Is my tank ready for more fish? Is it cycled?

I do not agree that most places that sel fish Q them at all let alone for weeks. Chain pet stores are the worst. But when one sells live things the longer you keep them the more they cost and the better the chance you may lose some to death. So the solution and what the stores would love is for the fish to be sold almost before the hit the water in the store for sale tanks.

The way to know the difference is stores which Q for 4 weeks will charge a lot more than the stores that plop and drop them into sales tanks when they arrive. The other thing to look for when shopping for fish in a store is how many dead ones you can see in the tanks. Good stores remove dead fish and do not have to do so often.

Over the years I have bought very few fish from a retail store. I have most of my fished shipped to me. Many are bred by the sellers and some are imported.

Hi

I have a 90L freshwater tank and been running for nearly 2 weeks. I recently put in 2 white finned tetras and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all showing zero. Had the fish about 2 days. I have about 5 live plants that are growing already. I added api quick start when starting the tank. I was ghost feeding for a week but nothing was happening so added two small tetras but still nothing. Do we think the live plants are doing the cycle. And do you think it’s safe to add a couple more tetras now or should I wait longer?
Hi,
Nice setup. You obviously have a discerning eye. All the hints you have received are Good advice. If you are like me and get lazy with water changes, I advise keeping a close eye on ph levels Plants will absorb some nitrates, but nothing will reduce nitrate has efficiently as regular water changes. Do you have room for a larger tank?

Most reactions

Back