Fish Quiz

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

To the namers credit, they do look like little hairs on the smaller gourami species. To me they look like little arms on my opaline, and I saw a giant gourami where they looked like giant sticks. My gourami will say "hello" to me by putting out one of his little arms to the glass.

I'm pretty sure all trichogasters have the two little arms on 'em.

eaglesaquarium said:
Tricho - of or relating to hair

gaster - relating to the abdomen

So, trichogaster means having hairs grow from the abdomen.

Which is rather appropriate for the Gourami family, I'm sure you would agree.

Eagles, I doff my hat to you, sir. Your perspicacity knows no bounds.

Please grace us with your next question.

I did not know that...

Is it always or mostly the left feeler they put out to you?

the_lock_man said:

Tricho - of or relating to hair

gaster - relating to the abdomen

So, trichogaster means having hairs grow from the abdomen.

Which is rather appropriate for the Gourami family, I'm sure you would agree.

Eagles, I doff my hat to you, sir. Your perspicacity knows no bounds.

Please grace us with your next question.

I work in the science field...  :p

fm1978 said:
I did not know that...

Is it always or mostly the left feeler they put out to you?

I thought I was the one to ask the next question?! :eek:

I'll answer that as well... I think it depends on the fish.  Right feelered fish will extend the right, left feelered fish will extend the left.  An ambidexterous fish would extend either depending on which would be easier at that moment.

Now to the question: 

(Not a fish question, but nonetheless.)

How do dolphins sleep?

Everybody's a comedian. :grr:

ooh, excellent question, I saw this on a tv doc ages ago.

If remember right, they do not fully go to sleep, more like a relaxation sleep, half brain shutdown and one eye open sorta thing. Also they can sleep either vertically or horizontally, much like whales. 

Do bear in mind they do need to breath air periodically (maybe every hour or two in this state)  and sometimes sleep like logs, at night usually, with breather hole at surface of water.

Also young dolphins sleep by being towed by their mother, very near the surface of water.

Don't think there is one specific answer to this. 

Ch4rlie said:
ooh, excellent question, I saw this on a tv doc ages ago.

If remember right, they do not fully go to sleep, more like a relaxation sleep, half brain shutdown and one eye open sorta thing. Also they can sleep either vertically or horizontally, much like whales. 

Do bear in mind they do need to breath air periodically (maybe every hour or two in this state)  and sometimes sleep like logs, at night usually, with breather hole at surface of water.

Also young dolphins sleep by being towed by their mother, very near the surface of water.

Don't think there is one specific answer to this. 

That was what I was looking for...  You're up!

Wayheey :lol:

Staying on theme of ocean mammals.  ;)

Sperm Whales, how deep can they dive to on average and how long can they hold their breath?

eaglesaquarium said:
Just shy of 1 km (985m) and ~45 minutes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16689963

I'll give you that one Eagles, there are several different variations of this answer but on AVERAGE these whales do dive to about 1km and 45 mins to an hour to hold breath.

However they CAN hold breath for longer and dive deeper, but its the average answer I was after ;)

Ch4rlie said:

Just shy of 1 km (985m) and ~45 minutes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16689963

I'll give you that one Eagles, there are several different variations of this answer but on AVERAGE these whales do dive to about 1km and 45 mins to an hour to hold breath.

However they CAN hold breath for longer and dive deeper, but its the average answer I was after
wink.png

I was going by the google scholar article.  :p

Next question:

What is the problem with the name 'cuttlefish'?

Most reactions

Back