Fish 'Shed' Is under construction!!

Looks blimmin' good!

Just a quick question - you mentioned that your estate is relatively new and I assume that your house is new-ish too.

Have you allowed for any kind of settlement or subsitance?!? :hyper:

Morning all...

Boy do I ache thismorning - too much time hunched over and on my knees in the cold :/

Tonight will see the 1200 and 800 tanks in place and I'll pop out at lunch and get some pipework to link the tanks.

Might knock up my work bench and empty the fish stuff from all over the house into its new home.

As for subsideance, The ground its built on is very hard.. typical builders 0.5" loose top soil and thats it :)
Its built on 18" stakes in the ground (2 rows of 6 stakes and the bottom bearer is bolted to the garage wall.

Wow some majour progress, i,m planning one for next year, but i,m not allowed to start it untill the house is finished, action stations :lol:

Have you thought about making a large sump type filter to do all your tanks.
That way you could setup two systers on the difrent walls to run difrent water peramiters.
You could put valves to isolate tanks and run them indevidually, if you wantet to put something else in or to isolate to treat them.
You would be able to heat you tanks with a few large heaters insted of one in every one, less electric.

There's also the poisibility of setting up an automatic water change system to lighten the work load,

I thing it might prove to much for a canister filter to do all of them together
What where you thinking of, a shyphon loop between each, or drilling the tanks, it just seams a little problamatic.

I've got water in the first tank :)...

the rest of the shed isnt finished yet... but there is water in a tank :D

The 1200 and the 2fts have all been painted now and will be ready to setup when its dry.

I bought the pipe for the tank links today and mocked up how it'll work...

shed36.jpg

The 1200 will be the first to have fish in it - probubly at the weekend if i get my finger out this week.

I waht to see what temp the tank water gets up to just by sitting in the shed with the blower on - after filling from the garden hose and having a heater on for 1hour, it was at 12deg C when I came in at 10:00. The tank heater is now off... I'll update tomorow night.

I've got to put together a few more breeding caves for the plecs too - All the tanks need to be furnished - I over looked that :rolleyes:

Good job smithrc..looks fantastic!

your bristle noses will soon be getting some dedicated attention in their own breeding tank (tanks mates will be the Syno petricolas - but they wont be breeding for a long time yet)

Love it is all I can SAY.... :drool:

I like how you Drilled the Pipe, and then Placed the Sponge over it for a good little piece of Bio Filtration.

One thing Worries me though, You said that you used a Garden Hose to fill your tank.

If it's an Old Hose it's not to bad as long as it wasn't Used to Spray chems with.

But a Newer Hose have been known to leech off Chems used to make them as you fill the tanks, While most Bleed out of the water after a Couple of days in the tank, There still is a Remote Poss that there maybe something Still in there that can Harm your Fish.

You may already know this, BUT I just thought it was worth telling about. :sick:

One thing Worries me though, You said that you used a Garden Hose to fill your tank.

the hose is fine... its filled our other tanks in the past...

the tank was at 15deg C this morning... but the paint on the others is dry.

The reason i've got a tank running is that the filter thats on it (an external 303 that fill be on the 2fts) was last used on a marine tank. I wanted to get water running throught it to clean it out. the water in the tank will be drained befoer its inhabited.

I'll be doing a water change on our existing tank and using that to fill them as it'll be up to temp already.
I've got filters running in our established tanks, along with double ammounts of ceramics and foams in our other externals so that I can just transfer across and be ready for fish.

Garden hoses have always worked for me! I just make sure that any water that has sat in it is disposed of by watering the garden.

Russ, how are you going to 'pump' the water out of the tanks and into the external filter?!? Just use the pump on the filter? or syphon it out ?!? I've only just woken up, so excuse the stupid questions !!!

Andy

Russ, how are you going to 'pump' the water out of the tanks and into the external filter?!? Just use the pump on the filter? or syphon it out ?!? I've only just woken up, so excuse the stupid questions !!!

Andy

Your excused...

it'll work as any normal external... it does it all its self..
Your running a fluval 304 arnt you - Its the same filter :p

it'll take the water out of one end of the 3 tanks and pump it back in the other end. I just need to seperate the in and out pipes.

But how will the water get from 1 tank to the next etc ?!?

I just can't get the idea clear in my head !!! You wouldn't think I did A-level Physics would you !!!! :D

Andy

But how will the water get from 1 tank to the next etc ?!?

I just can't get the idea clear in my head !!! You wouldn't think I did A-level Physics would you !!!! :D

Andy

does this help?

link.jpg

I put gravel in the 800 and the 1200 tonight - then went down the pub :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking you were going to do.....

Thought about it a bit more last night, and I know understand the princinples behind it etc ;)

Basically as you pump water out of the end tank, it then creates a syphon effect out of the middle tank, which in turn syphons out of the first tank, which is filled back up by the outlet from the filter ;)

One thought, when you set it up, won't the connecting syphon pipes need to be initially filled with water before the syphon effect will work ?!?

Andy

Most reactions

Back