them thats a no brainer...

Thanks.

Excellant, will go for a Toadstool then. (Was also looking at a Zoanthid).

Do you add any other additives for your Toadstool Seffie? Reading through some threads there seems to be a dif of opionion. I know that with the water change every week I am putting additives in. However if it means me buying something for £10 to help look after them thats a no brainer...

Thanks.

Don't add anything unless you have tested for it! What were you thinking of adding?

Oh and Zoas, another excellent choice, try to go for the high colour varieties but do remember some of them are toxic, if you have allergies or anything like that be very careful when handling - don't panic though, they are a good choice and I handle mine, I do get the occassional itch on my hand after being in the tank, but have no idea if it is the zoas or something else, anyway, is not a problem to me :good: or most other people. Reefers should always have antihistamin sitting in the cupboard, just in case of any reaction, pop a pill :good:

http://www.zoaphoria.co.uk/

http://www.justcorals.co.uk/Soft_Corals/storepage114267.aspx

Both Trod and I have bought from these sites :good: just remember, they are always smaller than you think lol

Seffie x

I was not thinking of anything specific. Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the links. I am testing today & if al goes well I may be buying my first coral :shout:

Most reactions

Back