From 48 To 180 In 3.0 Seconds Flat

Oh shut up :p I love them, too bad they won't keep their little white markings but I had started to suspect that was the case :(

They are really going to town on the tank, will they graze on plant leaves as well? They seem to be mostly sticking to the wood at the moment, but the stuff is everywhere so...lol

Also the (at least) daily headcount is getting more and more complicated all the time!!

Yep, they will strip your whole tank of any diatoms. Should be pretty spanking by tomorrow morning/eveing. :good:

If you want white seams then see if you can source some L183's. :good:

Well these BNs are absolutely ploughing through the diatoms, it's unbelievable really because they are so tiny! On the other hand, it's obvious how much they are eating because one of them I've never seen him without a big bit of poo bigger than he is flowing gracefully behind... :sick:

The crypts have been totally polished clean but I don't think they have moved on to the wisteria because they are looking pretty bad still, I wonder if they feel too exposed on the leaves because they are quite out in the open?

Edit: typos are for schmucks

You've convinced me. I should have tried out some little BN's instead of full growns. Diatoms are also for schmucks!

Juveniles are far better as they eat a lot quicker than adults as they want to grow!

Great job AA! They will tackle the wisteria soon enough.

Well i just washed out the 48l and all of it's gear ready to be picked up by it's new owner tomorrow and i'm kind of sad! But i could hear the excitement in the voice of the person who is getting it when we arranged pick up and that makes me happy
blush.gif

I'm also going to miss the easy maintenance of that thing lol, it was so easy to clean because i can just move it/tip it no problem, now anything like that is a very careful two man job!

I've got dead spots in my tank and I'm getting a build up up delicious poo in both back corners. I've been using my turkey baster to swoosh water in the corners and move the mess back into the water column so the filter can deal with it but I'd like another alternative. I know I could put a powerhead in there but where would I need to place it so that both back corners are swept clean? The other problem is that this is where my fish like to rest (which is why the poo is there I imagine!) and I don't want to stress them out by removing their comfy hidey holes...

Must be sad letting go of your first tank, but what a great price you got! It sounds like the new owners will look after it well.

Do you use a gravel cleaner when you change the water? I always syphon mine out with it and pick up as much debris as I can. I don't know how much plecs poo, but I'd guess you could pick up a fair bit with it.

Yes I do use a gravel vac, it just manages to build up quite a lot between my weekly vacs lol. I am probably overfeeding at the moment but I'm trying to fatten up my sickly ones :p

How about doing 2-3 small waterchanges a week then? Maybe about 10%, just sucking up the mess and refilling with dechlorinated water. You think that might work?

Just found this thread, looks nice AA. Those little BNs seem to be doing a great job :good:

Thanks pablo! They sure are, they got a nice courgette reward for their good service tonight :p

In regards to cleaning up poo, it doesn't look like my python system really has enough oomph to do the job anyway so I'm either going to have to gravel vac the old fashioned way, with a bucket or...do something else!

Turkey baster twice a week? I was a tiny bit worried about you and the poo. You seem to have the attitude I do about a nice clean tank and the BN's were so hard for me to handle. I really want some again... Arg.

Most reactions

Back