Fishless Cycling Trouble! Any Advice Appreciated1

I feel your pain - literally!
Are you using API tests? I only ask as my cycle seems to be stuck at 0.25ppm after 12 hours from dosing to 2ppm. NitrItes are shifting to 0 in 12 hrs no problem. Do I have a problem with the A-bacs or is it down to the API test kit?
Got to test in 2 hours as added to 2pmm this lunchtime so have fingers crossed that this time it will be nearer to if not at 0!
I've recently added some floating plants to the tank (2 days ago) so am not sure what impact if any that will have had, but would have thought it would be positive. Having said that I did have to scoop out some without roots that had gone transparent so maybe they were rotting and keeping the ammonia up. I don't know - I guess I'm speculating. I noticed tonight that the plants seem to have imported about 3 snails and they seem to be ok scooting about the tank - does this mean the ammonia isn't at a toxic level or are common snails more ammonia-tolerant?

I use API and have found them ok tbh. Plants shouldn't have any bad effects, the opposite really (helping to reduce nitrates). Rotting plants may increase nitrates. I'm not sure how snails react to ammonia levels. Is your test-tube nice and clean? Also, how high are your nitrates? As I'm sure your aware high nitrates can stall a cycle.If the nitrates are off the chart then a water change is the only way to reduce them.

The API kits have been known to return false positives for ammonia, normally .25

Give it a quick google and read up on it

Some people have suggested that the tubes must be thoroughly washed and dried

I never dry my tubes other than sticking upside down in the box

Yes I learned about the nitrates the hard way welshweeks as I said in previous post! lol
Today nitrAtes were 80ppm and pH 7.6 - I'm keeping a very close eye on them now. Was checking them weekly before the crash but checking them daily now!
I thoroughly rinse the testubes and lids and leave them to air-dry.
I have read a thread on here about 0.25 ammonia levels but I think I'm too scared to take it for granted that it's a test kit problem rather than an actual A-bac problem. I'll give it a few more days I think and see what happens.

Just an update on the readings 24hrs on;

Ammonia - 1.0ppm (slightly above, same as yesterday)
Nitrite - 0ppm
P.H - 7.6ppm

So no change in 24hrs. The ammonia MIGHT be a slightly lighter green but nothing significant! 

Both ammonia and nitrItes were 0.25ppm last night. Ammonia 0 and nitrItes 0-0.25 this morning Have dosed again with 0.5ml Kleenoff to 2ppm. Will check again tonight <sigh>

aaronc said:
Some people have suggested that the tubes must be thoroughly washed and dried
I suddenly got a giggle moment in me that if this were me,this would be the point where I realise I am using my ammonia dosing dropper to get my water sample...

Well I almost had a panic this morning when my cycling tank pH appeared to have shot up from 7.8 to 8.4-8.8! Then it struck me that I had just dosed with ammonia and when I check up it has a pH of 11.6 apparently which was a big phew moment for me!

This thread is making me dread my cycle, and the tank isn't even set up yet lol

Aaron

Aaron, get yourself some mature media from a friend or the LFS, and you won't have to worry at all. 
yes.gif

I used mature gravel after the first week which did kickstart the process but I removed it a couple of weeks later as I didn't want to leave it in and thought it was better out before the cycle completed.

Most reactions

Back