Dying Betta

Just as a general point since I don't know where Silencedogood lives, not everywhere has iodine in table salt. In the UK, we have to look for iodised table salt if we want iodine. But it does contain anti-caking agents here.
A lot of Epsom salts have perfume in it as it is used for humans to add to their baths.

Just as a general point since I don't know where Silencedogood lives, not everywhere has iodine in table salt. In the UK, we have to look for iodised table salt if we want iodine. But it does contain anti-caking agents here.
A lot of Epsom salts have perfume in it as it is used for humans to add to their baths.
I'm in New Hampshire, United States and that's how it is here too. Actually, I just found some pure Epsom salt and I put five tablespoons to five gallons. I am just about to put the betta in for 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:

I’m not sure I’d take the contents of either of these articles as a positive for keeping Betta with other fish.

I would survive in some of the temperatures mentioned by those members living in Thailand etc. but would I thrive..? No I’d be hiding somewhere dark praying for the sun/heat to stop. I’d even be able to make arrangements to go somewhere more suitable to my likes, fish can’t do that, they have to put up with what we give them so, in my opinion, we should ensure we provide the closest to their needs as we can.

I’m not sure I’d take the contents of either of these articles as a positive for keeping Betta with other fish.

I would survive in some of the temperatures mentioned by those members living in Thailand etc. but would I thrive..? No I’d be hiding somewhere dark praying for the sun/heat to stop. I’d even be able to make arrangements to go somewhere more suitable to my likes, fish can’t do that, they have to put up with what we give them so, in my opinion, we should ensure we provide the closest to their needs as we can.
Do you mean that the water temperature is too hot for the betta or the tank in general? Like I mentioned before, he was thriving before the ick episode so I'm not sure that the tank water affected him.

Since I'm doing Epsom salt baths, should I keep the aquarium salt in the hospital tank?

I kind of already figured out that you aren't interested in my opinion. While your motivations might be coming from a good place I just think it's not right for people to turn to a forum for advice and instead they get shamed. I don't think that's helpful for anyone. I've seen it happen a lot and I guess I got tired of just clicking off without calling it out.
Are they being shamed..? I’d managed to kill two Bettas before finding this site and realising that running a filter is not cycling.

I have never been shamed, just given very good and thoughtful advice from people that know way more on the subject than I do.

If you come to a forum asking for advice, why throw it all back to the person giving it...if you know what you’re doing, you don’t need to ask the question.

Do you mean that the water temperature is too hot for the betta or the tank in general? Like I mentioned before, he was thriving before the ick episode so I'm not sure that the tank water affected him.
Any of it, the water hardness, the fact that Betta are naturally solitary (apart from mating).

It shouldn’t be about making the different fish survive with a whole load of compromise, it should be about making the best environment for each species.

Last edited:
Are they being shamed..? I’d managed to kill two Bettas before finding this site and realising that running a filter is not cycling.

I have never been shamed, just given very good and thoughtful advice from people that know way more on the subject than I do.

If you come to a forum asking for advice, why throw it all back to the person giving it...if you know what you’re doing, you don’t need to ask the question.
I didn't ask the question about whether I'm housing my betta correctly. I asked how to treat my betta. That information was volunteered, and was not nicely given.

Any of it, the water hardness, the fact that Betta are naturally solitary (apart from mating).

It should be about making the different fish survive with a whole load of compromise, it should be about making the best environment for each species.
I don't think I'm compromising any of my fish.

I didn't ask the question about whether I'm housing my betta correctly. I asked how to treat my betta. That information was volunteered, and was not nicely given.
Housing it appropriately would probably have reduced the need for treatment. I don’t know anyone personally on this site, so it is always difficult to read a ‘tone’. Some people write loads, others are shorter and more to the point.

Byron wrote a very good reply as to why Betta fish should be kept alone. I’ve got no idea on how to link it to this discussion, but it was in a thread about a Betta and tetra with a missing eye...

Housing it appropriately would probably have reduced the need for treatment. I don’t know anyone personally on this site, so it is always difficult to read a ‘tone’. Some people write loads, others are shorter and more to the point.
There are no excuses for cursing and calling people mental or accusing them of neglecting their fish. Again, my betta was healthy for the eight months that I had him. Since I moved, the water changed, my fish got ick, and now he has dropsy.

Byron wrote a very good reply as to why Betta fish should be kept alone. I’ve got no idea on how to link it to this discussion, but it was in a thread about a Betta and tetra with a missing eye...
That sounds like the betta was territorial, which mine is not at all.

That sounds like the betta was territorial, which mine is not at all.
I’ve decided to delete what I’d started to write.
Sometimes, people think they know better than years of genetics and experience, fortunately we’re talking about fish, some people make these choices with ‘cuddly’ tigers....

Since I'm doing Epsom salt baths, should I keep the aquarium salt in the hospital tank?
I'm not entirely sure, maybe someone here has more experience with using both. But in general, I recommend not using the aquarium salt in this case, I don't think it will help that much and could stress him out more.

Most reactions

Back